Recommend CISS system for Epson Artisan 50, anyonw?

ddedicate

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hello InkJet guru,
I'm currently own the Canon iP4500 with Rihac CISS unit. And I'm about to replace with my new printer, Epson Artisan 50. I'm most likely will pick out the CISS system for it, any recommendation is greatly appreciate. Thanks...
ddedicate:)

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Honestly, I'd go with Rihac again... but if you want to go with somewhat cheaper the Epson printers do allow quite a bit more wiggle room when it comes to sensitivity to the cartridge/printhead interface (the key problem with Canon CIS's and printers).

That said, be aware of the age old problem of Epson changing the firmware on their printers at regular intervals so that 3rd party ARC chips are no longer compatible until the next version come out. Rihac will replace chips if you hit this problem with their CIS units but many of the cheap and cheerful eBay types couldn't care less and will ignore you.

So, you takes your chances and take your pick.

ddedicate

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thank You Inkjet Master (websnail)
Unfortunately that the Rihac doesn't have my Epson Artisan 50 CISS system. Since I'm currently own one of Rihac model already - I would like to try out other manufacture to compare how the quality like. Has you or anyone used ones already? And can I order it in United States, if possible? I'm willing to pay the price as long as it's worth it. Thanks again

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
ddedicate said:
Thank You Inkjet Master (websnail)
LOL... I feel like OB1 now :)..

Unfortunately that the Rihac doesn't have my Epson Artisan 50 CISS system.
*nudge* *nudge* ;)

Since I'm currently own one of Rihac model already - I would like to try out other manufacture to compare how the quality like. Has you or anyone used ones already? And can I order it in United States, if possible? I'm willing to pay the price as long as it's worth it. Thanks again
Unfortunately I don't really know of any that stand out although if you want to try something completely different there's always InkRepublic although I really only recommend those if you're looking at Pigment ink (for which they are ideal).

Doubtless someone else will have some suggestions though...

ddedicate

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hello (websnail) InkJet Master,
Thanks again. Anyhow, can you educate me a bit about the "pigment inks"? Does the Epson Artisan 50 only use this kind of ink? Does other ink can "clogging" the print head?

Hi (The Hat) InkJet Master,
Thank You for the info. I have just look up "Leonardjohn", but I don't think he has Artisan 50 CISS just yet?

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
ddedicate said:
Hello (websnail) InkJet Master,
Thanks again. Anyhow, can you educate me a bit about the "pigment inks"? Does the Epson Artisan 50 only use this kind of ink? Does other ink can "clogging" the print head?
Ok... first off you got it back to front... The Artisan 50 uses dyebase inks ("Claria" is a dyebase type) so using Pigment in one would not be advised.

You can use dyebase ink in a pigment printer but if you try to use pigment ink in a dyebase printer then you will need to use the printer every day and clean the printheads a LOT!. Not advised... If you want a pigment printer, my advise is to buy one intended to work that way.

qwertydude

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
I previously got a CISS with ARC chips and it didn't work with my Artisan 50, so I switched to one with a button reset and am really happy with it. Plus it was really cheap, the store on ebay is "aaadeal ink store". The CISS is only $34.99 with free shipping, ironically refill ink is $20 for a full set so the CISS is practically disposable. Print quality is excellent with the color coming out pretty close to oem, you only need to fiddle a little with the color adjustment to get close. I use profile prism to generate a custom profile and on Kirkland paper I actually get better dynamic range and color space coverage than oem. But then again paper is just as important as ink when it comes to photos and print life is comparable to oem when I did an informal sun fade test.

I only had one issue with clogging which was my fault I didn't print for two weeks and one of the nozzles clogged, not a whole color, literally just one nozzle on the print test only one line was missing. It was really annoying and I wasted 3 cleaning cycles trying to unclog it, I finally came up with a better solution of using an old CISS cartridge filled with windex connected to a syringe filled with windex so I can force windex through the printhead. Do this over the gray overspray area in the middle of the printer, don't do it while it is parked or you'll get air bubbles in the print head of the other colors. Now I don't even run cleaning cycles, I could but I don't want to trip the waste ink counter on my printer any more than I have to.