Printhead Maintenance

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Is there a program that can reset the waste ink counter on the Canon Pro printers? Is it a difficult process to get to the tubing that goes to the waste ink pads?
The problem trying to reset the waste ink counter yourself is that Canon have blocked the program that will do it for you, its called Service Mode and its built into your printers software, but only on the older Pro printers can it still be accessed, unfortunately.

See this thread on how to gain access to the service mode on your machine, it may work but dare I say it will be unlikely on your newer model.
http://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/service-tools-for-canon-printers.10985/#post-92104
Not for the newer ones, all you can do is give it a whirl though with the service tool...
Running the Service Tool won’t help you, because if you can’t get into Service Mode first, than you’ll just get an error and waste your time.. :(

Slagathor

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro 10, MG5320
Ya, there has to be a way though, I am gonna put my some guys on it, if there is a way they will find it....;)

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Ya, there has to be a way though, I am gonna put my some guys on it, if there is a way they will find it....;)

Nope there isn’t, they got this one tight as a ducks ass.. :smack
You may own the printer but they own the software that drives it..
The only answer left is “industrial espionage” :duc

mikem65d

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, ip6600D, i900D
This is a good topic and wish i had found this site years ago as my little i900D would still be spittin out documents.
Left the head in place while leaving this printer in limbo for a year here and a year there.
Finally bit the dust a few days ago. Would not turn on again until i removed the head to examine it.
I believe Canon printheads are pretty robust, and take a lot of abuse having taken about 11 years of neglectful care thx to me not understanding how to maintain the head. It's a wonder it lasted this long.
Will have to find a new head for the 900, and it will be worth it as it goes to parties for the kids who want to take a print or 2 home to show others the fun they had.

With all the reading here and knowledge shared in so many topics, one can't help but become obsessed (well at least me now) with the inter workings of printers.
Have learned a lot from hangin round here and talkin to all the veterans.

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
The Canon Pro printers don’t need any intervention on the part of the owners, they are very resilient at what they do, and so are best left alone to get on with it.

The Pro pigment printers that I have just work each time I turn them on and I never have to do any external maintenance to them, even when left for week on end without printing a single sheet.

The only help I give mine is to agitate the cartridges before installing them, other than that they work perfectly, and are happy to be left unused for 4 to 6 weeks, but I do flood the purge pads every 3 months to keep the pump in pristine condition.

Contrary to belief the Canon Pro pigment printers seldom if ever suffer from any sort of clog nozzles even after long periods of idleness but to make double sure I always start mine with Ink Quality Maintenance rather than the standard Nozzle Check first.

I use a Printer Potty on all my Pro printers and wouldn’t be without them, there’re great at monitoring ink usage, but there’re only worth while fitting if you can reset your own waste ink counter first, which fortunately I can.

If you install maintenance cartridges filled with cleaning solution, then don’t be tempted to print whilst there installed, not even a nozzle check, you can run head cleans nothing else, they are more suitable for Epson printers..
It is believed that the print head fires during cleaning, so why not nozzle checks??

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
It is believed that the print head fires during cleaning, so why not nozzle checks??

Not sure of that, but I supposed the composition of "pharmacist solution" was near to ink, and that printing with it was possible.
Recently ruined a head, not sure this is the reason of coarse.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
With all the reading here and knowledge shared in so many topics, one can't help but become obsessed (well at least me now) with the inter workings of printers.
Resistance is futile once hooked, the attraction and magic of been able to print all day is so irresistibly enjoyable that nothing else seems to matter.:p
I'm curious to know what Canon would charge to reset the waste ink counter having it modified with a printer potty?
Canon have always charged for the diaper change in your printer, but increasingly sites like this have made more owners aware that they could do it themselves and save the cost and inconvenience of having their printer out of commission for weeks on end. ;)
That maybe so but there must be some difference in head temperatures while carrying out maintenance, I printed a nozzle check in ignorance and lost the print head, that soon change my mind because I was under the impression that nozzle checks use so little ink that it would be perfectly safe to do so, now I wouldn’t recommend it.
Not sure of that, but I supposed the composition of "pharmacist solution" was near to ink, and that printing with it was possible.
Recently ruined a head, not sure this is the reason of coarse.
It may have the same consistency as dye ink but as both you and I found out its not good enough to use for one nozzle print, I still use pharmacists solution and would recommend its use, but never to print with..