Pixma Pro-100 / clogged yellow

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
PeterBJ = Brave man!:)
Or maybe foolhardy or not so brave? I haven't bought an ultrasonic cleaner yet.

I saved my iP4300 that has only printed 1900 pages and has a D-value = 008.0 by buying a new printhead from a German company C1. Total cost incl shipping for a QY6-0061 printhead was 78€ = 56£ = 85 $. The print head looked totally new and the packing also looked genuine and the extended nozzle check is A1 OK, so I'm convinced the print head is genuine unused Canon.

Maybe I should order one more print head for my iP5200? That is also gambling, but I am convinced the print head from the iP5200 is clogged but electrically OK, so the logic board is also still OK.

Last edited:

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Maybe I should order one more print head for my iP5200? That is also gambling, but I am convinced the print head from the iP5200 is clogged but electrically OK, so the logic board is also still OK.
Do it quick... They've been discontinued along with the ones used in the iP4500 too.

peter D

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro-100
@jtoolman :"The "Sub Micron" reference is to the pore size of the membrane used on of these filters. Syringe filters are meant to be single use. You load up a solution that needs to be filtered and you shoot it into a sterile flask, tube, or bottle. You do this inside a bio safety hood under a laminar flow HEPA filtered system".
I found this on Wiki:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syringe_filter
With the experience he has in this field I'd sure like him to recommend a filter size (0.22 um seems common enough) that we should try. Would 0.1um for dye based inks be practical or an overkill?

Even if the ink had started to be degraded by the microorganisms present in it surely it would be better to ensure that they didn't reach the cartridges and then the print head?
I take it degraded ink would show up as defect in the colour of the prints or in some other way.
That said it would then follow that flushing of the cartridges and syringes to remove any residual ink would perhaps be wise before implementing the use of the filtered ink just in case there was a colony already growing in them due to being refilled with ink that was contaminated.
Also what type of flushing liquid for sterilisation of cartridges, bottles and syringes is recommended.