trouble learning to fill canon cli-221 and pgi-220 cartridges

mrelmo

Print Addict
Reaction score
the main problem you will encounter with the scotch tape, is all of a sudden you willl have an empty cartridge and 1 or more of your cartridges will have ink in them from the empty cartridge, known as cross contamination, on the older cli cartridges that wasn't as much of a problem as it is for the 220 series cartridges. the cli cartridges with the clear cartridges you could see the contamination and flushing them is easier because you can see when the sponge is clean, on the 220 series you can see when you have clean water running out during flushing, but it is just better being able to see the sponge. just my opinion

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
ThrillaMozilla said:
And users please note: The word is SILICONE, not silicon. Silicon is what computer chips are made from, and it's a hard, black, brittle material. Silicone rubber is a VERY different material. It would make me very happy if you distinguish between the two :) .
It was a typo. Chillax dude.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
cspeter8 said:
What exactly is the problem with using scotch tape to seal the top hole? It was stated earlier that it is a disaster waiting to happen
In a nutshell it's a very low energy bond that can easily allow air in and once air starts getting in, ink starts leaving (which is always messy).

About the only tape that will handle this sort of seal properly is aluminium tape which is usually used for boiler installations or similar... It has a very strong adhesive and the tape medium is non-porous so air doesn't get in. It's also sufficiently strong that ink can't get out the hole (if the cartridge is upside down) provided you apply the tape to a clean, dry surface around the hole.

That help?

Martin

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
cspeter8 said:
What exactly is the problem with using scotch tape to seal the top hole?
It doesn't seal well. The adhesive is also alcohol-soluble, and fumes from the ink will likely loosen the adhesive. Just take people's word for it, that it is a bad idea.

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
stratman said:
It was a typo. Chillax dude.
I'm glad you know the difference. But it's such a common error that I doubt that many other people know the difference. Now they do, maybe.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Just to let you know Thrilla, I correctly spelt silicone on a different thread in the past few hours. :woot

What you may not like is the web site I linked to may have incorrectly spelled, or used, the wrong word... depending upon how exacting one cares to be. :hide

(web site purposefully left a mystery to avoid the wrath of KAAAAAHN!!!! :somad...., um, I mean the gentleman ThrillaMozilla. :D)

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I believe you.

I may not have noticed the web site typo if you hadn't pointed it out. My last post was having a little fun with the Star Trek thing. I happen to like both Kirk and Khan.

Next time you get to choose which Star Trek character you want to be. I'll even play a Red Shirt if you'd like. :)

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
Terribly sorry, you lost me on Star Trek, although I certainly should have gotten it. I'm quite out of it when it comes to popular culture. On the other hand, the frequent confusion between "silicon" and "silicone" in various forums stands out as clearly to me as if everyone habitually misspelled "ink" or "Canon". It's just the way I'm wired. :)