possible cleaning fluid alternative?

AlteredCarbon

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
fotofreek said:
I've found the dye based inks to wash out pretty quickly by placing the orange caps under the hot water tap. Any stain that remains has been inconsequential in my view. no need to complicate things that are simple.
Sorry, guess I was a bit unclear. Ant's post about removing the stains from the silicone seals made me hopeful that perhaps I could remove the dye stains from some other silicone items, other than catridge parts themselves. Specifically a silicone mat that I managed to drip ink onto, thereby invoking the ire of it's user... :hide

Tudor

Print Addict
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson L800, 1400; ML-2165W
Have you tried isopropyl alcohol?

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
If it was dye-based ink I would try the old standby - bleach. It shouldn't harm silicone products.

AlteredCarbon

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Tudor said:
Have you tried isopropyl alcohol?
Yes, that's what I tried after soap and water; it got some, but there was still a noticeable stain left. :(

fotofreek said:
If it was dye-based ink I would try the old standby - bleach. It shouldn't harm silicone products.
It won't hurt it, eh? Well, I will have to get some and give it a try; we've only got colorsafe bleach in the house right now. Thanks. :)

Protip: make sure silicone baking mats are nowhere near the sink you are washing at. :he

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
How about a trip through the dishwasher? I think Silicone can handle that.

Tudor

Print Addict
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson L800, 1400; ML-2165W
AlteredCarbon, what inks are you using? Inktec, for example, stains the sponge in the cartridge, while IS doesn't.
Does the mat stain the baking product? If it doesn't... there is a saying: "If you can't beat them, join them." Get your dye inks and paint something on the mat< then wash it and you get a personalized baking mat. :)

RMM

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
I know that I'm kind of late to this party, but Windex w/ Ammonia has been the best cleaner I've used so far, especially when warm! It works much better for me than plain water, isopropyl alcohol, or anything else that I've tried.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
RMM said:
I know that I'm kind of late to this party, but Windex w/ Ammonia has been the best cleaner I've used so far, especially when warm! It works much better for me than plain water, isopropyl alcohol, or anything else that I've tried.
That is my experience with clearing printhead clogs or preparing a printhead for storage (after a fresh water rinse, of course.) It also works well to clean ink from the various parts of the printer that eventually have a bit of ink on them. I'm not sure, however, that it will work to get rid of ink stains on a silicone kitchen item that the OP had asked about. Taking ink stains out of a white sink or off of a finger is most successful, for me, with bleach.

AlteredCarbon

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
mikling said:
How about a trip through the dishwasher? I think Silicone can handle that.
Yeah, she normally runs it through the DW to clean it, didn't seem to noticeably fade it any, though.