Newbie questions on refilling an ink tank (PGI-220)

BostonFern

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I posted about my problem with leaking ink earlier, and now I'm about to refill the ink tank again. It seems to me that the simplest method is using wax to seal the refill hole, given that my refill kit doesn't have a needle long enough for the German method and I had already drilled a hole on the top of ink tank.

I need more detailed information about how to proceed. My questions are:

1. The ink tank has been outside of the printer for a few days. Do I need to worry about it's dried out? If yes, what do I do?

2. When I refill, I suppose I need to cover the outlet hole. I threw away the orange outlet seal that came with cartridge when I installed the cartridge for the first time. What else can I use to cover the outlet hole?

3. Is one drop of melted candle wax good enough to seal the refill hole?

4. If I seal the refill hole correctly, does that mean ink would not leak out from the outlet hole when facing down?

rodbam

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 9000 mk2 & Pro 9500
1..I think it might be all right but print a nozzle check before you do any proper printing.
2..I've read here that you can use some good sticking tape to cover the outlet hole, just don't push it against the sponge so you don't put any sticky residue on it. Maybe you should buy some outlet hole caps they're very cheap.
3..I've read here that a hot glue gun works well for resealing, is this what you call wax? You can also buy the silicone plugs which seem to work really well & very cheap too.
4..If you have refilled properly (not overfilled with an overly saturated sponge) then with a correct seal it shouldn't leak. If you get a drop or two drip & then stop then I think that's OK too.

BostonFern

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
rodbam said:
Maybe you should buy some outlet hole caps they're very cheap.
3..I've read here that a hot glue gun works well for resealing, is this what you call wax? You can also buy the silicone plugs which seem to work really well & very cheap too.
Thanks for the answer.

Where can people get outlet hole caps? I looked up in ebay, but didn't see any. On the outlet hole, I just put a round label , the kind that can be peeled out from its backing, and wrap it with rubber band. If they don't work, then I may consider buying these caps.

I don't understand why people use hot glue. Doesn't it permanently seal the hole and prevent the hole from being reused? In this forum there is a mention of wax, which I guess is a drop of melted candle wax. It makes sense, as I can just scrap the wax the next time I want to use the hole. Besides, I have candles, and no hot glue gun.

I have silicon ear plugs that swimmers use. I suppose it's the "silicon plugs" you mentioned. They are not very sticky. I wish there are pictures or videos so that I can see how people use it to seal the hole.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
BostonFernWhere can people get outlet hole caps?
Have a look at this idea by tom Hock and see if that would work for you.
http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=42803#p42803

Regarding the hole in the top of your cartridge, hot candle wax wont work
because it doesnt stay hot enough after it comes in contact with the cartridge top.

The only way to use wax properly is to purchase a glue gun at your nearest diy store or
if you are really stuck and need to print urgently then put some Blue Tac in the hole
(just temporary dont relay it long term) cover it with a bit of tape and that will tie you over
till you can get something more permanent, i.e. like silicone plugs that rodbam mentioned.

Hot wax is a permanent seal but can be easily removed by using the edge
of a sharp tool to lift it off gently and expose the refill hole again.

The ink tank has been outside of the printer for a few days. Do I need to worry about it's dried out? If yes, what do I do?
Leaving a cartridge out of your printer for long periods of time should be avoided at all costs;
try putting the empty cartridge back in the printer till your ready to fill it again is a much better option..:)

ipfken

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
If a cartridge has been emptied and left to one side for a while what are the chances of it not working when refilled?

gigigogu

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I do not have your kind of cartridge, but I think the basics for BCI-6 CLI-8 applies.

1. Probably is ok. I have a set of emptied BCI-6 stored uncapped for 3 years and after refill are working ok. You may drip few drops of ink directly in outlet port, just in case. But have you left the printhead without cartridge?
2. My method when I top filled: find an adhesive tape that wont leave residues after removal; place a piece of tape onto a paper towel, sticky side up; firmly press the outlet port onto tape; refill and seal the hole; OVER A SINK carefully remove the tape. Some ink will come out. Wait till no more ink come out; Ready.
3. No. I advice against candle wax. It shrinks while cooling and it may not seal properly. My advice is to go with silicone plug if you have to refill often. And no, not earplugs. These pugs for refill are special manufactured for this scope. The plug should be a little over sized than the hole. Be sure to check if you have enough clearance from top of cartridges to printer case for the head of plug.
4. Only few drops, after you unseal the outlet port after refilling.

emerald

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
BostonFern: Hot wax or glue from a hot glue gun may be OK for a temporary seal of the refill hole but should NOT be considered for the long term. Refill holes sealed this way must be cleaned out, bored out, scraped off, etc. for subsequent refills or purges. The PGI-220 cartridge is similar to the BCI-6 & CLI-8 cartridges discussed in this post. It has links to other posts that may answer your other questions.

I recommend pan-head silicone rubber plugs with straight sides.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
emerald BostonFern: Hot wax or glue from a hot glue gun may be OK for a temporary seal of the refill hole but should NOT be considered for the long term.
Recommending silicone plugs is just one way to seal a cartridge after refilling.
But dont knock the use of hot wax as an alternate way of sealing up a cartridge.

It is in fact a very good long term method that I would recommend whole heartily
also it not difficult to remove the wax at all later for further refilling..:)