Waste ink, Canon & a Serious Question

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
After going to bed early for the first time in months, I naturally spent at least 2 hours lying there staring at the ceiling telling my brain to switch the hell off... My wife wasn't much better and no, this post isn't going to get sordid (Sorry! :p)

Anyhoo... Eventually I found my brain ticking over the waste ink problem in Canons and the following nuggets of information.

1. Waste pads and/or waste pump system on Canon printers are not "simple to access" jobs

2. For MP printer models a high level of technical skill is required just to take the thing apart.
2b. An even greater technical memory is required to put the damned thing back together again

3. While drilling holes in the base of a printer may appear "appealing" as a simpler option there are some caveats to this too:
3b. You have to know where to drill
3c. You have to know how deep to drill
3d. You need to be under the printer (You can't simply turn the printer over and expect all that waste ink to just stay there if you've reset the waste counter already)

4. Even if you do drill holes and place the printer over a drip tray there are yet more caveats to consider
4b. If the holes are directly under the waste pump system the air will get to the waste tubes and probably start to dry out the ink in them
4c. Dry ink in waste tubes equals high likelihood of a clog
4d. A clog in the waste tubes is going to equal a mess, poor printhead cleaning/priming and eventually a dead printhead/printer

5. Resetting Canon waste ink counters is no longer as simple as it once was... Restricted access to software tools is an issue.

So, with all these things in mind I considered whether it would be possible to come up with a kit that could tackle each of these issues without breaking the bank and that's where each of you come in... and I particular want to get input from people who DO NOT consider themselves technically adept as well as those who can strip a drill down, replace the bushes and still have time to walk the dog before the wife hollars that it's dinner time... ;)

My considered opinion is that the best solution is still going to involve drilling holes in the base of the printer but with the following points:

1. There would need to be a template provided that stuck to the bottom of the printer and indicated where to drill

2. A specific depth would be indicated (drill bit would have to be marked to that depth by user).

3. A low profile sump part would need to be provided that could be firmly glued/attached to the base of the printer.
3b. This part would need to be able to cover the drilled area
3c. A simple but effective adhesive would need to be provided with the part to stop circulating air getting in.
3d. The part would need to be custom designed and manufactured (nothing exists at present)
3e. The part would redirect waste into a collection vessel sealed against air entering but able to expand (ie: the waste bags I that comprise some of my waste kits)

4. The printer would need to be elevated approximately 2 inches to allow the ink to seep/flow down into the sump and bag collection vessel
4b. The elevation could be a DIY option "bits of wood" or a preformed holder with relevant areas for the sump/bag to sit with an area under the sump to catch any leakage.

Now, for those of us with technical skills and time on our hands, this sort of kit might well appeal but there's only a limited scope for something like this and as a result any investment in custom parts, research into sealant materials and/or plastic forming of bases, etc... is unlikely to be covered by, what I perceive to be minimal orders.

If that wasn't enough there's also the fact that generating the necessary templates for knowing where to drill requires investment in printers to strip apart or, shipping costs for DOA (spares/repairs) printers to be used in the same way... or for willing community members to ignore the advice and "try this at home" :)

So, really the questions I have are these:

- If you have Canon printers would this interest you?
- Why?
- What sort of price range would you be prepared to consider a solution like this at?
- Would you be happier just having the template to drill the holes with and fashion something yourself out of a small funnel and some tubing?
- Can you see potential problems with the approach that I've missed?

- Gut check time, given this and other factors, would you support this idea or be calling the people with the white coats to come get me? ;)

At this stage it's very much a "I wonder if" type thought but to my mind, I think the need to drill the case is a bigger problem than the issue of custom parts or cost... Thoughts very much sought and welcome though...

Go for it...

RMM

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Websnail,

Are the tools available to even be able to reset the recent printers?

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
RMM said:
Are the tools available to even be able to reset the recent printers?
Some are... but I'll be honest I haven't done a proper review to check...

jackson

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Since the ink is water based and water evapourates when exposed to air, why isn't the inky water evapourating.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
websnail Did you get any sleep after your third revamp on the waste ink sys? or did the sun (Son) snake into your room first..:ya

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
The Hat said:
websnail Did you get any sleep after your third revamp on the waste ink sys? or did the sun (Son) snake into your room first..:ya
I'm subsisting on 5 - 6 hours a night at present due to all the work that needs doing... Just last few molars pushing through now...

Anyway... *smacks Hat* back on topic...

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
jackson said:
Since the ink is water based and water evapourates when exposed to air, why isn't the inky water evapourating.
Because the waste ink absorber pads are almost totally enclosed in plastic and have very little contact with ambient air. It appears to me that this is purposeful in order to permit additional ink to be allowed to seep past the old ink deposits. If it were exposed to air and allowed to dry out, it wouldn't take long for the new ink to face an obstruction of dried pigment ink preventing the ability of the pads to absorb any more deposited ink. Read this for more info.

gigigogu

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi websnail

I tried your idea and it works!

I did it to my IP4500 and is far easier than dismantling the hole printer to clean the pads.

If you wish to receive some photos and comments please let me know.

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
Why not just drill a LARGE hole (say, 1" diameter) and then lay several layers of paper towels/absorbers between a drip tray and the bottom of the printer, with a sponge-like material to hold the "exterior absorbers" in contact with the waste pads. Just let waste ink wick it's way out. Discard absorbers as required.

Wayne