Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Sorry for shooting the messenger guys But its was scanned S/S at 600dpi. :caf

gigigogu

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
The Hat said:
Can you tell the differences.
Maybe is an artifact fron scanner or compression, maybe I am seeing things, but to me it seems the letters with universal black have more jagged edges from ink wicked into paper fibers.

sathyakala

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
gigigogu said:
The Hat said:
Can you tell the differences.
Maybe is an artifact fron scanner or compression, maybe I am seeing things, but to me it seems the letters with universal black have more jagged edges from ink wicked into paper fibers.
Again this is just my opinion and may be my eyes are not sharp enough to see the edges. For me, it looks like the contrast (black ink on white paper) in universal print looks lot better.

geocha

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
TheHat if you have a digital camera you can set it to macro mode and just take a shot ;) It will look a lot better than the scanner! tip: Use the b/w cameras mode and external light, not the flash.
And try to upload to imageshack or photobucket in full resolution. I don't think that this site accepts full resolution images ;)

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
geocha said:
TheHat if you have a digital camera you can set it to macro mode and just take a shot ;) It will look a lot better than the scanner! tip: Use the b/w cameras mode and external light, not the flash.
And try to upload to imageshack or photobucket in full resolution. I don't think that this site accepts full resolution images ;)
Sorry geocha but a digital camera just wont cut it for quality compared to a scanner
and I never use the services of imageshack or photobucket just Nifty for my upload,
maybe you could ask Rob to increase the file upload sizes..:bow

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I think cropping the scanned image would reduce file size, so less or no compression is done, to shrink file size to the 85 kB maximum when uploading the images to the forum.

I think Druckerchannel.de does just that to minimize server load. They have taken it to an extreme, using only a single letter "a", but that is sufficient to show print quality. Example here: http://www.druckerchannel.de/artikel.php?ID=2805&seite=10&t=die_textdruckqualitaet In this test KMP ink compares favourably to Canon OEM ink, maybe even slightly better?

I've uploaded a scan of just one letter using a HP Scanjet 4070 scanner, settings greyscale and 600 dpi. The letter"a" is Times New Roman, 14 point and the document was written using Microsoft Word 2007. The printer is Canon Pixma iP5200 and the ink is a compatible cartridge without chip price around 2 from a Danish supplier. Brand is St@rink or digitalst@r, I've used these cartridges for years without problems, but only used them once.

6881_a600.jpg

I think Druckerchannel.de uses a better scanner than mine, as you can see the paper structure faintly in their images but not in mine. At least my image shows edges of the letter are not perfect, so you can start comparing inks. I wonder how many uploaded nozzle checks are smoothed out due to compression? Then the response from a helpful forum member could be something like: I see nothing wrong with the nozzle check, so please what is the problem? Maybe one should add a cropped image showing only the error(s) when uploading a nozzle check?