Tutorial to clean clogged print heads.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
These printers are notorious for this issue. When these printers first came out years ago, we could refill them like the Canon PGI-9 and PGI-72. The OEMs have a spring bladder loaded internally.The ink transfer to the printhead is a contact method. The ink surface tension maintains an inkbridge. The OEM outlet pad design has a special or specific type nylon surface that in conjunction with the printhead intake maintains this ink connection. And it works. The aftermarket cartridges a sponge based contact link can work but at times, once the sponge gets infiltrated with air or offers too much resistance to flow, will tear the ink link to the printhead and air is ingested into the printhead causing as some have described....what appears to be clogs.

In my experience for whatever reason...I don't know, the best way to get the air bubble out is to use an OEM cartridge again. The chips on the aftermarket will generally fit an OEM cartridge. So try transferring the chip and then refill the OEM cartridge by inverting it and dripping ink onto the pad and the ink will be swallowed by the cartridge. How bad is the design. I had to return TWO brand new ones to Epson to get them working. Two new printers with OEM carts could not produce a proper nozzle check before the ink ran out due to cleanings.

At this point, if the cause of the air in the head was due to cartridge flow, the only way to remedy this is to flush out the sponge in the aftermarket and then dry and refill. The same issue that causes Canon carts to misbehave with streaking is causing the Epson printer to do the same. The Epson OEM cart has some downsides over the PGI-9 because Epson has designed in a special valve to release the bladder and fill it with air when the cartridge is empty. Nice Engineering actually but not good for refilling. The thread on this about 3-4 years old when these T273 first appeared.

There is another issue with these printers that Epson designed in that is just plain deceitful when it comes to ink cartridge replacements and ink that is purged when a cart change occurs. Let's say it is a relatively large proportion of the total. Some situations will have a consumer get less than 50% of the ink onto the paper because of the design. Definitely not a good printer to seek out and purchase and one to avoid unless you already have one.

rsuryase

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Can you recommend a printer that has these features.
1. Can install an external waste tank
2. Aftermarket refillable inks and cartridges
3. Can print on DVD/CD.
4. Resettable waste ink counter.

I recently purchased a Canon MX922.

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
Can you recommend a printer that has these features.
1. Can install an external waste tank
2. Aftermarket refillable inks and cartridges
3. Can print on DVD/CD.
4. Resettable waste ink counter.

I recently purchased a Canon MX922.

A used Epson Artisan 800. It can also be successfully fitted with a CISS, and a duplexer!

rsuryase

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Does the Epson Artisan 800 has the same problem as Epson XP-820 of easily clogged nozzles?

I had an Artisan 50, it was good while it lasted, don't remember what caused its demise.

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
Does the Epson Artisan 800 has the same problem as Epson XP-820 of easily clogged nozzles?

I had an Artisan 50, it was good while it lasted, don't remember what caused its demise.

Actually, missing nozzle check lines with Epson printers are more likely caused by air binding in the print head rather than clogging...my Artisan 800 would at times show a few, or many, missing nozzle check lines, but letting it rest overnight seems to take care of it...the only real issue with Epson printers is they waste an eye-popping amount of ink during cleaning cycles.

So, "easily clogged" happens to ANY small fluid orifice, manufacturer independent.

YMMV.