Unused Canon ip5200 will not work - 12 alternating flashes

Mediokrates

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi all,

I few years ago, my girlfriend received a brand new Canon ip5200 for christmas. Shortly thereafter, she moved in with me. As I had my own printer, we never even took the 5200 out of the box. A few months ago, my printer died, and I decided to finally hook up the 5200.
I followed all the instructions in the manual, and installed the drivers on my computer. While test printing, I got a paper jam. I believe I cleared the jam, but ever since I can't get the printer to work.

I now get the warning lamp whenever I turn on the printer. The orange light flashes 12 times, alternating with the green power, before the green light holds steady.

I know the printer must be out of warranty, as it was stored away, unopened for 2 or 3 years. But it has never been used.

Can anyone solve this?

Thanks,

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
I think You still got something stuck inside your printer:

12 times, AP position error [6A00]
The faulty parts may be:

- Sheet feed unit (QM2-2278)
- Logic board ass'y (QM2-2733
- Purge unit (QM2-2252)

Mediokrates

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks Smile,

I'm hoping that's the issue. I've used a flashlight, but can't see anything. I've looked but can't find anything online which will help me open it up to get a better look.

Edit: Just found a disassembly manual. Will keep back to you when I'm done.

Thanks,

Mediokrates

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Ok,

So I removed the upper casing to get a better look inside. I couldn't see anything jamming it. I then manually fed paper through both feeds, top and back... all the way through, using the paper feed gears. Then reversed it, front to top, and front to back, just to see if anything else would come out. Nothing.

I don't think anything is jammed in there.

So, I removed a couple connections and put them back in. No change.

I did notice this, now and before. The top paper feed tray was locked in the down position, so that the main (on top) feed roller was an inch away. Its been like that since it jammed (if not before), with the green light on the printer icon in front, lit on the top (which I assume has something to do with the paper).

By rolling the gear on the side of the logic assembly, I was able to release the feed tray into the unlocked position, where it now depresses under pressure and springs back into contact with the main feed roller when released.

When I start up the printer the following actions occur in order:
1. The paper feed motor gears in front, and the small white internal paper rollers start up for about 5 seconds.
2. Those same internal rollers then lift
3. The inktank drops and lifts (without moving side to side).
4. The internal rollers drop back into place
5. A small white doohickey to the side of the internal rollers, with clear rubber wipes moves forward and then back
6. A small white hook lifts and drops (situated between the logic assembly and the main top feed roller).
7. The power and warning lights begin the 12 cycle alternate flashing.

These actions occur in the same order whether the main feed tray is unlocked or locked in the down position.

Is there something specific I should be looking for, either occuring or not? If a jam issued, is there somewhere I should be looking?

I hope this helps anyone diagnose the problem.

Thanks again,

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Mediokrates
When you turn on your printer next time watch for the print head movement and then as quickly as you can remove the power lead.
Next thing to do is to move the print head manually to the left side of the printer then check the right hand side for any obstructions.
If none try plugging the printer in again and power it up.
It just might have being the print head stuck in the purge unit that was causing the trouble, or the top lid not closed properly.. :|

Mediokrates

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks Hat,

I first tried it removing the power cable as soon as the print head began to move. I then tried it by removing the actual power lead as soon as the print head moved. I then tried it as soon as the print head stopped moving. I can find no obstructions.

Did I mention that the print head fails to move side to side on start up, like my other printers did? It just moves down then up. I don't know if that means anything.

Also, the upper light on the printer icon in the front turns on only after that white doohickey with the clear wipes has finished moving.

No change however, 12 flashes still.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Mediokrates

What I asked you to do was to remove the power cable the instant that the print head moves up and before it go down again.
Next was to try and move the print head yourself by hand to the left side of your printer.
I think your print head has somehow got stuck on the purge unit by getting hit with some paper from the earlier paper jam and needs a helping hand to get going again.
There could also be some obstruction in the path of the print head to the purge unit, please try it again and get back to us on your trails..

Mediokrates

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks everyone,

Hi Hat.

As the printer carriage and printhead start in the up position, go down and then back up, I was first doing as you suggested when it went into the down position. I then did it, after it had returned to the up position.

I have now manually cranked the carriage & print head into the down position at start up. This makes it go up, down and then back up, during the start up cycle. Accordingly, I have pulled the power supply upon the carriage reaching the first up position. Unfortunately, moving the carriage to the left has not revealed any obstructions, under any circumstances.

I hope this has followed your instructions.

Powering up the printer resulted in no changes.

I removed the cartridges and then the print head, and noticed some ink on the print head. I cleaned it up and placed back. The first few times I powered up the printer, it failed to take any action, other than the power light blinking continuously once a second, with the paper feed light coming on 3 seconds later. After a few power cycles, it returned to startup and flashing 6A00.

Have I mentioned that the external casing is off to allow me better access?

I can feel no unusal resistance when moving the carriage back and forth.
Though I must admit, I don't know what the purge unit looks like, in order to check that.

Re. Soldado Jo:

Maybe you have something. I'm usually very good about powering down equipment before I do ANYTHING with them. It was a while ago, so I can't say with certaintly that I did power it down. It is certainly possible that I did not. In regards to that, when I press the paper feed button on the front, there is no response at all from the auto sheet feeder. Should there be, while the error message is being displayed. I have asked for further clarification from canon, but here is their initial response:

This error is considered a service error and would need to be repaired by a technician. As the printer is out of warranty, I would suggested moving the carriage (piece holding the cartridges) back and forth a few times and see if there is anything blocking it. You may also want to search online as there are likely many things you could try to resolve this problem on your own.

Shaking the printer upside down resulted in nothing noticable coming out.

One change on startup however; don't know whether good or bad. The white doohickey on the right, with wipers (is this the purge?) which has what looks like 2 graphite like tablets just infront and below has changed behavior. Whereas it originally moved forward and back at the end of startup, changed positions randomly throughout my attempts to replicate Hat's instructions. Sometimes stopping over the graphite, sometimes behind. Now it is in the pulled back position, behind the graphite, and is not now moving at all. I believe the graphite like tabs moved up and down, but are now in the up position.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Mediokrates

Lets try something else then, you say the cover is off the printer right.
Can you cover any or all of the micro switches that maybe on the cover and the lid.
Now there might be (and I am not sure of this) an extra little hole near the micro switch hole for the lid
that will need covering with some duck tape or something opaque (only if it is there).
When you have done all that, then power up the printer again and see if there are any error codes.
That 6a00 code is I think a reference to kind of an open lid problem. (Trip switch related)

Mediokrates

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hat,

I'm not really sure what you mean by micro switches... but I've searched the entire lower casing (since I only removed the upper casing) and found only 3 items which could be considered switches.
2 are best described as depressable buttons, and the 3rd looks like an actual switch, naturally in the up position.
All 3 are near the front top, to either side of the inner cover behind the output tray. The 2 buttons lock the output tray into place when closed.
On the right hand top side is the switch. It is actually connected to 2 yellow wires that then run into then out of the circuit board behind the the functionality buttons in the front.

I believe this switch might be depressed when the top cover is on and closed. I cannot find a small hole anywhere. I have powered on the printer with just this switch taped down, and with the output tray lock-buttons taped in the up position. Still flashing 6a00.

In addition, I have replaced the top outer casing, and powered on, to no new effect.

I hope this is what you meant.

As I said in the last post, I noticed that the wiper doohickey and graphite tabs seemed stuck. These would sit below the print head, in its far right position. If I roll the gear towards the back of the printer, these 2 components will sometimes move. If I roll it towards the front, it affects no movement of either.

However, sometimes now, when I initiate start up the gears will run freely, moving those 2 components. If that occurs, the print-head will now move left to right. If the gear appears to stick it will not.
Either way, if the print-head moves left to right, that gear still appears to then get stuck, making it so those 2 components never finish in the same position. It appears as if the gear is trying to move but is unable to, either before or after the print-head can move left-right.
It is after this, that the error message flashes.

Thanks,