Testing black ink PGI-520

geocha

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I have tested the KMPs PGI-5 pigment black with ip4600 and the results are very good! The black is black like the OCPs but there is a little ink diffusion on the paper.

OCP black on plain

KMP pigment on plain

KMP pigment on coated paper

I'll also upload a swab page of the three inks when i'll have time.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now some off topic shots. Please mind that the pictures below have nothing to do with the PIGMENT BLACK ink test. I just published them because the IS dye photo ink is far more black than the IS pigment
Photoblack on coated paper (used printfab)

And here the different size of the dots between pigment black channel and the photo channel

lin

Print Addict
Reaction score
geocha, in your first post you mentioned that one is OCP bulk ink (black) and the other is IS pigment black. Was the OCP bulk ink in the first post also pigment ink?

And for post #11, the last 2 pictures, I didn't understand what you mean by "pigment black channel and the photo channel".

geocha

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
lin said:
geocha, in your first post you mentioned that one is OCP bulk ink (black) and the other is IS pigment black. Was the OCP bulk ink in the first post also pigment ink?
Yes, it's pigment
And for post #11, the last 2 pictures, I didn't understand what you mean by "pigment black channel and the photo channel".
The printhead has 5 channels (colors) photo channel = photo black( the small one)

sathyakala

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
lin - Typically the printer will use pigment black for text on paper and photo black for pictures etc when they have two blacks.

lin

Print Addict
Reaction score
geocha, what is the initial purpose of your test? According to your title, it says "Testing black ink PGI-520". PGI-520 is the bigger cart that uses pigment ink. Why are you bring in the photo black (the smaller cart) which uses dye ink into the picture(in term of the topic of discussion). I thought your test was about the black ink for PGI-520.

The PGI-520 channel and the photo black channel has different dpi and pl. During printing it will print at different dpi and uses different pl and makes different number of passes depending on the setting you have selected. As such, it's to generalized to say and show "different size of the dots between pigment black channel and the photo channel". As how does "different size of the dots between pigment black channel and the photo channel" relates to your purposes of your black ink test for PGI-520. Afterall, the PGI-520 channel and photo black channel will produce different print the quality.

geocha

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
lin said:
geocha, what is the initial purpose of your test? According to your title, it says "Testing black ink PGI-520". PGI-520 is the bigger cart that uses pigment ink. Why are you bring in the photo black (the smaller cart) which uses dye ink into the picture(in term of the topic of discussion). I thought your test was about the black ink for PGI-520.

The PGI-520 channel and the photo black channel has different dpi and pl. During printing it will print at different dpi and uses different pl and makes different number of passes depending on the setting you have selected. As such, it's to generalized to say and show "different size of the dots between pigment black channel and the photo channel". As how does "different size of the dots between pigment black channel and the photo channel" relates to your purposes of your black ink test for PGI-520. Afterall, the PGI-520 channel and photo black channel will produce different print the quality.
Yes lin, you're right! The photoblack text and dots are OT. I inserted it just because i took a couple of pictures... I'll delete it because it confusing indeed....:(

As for the pigment, it's obvious that the KMP and the OCP black are far superior to the IS and the PGI-5 seems OK with the PGI-520 cartridge...Maybe KMP uses the same ink (520 and pgi5)

geocha

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
can anyone post a print sample from KMP 220 and U black to compare them?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
geocha said:
Here is the sample of the KMP 220 and Universal inks..
This one is the 220 black

5128_220.png

And this one is the Universal black,

5128_universal.png

I did the sample with three different fonts, Calibri, Times and Comic all 12 point.
Can you tell the differences.
To be honest I can't..:idunno

geocha

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Indeed.I can't tell the difference because of the resolution. Maybe a 600dpi scan can help... Thanks for the images

panos

Print Addict
Reaction score
The Hat said:
geocha said:
Here is the sample of the KMP 220 and Universal inks..
This one is the 220 black
You need to disable your scanning software's interpolation filter and scan at a higher resolution using the same sizes.