The Win 10 upgrade, Experiences Please..

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
I'm having a heck of a time with Win7 that was upgraded then reverted back and now the same SSD is to be used on a new motherboard with Win 7. Win 10 looks like it places an OEM type partition on the drive that cannot be easily removed. That partition stores the validation and that then allows a clean reinstall after an upgrade with the same media used for the upgrade. Always try to download the file onto USB or DVD to allow an easy clean reinstall afterwards if necessary. This monkeying around with partitions I think will cause headaches with older apps which know nothing about these.

I will need to bring out a sweep disk to cleanse the whole drive.....SSD wear!

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
IMO you don't need this reserved partition at all.
Do as with all previous Windows: boot with the ISO disk, erase all partitions from C: and format it again.

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
Now that I have most of the frilly bits turned off, WIN10 closely resembles WIN7, but seems a bit faster.

See post #7 for additional comments re partitions.

Last edited:

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
Hit my first problem, there is no WIN10 printer driver for my old Canon ip1900. The one that prints out all the junk notes. They tell me to upgrade my printer.:lol: The system blocks using any other driver.

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Hit my first problem, there is no WIN10 printer driver for my old Canon ip1900. The one that prints out all the junk notes. They tell me to upgrade my printer.:lol: The system blocks using any other driver.

I didn't try it myself, but for some Canon printers Microsoft suggests installing the driver (made for a previous OS) in WIN10 in compatibility mode

>
To install the drivers in compatibility mode, refer to this suggestion:

a. Right click on setup file.
b. Click on Properties.
c. Click on Compatibility tab.
d. Put a check mark on Run this program in compatibility mode for.
e. Select the supported operating system.
f. Put a check mark on Run this program as an administrator under PrivilegeLevel.

<

Last edited:

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Canon also suggests something similar if no W10 driver is available. But they don't promise that the driver will work or they say that the driver may only work in a limited way.

When I searched for a W10 driver for an MP540 I got this:

This product is not supported with the operating system selected and no drivers will be made available. Please consider upgrading either your product or operating system to a model or version that is supported. If you wish to upgrade your product, you may be interested in checking our cashback page for current promotions and offers on new products. Alternatively, please select a different operating system to view the support available for this product.
If you are looking for a Windows 10 driver for a PIXMA printer, it may well be the case that the product can still function in a limited way on this new operating system using a Canon driver provided for either Windows 7, 8 or 8.1.
As Canon has not tested this functionality, we make no guarantees that this will work or that full functionality will be available, but you may wish to try this option.

I installed the Win 8.1 driver in compatibility mode and the printer works normally, no limitations in function. As can be seen, the method even works with older printers:

Printers W10.jpg

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
I tried the suggested route and ended up with this, looks promising:-

http://www.canon.co.uk/support/consumer_products/products/printers/inkjet/pixma_ip_series/pixma_ip1900.aspx?type=download&language=&os=WINDOWS 10 (64-bit)

But the download does not occur, I'm using Firefox by the way, should work, but nothing happens.

The link works but you can only download 4 (usual) software programs for Win10, Canon has no drivers for Win10, latest is WIN8.1.
http://www.canon.co.uk/support/cons...1900.aspx?type=drivers&language=EN&os=Windows 8.1 (64-bit)
Try this one in compatibility mode.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
My Printer is a program, not the driver. The link provided by palombian in post #18 finds the driver if you insert "Win 8.1 (64 bit)" in the OS drop-down menu. It is 10.2 MB. I don't know if I can and am allowed to upload a file this big to the forum? The name of the driver file is ip1900svst220ea24.exe.