PGI-225 CLI-226 - replace or refill?

flatom

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I've refilled Canon BCI-3 cartridges for over 10 years. I recently bought a Canon Pixma MX882 with its new cartridges, PGI-225P CLI-226 containing chips that I've never had to deal with before. These cartridges are new enough that chip resetters are not available yet. Now I'm faced with a dilemma and any advice would be appreciated.

I have 3 cartridges of each color, some empty, some full or in use. I use a lot more pigmented black than color. Should I
continue buying Canon OEM cartridges and saving the empties for the day when chip resetters are available?
buy aftermarket carts until I start refilling the Canon carts? Recommended source?
start refilling the carts I have without resetting the chips?

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Either #1 or #3. If you go with #2 then you will need to transfer chips, most likely, and if you are going to refill these after market cartridges, then you should stick with original OEM Canon cartridges.

Refilling or using after market cartridges (which would require you to secure a chip to them to work) will not bring back ink level monitoring. You will need to buy new OEM Canon cartridges, or wait for a proper chip resetter and will need to manual inspect the cartridges' ink levels to determine when to refill.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
stratman
With 226s cartridges there is no way to manually or visually inspect these cartridges because there opaque.
So flatom is left with just option #2 and that is to refill aftermarket cartridges.

However theres is option #4 to buy a complete set of 220s (not opaque) and transfer the chips from his empty
226s and use them instead, but with no ink monitoring till a resetter comes along..

nche11

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
I thought 226s are smaller than 220s. I know that small head can wear big HAT but not the other way around. The best option is to refill OEM. Being opaque does not make them impossible to refill.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I had forgotten about the compatible 220's I've read about here. If that works then it is the best way to go, even though you have to swap chips.

Otherwise, top hole refilling of the 226's can be done.

flatom

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I thought I had read that the 225/226 ink was a new formulation. Does anyone know that 220/221 ink is the same? "Does it matter?", I ask myself. Myself doesn't know but tends to think it would matter. I like this option if the carts are the same size and would fit.

I hate to refill OEM carts without ink level monitoring since the cart is opaque and I can't see when it's about empty. Don't want to run it dry. That damages the printhead, does it not?

I'm also tempted to refill aftermarket carts. I'm not hyper-fussy about quality since I print mostly documents. I just don't want to shorten the life of the printhead.

stratman, you recommend top filling? I haven't tried the German method but have been tempted.

Thanks, y'all, for your responses.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
flatom

Go with the 220s and then youll be able to visually monitor the ink levels yourself.
Refilling will also be much easier as youll see how much ink your actually putting in to the cartridges.
Use the top fill or the German fill whichever one you find the most comfortable.
The 7th Calvary will be along with a resetter sometime in May and these cartridges will work better
once you reset them, much better than the 226s.. :)

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Using an all opaque cartridge, the traditional top hole refill method may be easier, especially when it comes to assessing overall fill amounts. Of course, weighing the cartridge before refilling and then calculating ml's of ink to refill based on the weight of a new OEM Canon cartridge and the weight of refill ink per ml would make either refill method easier and less prone to mistakes.

The 220 cartridges that The Hat suggested allow one to see ink levels in the spongeless side and therefore may be refilled by either method... from what I've read here. Listen to your cousin The Hat as he will steer you right on this subject. Usually. ;)

Aftermarket cartridges are like playing russian roulette with the bullet being leaks. Do you feel lucky? Plus, none of the aftermarket 226's have reset chips from what I saw. Maybe you've seen differently?

As far as your question about differences in performance between 220 and 225 inks - I can't tell you what if any the difference is, though I doubt most of us would object to using 220 formulated ink in printers designed for 225 cartridges. Since CLI-8 dye ink formulations, the popular aftermarket ink sellers used on this forum have shown themselves to be quite capable of producing pleasing results, all differences and individual tastes aside. And if output is critical, then obtaining a printer profile for ink, paper and printer used will optimize your results.

flatom

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
All righty, then. I'll go with the 220's since the implication is that they'll fit. I'll be watching for news of a resetter's availability.

Thanks for your inputs. Much appreciated.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
flatom said:
All righty, then. I'll go with the 220's since the implication is that they'll fit. I'll be watching for news of a resetter's availability.

Thanks for your inputs. Much appreciated.
FYI - make sure the 220 cartridge you purchase has the partial translucency that allows you to see ink levels. There was a report here that someone purchased 220 cartridge and it (or they) were completely opaque. Don't know the validity of this, but it's worth considering. Also, if you are purchasing new OEM 220 cartridges, I would try just one at first to make sure everything works fine before spending more money. If you get some empty 220's for cheap, then not much of a problem.