Peach ink

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
inkoholic said:
Thanks for all the input :D. I was using the top fill method. A poor seal may have been the cause of the leaking. I used custom carts that came fitted with little plugs on the top side, and an ARC chip. Apparently the plug wasn't fitting snugly.
Only OEM Canon cartridges are recommended by the majority on the forum.

Long story short: if I use the durchstich method on Canon OEM carts, no more dripping from the ejection port? To be sure: no clogging of printheads as well? Unless a regular cleaning cycle is required every month or so, that's no problem.
There is no guarantee of no more leaks or clogs regardless of refill method or ink used. Reread my last post about leaks. Clogs happen for a variety of reasons that boil down to too infrequent use of the printer (all cartridges) and/or poor aftermarket ink. Environmental and other conditions can play a role in speeding up the process.

The general consensus appears to be print at least a nozzle check once a week (or so) to engage all cartridges in printing and keep ink flowing. You may also spot early signs of poor ink flow and resolve the problem before it becomes a bigger issue. In general, using the printer regularly to print text and images will keep the print head happy. Manual cleaning cycles are not needed until specific issues warrant it.

Concerning the Durchstich method, you can try it out on one of your properly functioning top refill aftermarket carts. The two can co-exist. You do not need to seal the Durchstich refill hole, though some do. However, because you have a top hole, I would seal the Durchstich hole before unplugging the top hole. Otherwise you may get a leak from the Durchstich refill hole just as you would from an unsealed ink ejection port.