PGI-225 CLI-226 - replace or refill?

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Like I said before, there were reports of totally opaque cartridges in the 220 model. But there are reports that the 220's were still being found that had the transparency on the spongeless side.

I would have returned the cartridge after opening it up and finding it completely opaque. Since you've already unwrapped the cartridge - taking one for the team, so to speak - swap out the chips and see how it functions. If it does, you may be able to source transparent 220's. Then you can get the appropriate chip resetter and you are good to go. No waiting needed.

Let us know how it goes.

*Just looked on eBay for "Canon 220 empty" and saw numerous auctions. The key is to find a lot small enough, cheap enough, and with the transparent spongeless portion. ASK the seller before bidding, getting a picture if possible. If it's in writing and you use PayPal, your money will be safeguarded.

flatom

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Swapped chips and it functions normally with the 221 installed in place of the 225. I ran a nozzle check which produced a normal print. It works. Still would require a 225/226 resetter to employ that strategy, yah?

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Ummm, I was just testing you?

Opps. Now I'm turned around. The student has now become the teacher!

Yes, you must use the 225 chip on the 220 cartridge, BUT, if you find the transparent 220 cartridges (partially transparent) then you can disable ink level monitoring and easily refill using either traditional top hole or Durchstich side hole refilling method. A lot easier than dealing with totally opaque 225 cartridges if you will refill and don't want to weigh cartridges or guesstimate. The money you save refilling (while manually keeping an eye on ink levels) will nicely offset the additional cost of 220 cartridges compared to using only new OEM 225 cartridges when ink is low/empty.

If money is no option, then just buy new OEM cartridges every time. But why come here and ask questions?

flatom

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I placed an order for 2 more sets of 225/226 carts hours before the suggestion was made to use 220's. This would make 5 sets available to refill for many moons. The company I ordered from is closed until Wednesday morning giving me a small window in which to cancel the order.

Since I always do my shopping online, I'd have no way of knowing whether 220's I was ordering are opaque. Lacking that certainty, I'm inclined to deal with the opaque 225/226's. It seems I could fill to overflowing, then withdraw a bit to leave an air gap. Messy, yes. But, effective? I won't know until I try.

If that proves too aggravating, there's the possibility of aftermarket see-through blanks becoming available. I used them the last 7 or 8 years that I've refilled BCI-3's with no ill effect. I understand the argument in favor of OEM's but I've had no complaints using the aftermarket blanks.

You remain the master, stratman, and your advice is certainly appreciated. Don't be offended if I spread my wings and fly.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Not at all, flatom. Refilling is a unique experience for each person, though many elements are shared.

Refilling is liberty. Do as you see fit.

Most of all... ENJOY!

Good luck and keep us informed.

whitewallpaul

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I posted the message below on another thread-- I forgot this was the main one I was referencing on the subject of Canon CLI-226 cartridge:

Hey hows it going-

I just removed part of the label tape on the Yellow 226 cartridge topside to reveal a clear view into the ink tank. I then shined a flashlight on the bottom side up through the tank and have a transparent view of the ink. It would certainly be enough to identify the profile of the needle entering the tank to refill German method.

I'm stumbling around trying to figure the best method for refilling this printer I just got. I haven't confirmed that this will work for all colors in the printer but it looks to me like you could stick with your originals and skip all the chip swapping or aftermarket nonsense. You just need a light source under the cartridge during the process.

Paul

----

Same as refilling CLI-221 (Pharmacy's post) with German method, just requires that the label tape be removed from above the ink reservoir and a good light source (flashlight in a vise?) under the tank so you can see inside.

I need a 2" syringe....

Paul

As an update:

Black does not pass any light from bottom to top on a brand new cartridge. I'm using a decent led pen light--

Probable become transparent as the ink runs out, but difficult to tell when full during refill procedure...

lowepg

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
flatom said:
Aha! You got me, stratman. I did not. It did fit in the slot OK.

But... given that the 220/221 carts are opaque and a resetter for the new carts may be imminent, I think I'll stay with the 225/226's because, under those conditions, I don't perceive any advantage to switching to 220/221's.
Well, even with a 225/226 resetter, you still have the problem of "seeing what your doing" with those carts.

I dont think there is an advantage to using the new 220/221 carts (that are now opaque), if I understand the issue correctly, the advantage is using the OLD windowed 220/221 carts (with chip transplants).

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Resetter for these new types of cartridges will be available beginning june, according to www.tintenalarm.de
that is the european version PGI-525/CLI-526

ginnieartist

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hello All,

New kid on the block. Refilled my Cannon MP600's carts, top fill, for years before I burned out the print head.
Now have a MG5220, (didn't check here first), and have the same problems refilling these opaque carts as everyone else.

Pharmacist referenced the German firm with the reset chips. I found them, but I don't read German and didn't see an English option. Will they ship to the US, and what is the total cost, (product and shipping) in dollars?
Is there any other company now selling the re-setter?

Thank you all for such an informative forum. Wish I'd checked here before purchasing the MG5220, but when you're in the middle of a print run at 7 pm, due the next morning, and the old printer dies, you do a quick check of reviews and rush out to the store and pick up what you think will be a good printer. It does a great job, but the tiny carts are ridiculous.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Hi ginnieartist

The not yet available resetter for PGI-525/CLI-526 from www.tintenalarm.de is intended for the EU version of the cartridges only. It will not work with the US version of the cartridges. You will have to wait for a PGI-225/CLI-226 resetter to become available. No reason to order a resetter from EU.

The company seems to be mostly interested in doing business within the EU. They give no shipping rates for the US, only state that when shipping outside the EU import tax may be added.

Peter.