Pro-100 retrofit ink kit from Precision Colors....Dramatic delivered.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
I have created a retrofit kit that substantially improves the printing accuracy of the current Pro-100 inkset that I offer. This retrofit involves the substitution of two magentas and an accompanying PhotoBlack.

Ink kit orders placed in the first week of January of have held back for shipping as I will now place these new colors in the current kit.

General comments about the improved colors. Near dead on match for OEM ink. For the vast majority of users even those fussy ones, ICC profiles are not required. Casual B&W prints are neutral enough to use the B&W mode.

I will offer the retrofit kits in about a week or two as the normal stock rolls in and will post here when I am ready.

I recently printed out sample prints using Kirkland Professional Glossy using Other Glossy Paper setting and using NO PROFILES whatsoever....just the simple print and auto settings! Lost my jaw when I let the print dry! It fell on the floor.

Then I used Red River Ultra Pro Satin 3 using Photo Paper Plus Semi Gloss and had to pick up my jaw again.

Despite that, while I am waiting for more of this ink to arrive, I will be creating ICC profiles for this new inkset, not that many will end up using them...really.

Highly Highly recommended as I will be offering this simple retrofit at a very attractive price as I feel it is simply so good that I see no point in continuing to offer the original PC42M and PC42PM. Since the original black was a complement to the inkset, changing the magentas required a change in the PhotoBlack as well. Who would have thought????? You see inksets have to have complementary colors. It is not as easy as just substituting colors willy nilly as I see one user, attempting to do with some other Pro-100 inks.
2015-01-13 09-55-30_0098.jpg

Above is example. One is profiled one is not. Do we really need a profile? It will be there in any case.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Slight decrease in reds and increase in yellows. The B&W does look good.

Great job mikling!

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880
Hi Mike,

Living in anticipation, I can hardly wait for the details.

Now glad I delayed my December order to January so I could eliminate the dreadful December excesses (7D mark 11) on my bruised credit card.

RS

Robert Lemlin

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, Canon i9100
I have created a retrofit kit that substantially improves the printing accuracy of the current Pro-100 inkset that I offer. This retrofit involves the substitution of two magentas and an accompanying PhotoBlack.

Ink kit orders placed in the first week of January of have held back for shipping as I will now place these new colors in the current kit.

General comments about the improved colors. Near dead on match for OEM ink. For the vast majority of users even those fussy ones, ICC profiles are not required. Casual B&W prints are neutral enough to use the B&W mode.

I will offer the retrofit kits in about a week or two as the normal stock rolls in and will post here when I am ready.

I recently printed out sample prints using Kirkland Professional Glossy using Other Glossy Paper setting and using NO PROFILES whatsoever....just the simple print and auto settings! Lost my jaw when I let the print dry! It fell on the floor.

Then I used Red River Ultra Pro Satin 3 using Photo Paper Plus Semi Gloss and had to pick up my jaw again.

Despite that, while I am waiting for more of this ink to arrive, I will be creating ICC profiles for this new inkset, not that many will end up using them...really.

Highly Highly recommended as I will be offering this simple retrofit at a very attractive price as I feel it is simply so good that I see no point in continuing to offer the original PC42M and PC42PM. Since the original black was a complement to the inkset, changing the magentas required a change in the PhotoBlack as well. Who would have thought????? You see inksets have to have complementary colors. It is not as easy as just substituting colors willy nilly as I see one user, attempting to do with some other Pro-100 inks.View attachment 2307

Above is example. One is profiled one is not. Do we really need a profile? It will be there in any case.

I just received a new 4 oz kit from you for my pro-100.

Does it have the new inks?

If not can I send them back unopened to get the new inks?

gscotten

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, Canon MX922
Mike,

Just as a sanity check, which photos are the ones using your new profiles? And when you say "unprofiled" do you mean set to Auto in the print driver?

I just received your new inkset and am excited to get started with them. Your inks have been great on my MX860!

Thanks,
George

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Mike,

Just as a sanity check, which photos are the ones using your new profiles? And when you say "unprofiled" do you mean set to Auto in the print driver?

I just received your new inkset and am excited to get started with them. Your inks have been great on my MX860!

Thanks,
George

Just proves the point. They are so close, most will not see the differences. There is a difference that profiling can extract...look for the extended extreme vibrant green below the B&W test. This could be paper related as well and might happen even on the OEM inkset. The key thing is that you can achieve great results and not know a thing about ICC profiles etc.

I have a new inkset for the MX860. It leaves the old inkset in the dust. Tracking of that inkset is very similar to the new one for the Pro-100. You could know nothing about ICC profiles and achieve very good results. PC226 inkset. They are more fade resistant as well.

Let me say this. Using the auto print functions with the new inks PC226 soon to be available, you will achieve better results than using odd inks and using Datacolor Spyder profiling hardware and software and using ICCs created from that.

In 2015 I will roll out new inksets that supersede the old ones. The new inksets for Epson pigment printers will be nothing similar to what IS offered prior. They are a matched hybrid inkset combining the best of what different mfrs have. Not a single one. Each is selected for color tracking, linearity and end print results and reliability. Reliability is an issue. (They are all made in the USA.....reason is that mfrs. in North America tend to maintain a better standard for quality that what comes from abroad.) Without profiles. Each mfr appears to have certain strengths in an inkset and also certain weaknesses. If you can harness the best of what each can offer you end up with a really good combination that a single supplier cannot offer. I think I have done that.

Last edited:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Let me say this. Using the auto print functions with the new inks PC226 soon to be available, you will achieve better results than using odd inks and using Datacolor Spyder profiling hardware and software and using ICCs created from that.
What do you mean by "odd inks"?

gscotten

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, Canon MX922
Just proves the point. They are so close, most will not see the differences. There is a difference that profiling can extract...look for the extended extreme vibrant green below the B&W test. This could be paper related as well and might happen even on the OEM inkset. The key thing is that you can achieve great results and not know a thing about ICC profiles etc.

I have a new inkset for the MX860. It leaves the old inkset in the dust. Tracking of that inkset is very similar to the new one for the Pro-100. You could know nothing about ICC profiles and achieve very good results. PC226 inkset. They are more fade resistant as well.

Mike,

I can clearly see the differences. I was just curious which was which. Please tell us.

And did you use RC or Perceptual rendering on the profiled version?

I am happy enough with the old MX860 inkset that I will use it up before getting the new. I only use that printer for non-critical work anyway.

I look forward to using these new inks on my Pro-100! Looks like a good upgrade.

Thanks,
George