Pro-100 retrofit ink kit from Precision Colors....Dramatic delivered.

Harvey

Print Addict
Reaction score
I have a new inkset for the MX860. It leaves the old inkset in the dust. PC226 inkset. They are more fade resistant as well.

Let me say this. Using the auto print functions with the new inks PC226 soon to be available, you will achieve better results than using odd inks and using Datacolor Spyder profiling hardware and software and using ICCs created from that.

In 2015 I will roll out new inksets that supersede the old ones. The new inksets for Epson pigment printers will be nothing similar to what IS offered prior. They are a matched hybrid inkset combining the best of what different mfrs have. Not a single one. Each is selected for color tracking, linearity and end print results and reliability. Reliability is an issue. (They are all made in the USA.....reason is that mfrs. in North America tend to maintain a better standard for quality that what comes from abroad.) Without profiles. Each mfr appears to have certain strengths in an inkset and also certain weaknesses. If you can harness the best of what each can offer you end up with a really good combination that a single supplier cannot offer. I think I have done that.

What makes your new MX860 more fade reistant?

A proper blend of ink will mimick the Canon OEM colors, so use of profile is not a must. Something it is good not to be tied to ICC, this way you use your multifunction printer copy function, and you get the colors right.

A long time ago I read some tests someone did, this person found out that some ink manufacturers had a particular weak color. This was confirmed manufacturers have poor fade resistance in some colors, OCP was ..., IS..., Inktec, and so on.
Now that you are making a smart move by choosing the I guess more fade resistant dyes of each manufacturer, you could end up getting a better product. This is something I wanted to make a time ago, but I don´t remember that post, and with time I forgot that matter, By focusing only on one provider gave you weakness. I hope you get rid of the problems I had with your CLI-221 set wich really frustrated me.

Maybe you are making the move of hybrid ink matching because of the rise in IS inks, I had seen that coming, you would look for other ink providers.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
New dye from a different supplier...not IS. Throughout 2014, the search for alternatives was a must to survive. Essentially all desktop ink mfrs no longer are interested in the desktop mkt with specific inks. What is already there was available but as long as it "did" the trick. ....good enough. See my other post somewhere else. The desktop volume is too small and remanufacturing is shrinking because the overall desktop market is shrinking. Consolidation is taking place. If you invest a lot of time and effort to make a specific ink match,,,,,you need to capture a large volume to pay for the labwork etc...for ink mfrs..that point is now reached. They point to what they have already and feel it will do the trick.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
The Upgrade kits are now available at 50% off the bulk ink prices. This offer is good till the end of February 2015.
I will encourage everyone who has acquired a kit to take advantage of this offer asap. Please spread the word around as it will take me some time to gather individual emails. This is going to be a lot of work.

http://www.precisioncolors.com/PC42R_Upgrade.html

3 bottles of 2oz inks for $6.75 plus shipping.
3 bottles of 4oz inks for $10.50 plus shipping.

I want everyone to upgrade.

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
This makes me almost wish I had gotten the Pro 100 instead of the Pro 10. :)

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
I don't know, Roy. It cost me a lot of hard-earned money. $50 plus $20 shipping.

But of course that included 50 sheets of 13x19" paper and a set of ink, so the sting wasn't so bad. :D Come to think of it, maybe I should just buy another one when it runs out of ink and paper. :)

Actually, I haven't tried the printer yet. But sorry, I digress from Mikling's fine thread. Congratulations again, Mike.

Paul Verizzo

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon ip4500, 9000 MK II, PRO-
Mike, what makes you feel comfortable with "better fade resistance?" Especially since that typically takes some time to determine?

This is pretty exciting, glad I didn't buy some of the old stock!

If you have substantial reason to believe that non-OEM inks fade faster due to atmosphere, vs. UV, the answer is simple: a coat of clear lacquer front and back.

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880
Mike, what makes you feel comfortable with "better fade resistance?" Especially since that typically takes some time to determine?

This is pretty exciting, glad I didn't buy some of the old stock!

If you have substantial reason to believe that non-OEM inks fade faster due to atmosphere, vs. UV, the answer is simple: a coat of clear lacquer front and back.

Fade resistance colour fastness whatever you want to call it is my main concern.

Followed by batch to batch consistency.

You only have to read the comments form Mark McCormack who has done a lot of research on fading to realise the complexity of compiling reliable data on this subject. Especially as it involves modelling to accelerate the fading process.

All our anecdotal reports are adding to our knowledge base, but also increasing the amount of misinformation we have to deal with. Truly a two edged sword.

RS

Paul Verizzo

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon ip4500, 9000 MK II, PRO-
Mike, several days ago I asked why you are comfortable with saying that your new brew will have greater longetivity.

Unless I missed it, I don't think you addressed that.

Thanks, Paul

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
The magenta dyes are from the same family as the EV6 for the Epson. If you don't believe me, that is your decision.

You have no clue the task I am undertaking right now, I don't have much time to spend on these boards right now. What took me approx 13 months to create must be started back up in weeks. All the IS Canon magentas are affected.

I am the only supplier who has brought this up to them and forced them to dig deep even when the first tries bore nothing. I know I will be labelled as supplying bad ink but I went to bat and forced the discovery of something. Apparently I am the only dealer who has raised any issue.