Argyll CMS printer profile workflow update

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
Hi pharmacist,

Thanks for the three profiles. These are the three ICC Profile Inspector opening pages:-

Click to enlarge
Now all we have to do is work out the meaning of the differences.

Regards Emu

P.S. It pays to print out each image on a piece of A4

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Hi Emulator,

I suggest you to upload both files to the website iccview.de (german/english) and have a look particularly of the Netbit Glossy profile for the Epson Pro 3880 (both the 648 patch standard and the 1296 high patch count profile) and have a look at the 3D image of both profiles. The difference between 648 and 1296 patch profiles is less than 1 %. Also softproofing using both profiles can give you an idea about the hardly to see difference of both profiles.

Note: the last profile is for the R3000 !!!

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
I have experimented on creating profile making using the 648 patch Argyll CMS work flow and discovered Argyll CMS is able to squeeze out more available colours that can be reproduced by my printers. Gamut increase is about 15-25 %, not only by comparing the profiles with iccview.de but also in real world tests printing the same pictures with profiles created with the Colormunki software as well as the ones made with ArgyllCMS. I am not sure what is causing this difference, but the difference is nor printer or paper dependable. Especially out-of-gamut colours are reproduced more perceptually accurate towards the original colours on my screen, making the prints jumps out from the paper vividly.

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
Hi pharmacist,

I have installed your Argyll profiles and they sit happily in the Win SP "color" file. I have viewed and compared them in Wincolor.exe successfully, they are noticeably different from my Canon CM profiles as you might expect.

I tried ICCView.de version 2.0, but without success. Initially the black VRML window told me I needed to install a VRML file, I chose Cortona 3D and tried to download and install, but halfway through it told me I had something else missing and stopped the install.

I then went to the Cortona website and installed Cortona 3D successfully. Back to ICC View and the black window continued to tell me I needed to install a VRML file. However, I proceeded to ICCView 2.0 and successfully uploaded two of your Argyll profiles.

I tried the comparison display which produced an unstable, flickering image of the profiles and the list of the two profiles details. The display largely remained black, but flickered on and off if you moved the mouse. I could not find any description of which PC controls were to be used to manipulate the image. So ICCView.de did not work for me. Much as I admire all multi-lingual contributors, I am sorry to admit I don't speak or read German!

Regards
Emu

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Hi Emulator,

The site iccview.de has an english option as well. I presume your graphics can cope with direct 3D or openGL acceleration ? It works by dragging and rotating the image accordingly.

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
Yes, I was using the English option, but the help is only in German!

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Emulator said:
Yes, I was using the English option, but the help is only in German!
Google Translate is your friend :).

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
Useful idea, but when translated the help wasn't any help. ICCView now refuses to display uploaded files! I think I'll stick to WinColor.exe.

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
I have been spending a little time trying to get to grips with the profile data and the means to display their content, but it all takes up a lot of space, when trying to display the results.

(click to enlarge)

This, for example, is the set of colorimetric intent output curves for pharmacist's Epson Pro 3880 profile, the inputs being linear.:caf

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Hi cls,

many thanks for the link, it seems we should roll back to the older 1.40 version instead fo the latest 1.60.