Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.

lin

Print Addict
Reaction score
Hi Smile, pls do not get refurbished printhead from China. The protective liquid that these refurbished printhead from china is a clear liquid and not the same as the brand new one from canon directly which is a thicker bluish protective liquid. You will have 90% chances of getting one that is streaky from these refurbished printhead. And if you are picky about printing photo, you will not be satisfied with the streaky print. And they may not be easily unclog. It's difficult to tell the streaky print is due to clog or defective nozzles. Image a new printhead that comes out of a box being streaky. Less can be said of the quality of such printhead.

In China, it's not uncommon that the buyer commented about the streaky nozzles despite the seller sold it as a brand new. But because of the lower price, people tend to give good feedback and to avoid retaliation from these chinese seller with nasty return comment. And sometime people buy, they may not have used it immediately so they may not have know the streaky nozzles so they just simply give an advance good feedback. Or because sometime some people they only print documents and are not that picky with streaky print. The streaky print are much more visible when print photo because smaller nozzles that dispense the smaller dpi would be used. Sometime it could be also some region they are harder to buy printhead from canon. Or user aren't aware they could buy printhead from Canon themselves. So that explain why some people buy online. And of course they go for cheaper printhead because a brand new one from Canon is so expensive. So if possible don't buy refurbished printhead because it's not worth it. Unless you want to buy a cheaper one just to diagnose your printer issue.

As the chinese sellers sell the printheads that are vacuum sealed claiming to be brand new, if you are a chinese in china, you will it difficult to tell if the printhead that you buy is a refurbished or brand new one until you used it. Almost if not all, these chinese refurbished one came as streaky if you do your nozzles check print.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
Canon used to use clear print head preservation liquid too, OCP sells some that is a bit yellow too.

I wonder if they come trough all the trouble to vacuum seal them, and sell then claiming "new" but list as refurbs, are all buyers idiots then?
If you buy something listed not as described you can get your money back, but instead everyone is happy. Hmm...

is there other canon printhead source in EU except tasktron?

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Smile wrote:

There is a handful of companies in Germany selling Canon print heads and other spare parts. A Google search on "canon druckkpfe preisvergleich" finds this price comparison site: http://www.idealo.de/preisvergleich/MainSearchProductCategory.html?q=qy6+0075

There are more sellers of Canon print heads in the EU, just enter the parts number for the print head you are looking for in Google.

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
Smile said:
In the US, The Canon Parts Order Desk at 866-481-2569 sells them at lower prices than I have seen on eBay for New-in-box parts. I couldn't find a similar link for Europe, but you can contact them at "canonparts@cusa.canon.com" to see if they have a phone number for Europe.

lin

Print Addict
Reaction score
Smile said:
Canon used to use clear print head preservation liquid too, OCP sells some that is a bit yellow too.

I wonder if they come trough all the trouble to vacuum seal them, and sell then claiming "new" but list as refurbs, are all buyers idiots then?
If you buy something listed not as described you can get your money back, but instead everyone is happy. Hmm...

I had never received printhead that is from Canon Direct or printhead inside brand new sealed printer where I dragged home from retail store that has clear protective liquid. They all came as slightly thicker bluish liquid. And no sign of any ink stain anywhere on the printhead.

The fact that refurbished printhead came vacuum sealed with a canon box, it's hard for common folks like us to differentiate a completely brand new from a refurbished one. Until you used it or opened up to see visible slight color ink stain on the rubber grommets or somewhere on the printhead. The ink pickup port filter itself will not have any ink stain at all because they would have been clear off by the so called clear preservation liquid.

The refurbished printed is vacuum sealed how do you argue that it's not new after all it's not opened and the package all looks so identical to canon brand new printhead. Bear in mind not all who buy will used the printhead right immediately the moment they received so looking at the seal bag from canon some would give advance feedback. I am not too sure if ebay allow one to revert their feedback after they have given initial good feedback after sometime had passed. So would you spend time arguing with the sellers that it's not brand new (but rather refurbished) after you opened and use it for sometime had lapsed?

Similarly some people just simply print documents and who may not have immediately notice the streak at all, they probably aren't that picky at all if they just print documents. Afterall these refurbished printhead is 15 or 20 dollars or half the price of a brand new printhead where they could usually get from. What do you do if you aren't satisfy with the printhead claim being new and yet is refurbished. Send them back to china for refund. It's not cost effective to ship back and forth. Majority of us would have "forget it" since shipping back to china for a refund or replacement is not cheap and you may not be 100% sure they will replace with another printhead or refund you after you had sent them back.

For the chinese, given that they had several hundreds of good feedback, they care very little of any bad or neutral feedback at all.

I recalled there was once I chances about a comment by a chinese to those chinese ebay community that he saw a chinese seller scammed all the oversea buyer and he showed the link of that ebay seller. What that ebay seller did was first by building plenty of good feedback by selling very cheaply (some cheap stuff). Because the products are private listing, so it's also hard to tell those good feedback refer to which product since you can't view what item after some months. So after several months gone, after accumulating hundreds and hundreds of good feedback, that seller start to sells some very expensive stuff and then not shipping to the buyer. By the time a month or 2 months, even though many buyers later left feedback they did not received the goods, it's too late, the money had long been gone and there is no way of getting refund back because the seller run away.

I mean, If you really want you could try to buy a printhead from that ebay seller you mentioned, and see for yourself, if you find the so called brand new printhead is acceptable to you since after all it cost slightly lesser. Then in the future, you will could consider given you had experience with it if you ever want to buy another of such refurbished printhead. If I only print documents and not picky, I probably would closed one eye and bare with it. But I don't think the printhead will last long because being streaky, that means certain nozzles are not dispensing ink when heated, burned out of some nozzles are a matter of times.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
I am also faced on the opposite side. I am a seller on Ebay. You get literally jerks who click to buy. Then change their mind or don't pay. Or click purchase several times for the same item valued at close to one hundred dollars. Trouble is each time they click purchase or buy I pay commission to Ebay even if they don't pay. What can you do when they are invited to cancel and don't even respond.

I am faced with a buyer who clicked to purchase an item worth $90 , and did this 5 times, A first time buyer. They don't purchase or pay even once and I invited and sent emails to request cancellations. No response. I am out close to $50 due to this dreadful "j_rk".

Some buyers are also clearly dreadful.

lin

Print Addict
Reaction score
Hi I never sells anything off ebay. I am more of a buyer and user so not too sure about the seller side.

But is there a way to tell the Ebay that the buyer did not pay and have Ebay revert the commission back to you?

I recalled when I buy stuff at Ebay some listing require immediate payment after the Buy Now. Isn't there option for you where you could set immediate payment and if not, the transaction is consider void or null something of those sort?

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Several months ago, I bought 5 refurbished print heads for my IP4000 and MP780 printers from a Chinese vendor over eBay. When I got the print heads, ink was still in the print heads as if they made no attempt to remove it. I should have washed them with tap water, rinsed them with distilled water and let them dry for two days before testing them but I went ahead and tested them first. All of them had perfect pigment black nozzle checks and all except one had electrical defects on the dye ink nozzles. In fact another one of them was perfect with the first nozzle check and then went bad after that. I really believe that all these print heads were perfect when shipped but the ink in them contaminated the electronics and caused defects when I put them in the printer. Very sad.

Anyway, I reported the problem to the vendor, packed up the four defective print heads and shipped them back. Within a very short time, the vendor refunded my money and did not request the print heads to be shipped back. I gave them a positive rating. Last week, the four print heads came back to me as undeliverable. I cannot even find the transaction on eBay since it has been so long. So now I have some more print heads to play with. I have so many printers of unknown state, I use them to find out if the printer will damage a print head or I can use them in a printer that I use only for plain paper black printing.

lin

Print Addict
Reaction score
ghwellsjr said:
Several months ago, I bought 5 refurbished print heads for my IP4000 and MP780 printers from a Chinese vendor over eBay. When I got the print heads, ink was still in the print heads as if they made no attempt to remove it. I should have washed them with tap water, rinsed them with distilled water and let them dry for two days before testing them but I went ahead and tested them first. All of them had perfect pigment black nozzle checks and all except one had electrical defects on the dye ink nozzles. In fact another one of them was perfect with the first nozzle check and then went bad after that. I really believe that all these print heads were perfect when shipped but the ink in them contaminated the electronics and caused defects when I put them in the printer. Very sad.

Anyway, I reported the problem to the vendor, packed up the four defective print heads and shipped them back. Within a very short time, the vendor refunded my money and did not request the print heads to be shipped back. I gave them a positive rating. Last week, the four print heads came back to me as undeliverable. I cannot even find the transaction on eBay since it has been so long. So now I have some more print heads to play with. I have so many printers of unknown state, I use them to find out if the printer will damage a print head or I can use them in a printer that I use only for plain paper black printing.
The 5 printheads you mentioned is used printhead and not refurbished. The fact that you have ink stained underneath and on top of the filter is that these are used printhead either from buyer who returned those printhead or they unclog printhead themselve and perform a test print and resell them.

The refurbished one is vacuum sealed in canon metalic bag and comes with Canon box. The chinese like to sell them as brand new because they are vacuum sealed. But they are not Really Brand New. It's refurbished.

I am not too sure if refurbished one are repaired (whether if Canon outsource to some company to replace the nozzles and gasket plate leading to the back with with a new one. Even the exit port filter looks clean and not dented and very much look like the filter had been replaced) Or whether these refurbished printhead is classified as B rate in production (that is to say there is slight defect though not totally defective that could not be issued when Canon sells printer with printhead in them (Canon have certain quality control to hold) . This may explain why these refurbished are streaky out of the box.

You see in China even DVD (those writable one) they can be classified A rated, B rated, C rated in production. And those B or C rated could be rebranded and sold cheaply. In china, any product with very minor fault or poor physical appearance, the company could be rejected them for export. Then these become 2nd rated product sold in China because they are very cheap. But you see anything 2nd rated sold cheaply in china has it's way of being sold worldwide because there is bound to be people looking for cheap stuff.