Precision Color Ink rubbing off! Need help urgently! :|

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Ebay store is being revamped, too much old listings. lots of changes coming soon one piece at a time, new stuff to replace older stuff as well. New Epson stuff, for the higher end printers, new dye inks, new pigment inks. By the new year I will possibly introduce a new 9500 inkset to replace the older one to mitigate some sensitivities of the legacy inkset. I am working on it.

Checkout to Signapore via using Australia as destination via website.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Your nozzle print says it all, you have no matte black visible in the nozzle check so that will cause all of your colour to be off, and it doesn’t matter what you do with your cartridges and ink not even OEM ink will cure your colour shift.

If you have been using your printer for any length of time with no ink passing through the black nozzles then your print head would have sustained fatal damage so you'll have to get yourself a new print head to correct the problem, sorry..

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
He might be OK>
Do a printhead soak with the liquid covering the inlet and then flush the channels through with water then reinstall and have full carts.
Cross fingers

Grey

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
@The Hat oh goodness :\ I think it could be because I have been printing mostly glossy for some time now. Curious thing was I just printed 2 monochromes on water colour paper and they look fine...

@mikling thanks for the advice! Does it mean I uninstall all the carts and the print head. soak the whole print head in water/flush fluid? I happen to have some of the PiezoFlush fluid with me. Might try it out later tonight

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
He might be OK>
Do a printhead soak with the liquid covering the inlet and then flush the channels through with water then reinstall and have full carts.
Cross fingers
@mikling I love your optimism but still 10 marks for not giving in..:celebrate
@The Hat oh goodness :\ I think it could be because I have been printing mostly glossy for some time now. Curious thing was I just printed 2 monochromes on water colour paper and they look fine...
Wow hang on a minute there, that doesn’t make sense at all. !

Your MBK is missing, it’s not printing black but your PBK is working fine.

Now if you’re using glossy paper to print on then these prints should be ok (No problems) but if you’re using matte paper then you’d be using little or no black ink at all and your prints should look way off, so which is it ?

Are you getting a little bit mixed up or confused ?
@mikling thanks for the advice! Does it mean I uninstall all the carts and the print head. soak the whole print head in water/flush fluid? I happen to have some of the PiezoFlush fluid with me. Might try it out later tonight
If you intend soaking your print head (A good idea) then a word of caution please remember to completely let it dry before inserting back into your printer to avoid damage !

On the off chance that your print head can be saved at this late stage I would advise you to resist printing anything other than nozzle checks till you can resolve your situation..

Grey

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
@The Hat
I have been printing on glossy paper, the colors are off.
I used the Canon SG201 semi-gloss paper with stock profile and it was yellowish green. When I profiled it with Datacolor Spyder print it was better but the Blue/Magenta seems out of gamut. They're overly saturated with no tonality. I'm using a Dell UH2713H monitor calibrated with a i1Pro Display

I think I contaminated my ink tank as mentioned at the start. I didn't think it was the MBK that was the problem. Not sure why the MBK didn't print out in the nozzle check actually...

I haven't printed anything in colour in matte paper lately, but I did a couple of A3 prints on matte watercolour paper in monochrome and they came out quite ok. I think it is still the problem with contaminated inks rather than the MBK being clogged. Shall try to print the nozzle check again... is there some special settings I should take note when printing the nozzle checks?

I only recently found out that I could disable color settings in the printer driver recently, after watching Jtoolman's video. I shall try to recalibrate again tonight and see how it goes. I have been printing quite sometime before this with the setting on, the colors were never "Right" but they were close enough that I didn't fussy with it. Its only recently that I get wonky colors.

Cheers!

Grey

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
She lives again! Thanks all for your help! Shall test proper images soon!
1408901437965.jpg

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Now try these.

Give up on the Datacolor SpyderPrint. Datacolor technology is very good for calibrating monitors as at the price point it actually is founded on good technology...for the monitor. However, translating that same technology into print is another matter....better than nothing or scanner based packages....but the Datacolor spectro is not up to demanding tasks for printer profiles.

http://www.precisioncolors.com/c10aicc.html

Grey

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
:weee:weee:weee:weee:weee

You are a saviour! For the 2 years I've had this printer, I have never had a print as close to the screen as this! May I ask what profiler are you using or would recommend? I have some exotic papers I'd love to be able to calibrate myself!

Excited about this printer again! I guess I wouldn't have to shell out for a R3000 Epson (mixed feelings about that but my pocket sure feels better!)
:bow

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Profiles are created using Argyll CMS and an XRite i1Pro2 Spectrophotometer. All my provided profiles for my inks are done with same now. For anyone wanting screen to print matching, just use the inks, listed paper and profiles and get a simple SypderExpress calibrator for little over $100 and color management is done for you. Nada extra to do. There is no need to go out and get a package such as a Colormunki. It is highly doubtful, you'll achieve as accurate a profile using that hardware and colormunki software and you'd have to spend around $500+ to boot.

Last edited: