testprint 1.jpeg
    199 KB · Views: 320

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The test print on the plain paper in post #5 shows the printer is in good working order in my opinion. So I think the reason the problem persists even with using photo paper setting is that the paper will only absorb a limited amount of ink and so is not suitable for inkjet printing. Much more ink is used in printing the dark areas than in the lighter areas.

Maybe the paper can be treated to increase its ability to absorb ink by applying a gelatin coating? This thread about DIY photo paper and this post with my results might be of interest. I read somewhere on the web that artists doing watercolour painting often treated the paper with gelatin or used special treated water colour paper.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Looking at the test print everything looks to be alright so that would leave the Application your printing the photo from as the culprit, I could not see it been the print itself.

In your print setting Maintenance/Custom setting make sure you don’t have detach paper width selected, another trick is to carefully position your paper and do the printout then repeat the same thing again and print over the same image !

MissM

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon ix6550
The gelatin idea is interesting.
I print through photoshop, i feel as though i've tried all possible settings and profiles, also played around with the 'total ink levels' in ps- can't see a 'detach paper width' option - I will try the overprinting idea.
Thanks.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
another trick is to carefully position your paper and do the printout then repeat the same thing again and print over the same image !

I guess that when using this technique, the paper should be allowed to dry between prints?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
OK I tried the photo you sent me on two different printers one used all dye ink the other pigment/dye inks on cartridge paper that I use and I got good satisfactory results, but what was interesting was I also printed the print you posted in your first thread #1 and compared them both.

What I can see is that you are getting bleaching on that type of paper you are trying to use, the ink is been absorbed into the paper far too much causing it to look out of focus flat and not sharp, when I put both prints side by side they are as different as chalk and cheese.

The only thing I can suggest is to go back to where you bought that paper and see if you can get an alternative because without seeing and touching the paper you have I would say its not proper cartridge paper but heavy bond paper substitute, and bond paper is almost useless for ink printers.

Just looking at your website at the rest of your artwork I can see where you're coming from, they are all really nice pieces and you need to present them properly on good quality papers, could you take along a loupe with you to check the surface of the paper before you buy.
I guess that when using this technique, the paper should be allowed to dry between prints?
No in fact use it straight away otherwise the paper will stretch too much, but on the paper you are using it wont be worth while..:(

MissM

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon ix6550
Thanks for testing for me! I thought it would come down to the paper in the end, as it produces really great prints on photo paper.

The cartridge paper I use is from Seawhite of Brighton, its great stuff as far as I can tell -

Our widely acclaimed All-Media Cartridge Paper in 220gsm -- a fantastic value paper. Heavy enough for the most demanding tasks.

Specification:

• 220gsm All-Media acid-free, chlorine-free, cartridge paper.
  • A1 & A2 sizes - 50 & 100-sheet packs.
  • Sized for extra wet strength.
  • Versatile matt white surface.
  • FSC certified.

I will now go on a hunt for different paper, and do some tests. Many thanks for your help.

MissM

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon ix6550
I'm glad your managed to narrow it down for me because I was so close to going out and buying an Epson R3000

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
I'm glad your managed to narrow it down for me because I was so close to going out and buying an Epson R3000
It’s a good job you didn’t; you would have gotten the same results with that printer too, Ouch.
No reflection on the Epson.

I tried covering bond paper with clear gloss optimiser and then let it dry but it didn’t perform any better with that coating on it either !