Unused Canon ip5200 will not work - 12 alternating flashes

Mediokrates

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
My thoughts exactly!

I asked canon online what the deal was, I'll see what they have to say.

Though I'm mystfied why this is happening now. The cartridge was recognized when I had loaded the purge unit without the broken part, and the printer did all the good start up stuff. No blinking alarm lights then.

I'm pretty careful with the cartridges and printhead. I even stored the cartridges in a ziplock while I was cleaning the printhead.

Interestingly though, the magenta cartridge has less ink in it than the others. Wonder why that is, since they're all the original set.

Mediokrates

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Success!!!! :D

I replaced the magenta ink cartridge, and just completed a successful printhead alignment.
Looks like I've got a couple clogged nozzles still though:( even after a deep cleaning. Maybe I'll soak the printhead again.

Gonna clean everything up, and put the case back together.

Thanks to everyone for all the help & support.
I couldn't have done it without you. I sure learned a lot about printers.

I never thought that I'd get the printer working, and started this as more of a learning experience, but lookee lookee.

Now I'm gonna write a nasty letter to Canon!

emerald

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Mediokrates: I'm sure there are others like me who admire your tenacity. I had a feeling that you were going to fix this printer, and you did! You mentioned that you took some pictures during the process. It would help others facing purge unit problems if you would share those images and your procedures while they are still fresh in your mind.

The clogged nozzles will just take time and patience to fix. There's a wealth of information on this forum about clearing clogged nozzles. Look for posts by ghwellsjr, trigger37, grandad35 and others. They can steer you away from fatal mistakes. And they also know the little tricks to keep a printer in good health. Take care, friend.

Mediokrates

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks emerald,

You were a big help!

I gotta a question though, now that I've got the outer case back on. (Putting the printer back in the case was the hardest part of this whole process.)

The printer isn't very silent. It makes a moderate kchunk noise as the carriage moves about. Is this normal? I can't think of or see anything it could be clipping. Plus doesn't quite sound like its hitting something.
My gf says she thinks it sounds normal, but I wouldn't know, as I've only ever used dotmatrix :) and laser printers.

Thanks

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Mediokrates said:
My gf says she thinks it sounds normal, but I wouldn't know, as I've only ever used dotmatrix :) and laser printers.
I once had one of those dominatrix's too, but had to give it up - too high a cost of total ownership. :p

emerald

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I've never had an ip5200 printer around to know what sounds "normal." As a general rule, most Canon printers make little noise when the carriage moves left and right. In fact, I've had printers, (i960, i560, ip3000, ip4000, ip5000, ip4200 - see my profile) that hardly make a noise while printing a large photo. I'm old and a little deaf so I wouldn't notice it was printing except for the fact that the printer stand wobbles back and forth. The most noise they make is when it first starts up and drags a sheet of paper into the printer. That action is generally accompanied by a "whack" when it starts up.

The symptom you describe merits further attention. If it's not a lot of trouble to remove the top half of the case, you could probably make it functional and then look and listen. You might have to improvise a paper holder. If the printer is not fastened properly to the base, it might be noisy. Worse yet, it might become damaged. Sometimes it's difficult to get the printer frame to seat properly on the base. You mentioned that was the most trouble you had was putting the printer back in the case. If you feel something is "just not right", that's the place to start. We're still pulling for you, friend.

Mediokrates

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
InkJet Guru?...

I say InkJet Master!

You were right, emerald. There's a bundle of brown and purple wires that run to the control panel from the printer. I had taped these together and I think the carriage was just catching the bundle as it went to the far right. I tucked them in better, replaced the cover, and now the printer is pretty quiet.

Thank you Master

slocumeddie

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
stratman

Total cost of ownership should not be considered excessive if customer service is exemplary and the product meets your needs............:p

One could also try the "German Method" in an attempt to whip things into shape..........but do not tie yourself to only one product.........:p