refilling using squeeze bottles - w/pics and video(new)

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
ghwellsjr said:
So now I'm wondering if there is more than one standard on these luer lock mechanisms.
Not that I'm aware. A Lok is a Lok. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luer_Taper)

Are the luer locks different on different size needles?
The same Luer Lok needle can be secured to the majority of syringe sizes (cc's) commonly used. There may be different sized Luer Loks, ie those that will only fit on a specific sized syringe, but I have not used any since they were introduced. In essence, the Luer Lok needles and syringes a refiller would use are standardized and interchangeable.

*Edited for clarity.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Just to add to Stratman's post...

There are only two types of Luer...

Luer Lock/Lok and Luer Slip

The lock has a means for the needle to twist into the holder and over the luer male part so it's held firmly in place...

The slip has no lock mechanism and as a result any female part attached (like a needle) can pull or pop off the male luer part of the syringe.

What you may have found is that the male luer and female luer fittings on syringe and needle are firmly mated and only require the needle to twist half way down before sealed and mated properly. They don't need to twist all the way down into the lock funnel.

Hope that helps.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Thanks for the info, stratman and websnail.

I took a real close look at my two kinds of needles, one from Computer Friends and one from Howard Electronics and my Inktec bottle/syringe. I have concluded that there is no locking going on.

The end of the Inktec bottle/syringe looks just like the syringe in the wikipedia link Stratman provided with threads clearly visible and the Computer Friends needle looks just like the needle in the same link (except it's blunt). However, looking at the threads from the end, you cannot even tell that there are threads because they are very, very thin. It appears that they help guide the cap off the Inktec bottle/syringe because if you "unscrew" it in a counter-clockwise direction, it will come off and if you "screw" it in a clockwise direction, it will go on, but you can also just pull the cap off or push it on and override the very thin "threads". The cap does not even have threads, it just has four ridges on it parallel to the direction of the nozzle but they seem to provide all that is needed to make it appear that there is a screwing action.

So when I "screwed" the Computer Friends needle onto the Inktec bottle/syringe, I was pressing and twisting giving me the feeling that it was screwing in. The tightness of the needle on the end of the syringe was what gave it the "locking" feeling. I could have twisted it in the opposite direction and created the same illusion. When it comes time to remove the needle, I could also twist it in either direction to get it off. It is very difficult to get it off by simply pulling on it but this is explained by how the Luer-Slip feature works.

Neither the Computer Friends needle nor the Howard Electronics needle is able to go on the Inktec bottle/syringe far enough to engage the very thin threads anyway so the whole effort has been an exercise in futility.

The bottom line: The Inktec bottle/syringe is Luer-Slip not Luer-Lok.

avolanche

Print Addict
Reaction score
Most are slip-lock and have no threads.The threaded version is much more secure,has obvious threads *on the SYRINGE*,and costs more.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
All the medical syringe/needle combinations I've used have the screw thread/lock attachments. Makes sense as you would not like one slipping off mid-injection! For different injections one would use different lengths and guages as well, so interchangeability is very important. I don't know for what purpose the non-locking units were developed, but they do effect a secure press fit, and a little twist while mating them up acts to make a more secure fit.

avolanche

Print Addict
Reaction score
I have 2 different Terumo brand needles in my hand as I type this.One needle has a small flange that would screw(lock) into a syringe with an internally threaded barrel(luer).It also will slide onto a non-threaded plastic syringe for a fairly tight fit.So it's dual use.

The other needle,an 18ga 1 1/2",has no way to thread onto any syringe.It's strictly slip fit.Both came from Henry Schein Medical Division.I also have this needle in a finer gauge that is slip fit only(22ga).I have also seen EMTs use slip-fit needles/syringes.

The 2 1/2" needles I got for re-filling are true Luer-Lok.

Another needle,commonly used with dental syringes,has a *metal* threaded end.The threads are internal and are not Luer-Lok style.It looks like a small thimble with threads inside.It's used with anesthetic carpules and with a sterilizable syringe.

Yet another is a needle my veterinarian uses.It's slip fit.I used it to aspirate fluid from cysts.

Just goes to show that there are many ways to attach needles.......the main 3 being threaded,slip-friction fit,and permanently fused disposable.Any will work fine for refills as long as they are the proper length/gauge.

15kywalker

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
If I get the 100 ml SquEasyFill bottles from Octoinkjet, what would be the best way to store the bottles when not in use? Also, does anyone have a good idea of what container to use to hold it in?

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
15kywalker said:
If I get the 100 ml SquEasyFill bottles from Octoinkjet, what would be the best way to store the bottles when not in use? Also, does anyone have a good idea of what container to use to hold it in?
Storage should be upright in a cool, dark place.. as for what to store them in... A cardboard box would be fine... the key is the bit about it being out of sunlight and away from heat sources... That way the ink has more chance of lasting it's intended lifetime of over 2 years.

Hope that helps...

jimbo123

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
MP830 MP980
i use an old plastic coffee container - see my pics in post #1 on this thread

using squeeze bottles are so much easier than cleaning needles and syringes

glad to see this thread is still alive

J

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Printers: Canon MP830, IP4500, MX700
Method: German Durchstich Method
Ink: Hobbicolors
Misc: Squeeze bottles, needles, scabbards from Howard Electronics

binkie

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I would appreciate your posting the Howard Electronics email address and items numbers where you purchase squeeze bottles/scabbards. I can't seem to find the items on their web site.

Thanks,

Binkie