New updates and firmware for Epson Pro 3880

Methodical

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
USA
As I said, it is installled, but I haven't turned on the printer yet.
I can not "test" the last step, it will either affect the cart chips or not..

So this is a question for actual 3880 refilllers who have updated the driver.
@jtoolman ..what do you think about driver updates?

PS: certainly there is no guarantee, what works fine on one system may fail on another.. But after the latest cartridge blocking by HP I become more anxious

Not a 3880 owner, so at this point all I can add is just fire it up and see what happens, especially since you can revert it and one other poster has the same version with no issue. You will know then for sure the affects and can educate other 3880 owners.

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Hi Martin - We may be talking at cross purposes here. I have both a Canon Pro 100 and an Epson 3880.

The canon I refill as described in the above message and reset with the REdSETTER. The REdSETTERR was slow coming to market and I think I could have been the first commercial adopter about 3 years ago. I am pretty sure I purchased it from Octoinkjet because his supplies were available before Precision Colors.

Resetting the OEM carts on my 3880 was a real problem. Aware of JToolman's warnings I purchased from Florida, USA eBay vendors on condition of being able to return it if it didn't work.

The first two didn't work, and the return was expensive across an international border, so had to stop that source. Eventually contacted Mikling of Precision colors for advice. He offered me a resetter for a trial on condition I pay for it if it worked. It works fine and the joke is that it was cheaper than the failed ones I bought on eBay from Florida. Precision Color's customer service is outstanding. Especially in view of the small amounts I buy from him. For the record the resetter is blue colour and is labelled QE 589 Chip Resetter.

rs
Except that is the same resetter!
Joe

Andre Dumas

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Stylus Pro 3800
Give the fact that we are buying manufactured products from unknown manufacturers in plain boxes with little or no documentation, and removable labels, from what is basically an international flee-market of dubious repute, means we cannot be certain of anything.

The acid test is it works or it doesn't.

Even though the one Harry Briels bought has the same visual appearance and reference number as mine on a label that is easily removable does not guarantee they are the same.

Roy

Hi Roy,
I also bought the PrecisionColor QE 589 for my Epson 3800 and it worked fine on all 9 OEM ink carts. The only problem was aligning the prongs of the resetter with the contacts on the chips. It is not easy and requires a very steady hand. The problem is due to the plastic protruding block which makes it impossible to **squarely** press the resetter against the chip.

Andre

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880
Hi Roy,
I also bought the PrecisionColor QE 589 for my Epson 3800 and it worked fine on all 9 OEM ink carts. The only problem was aligning the prongs of the resetter with the contacts on the chips. It is not easy and requires a very steady hand. The problem is due to the plastic protruding block which makes it impossible to **squarely** press the resetter against the chip.

Andre

Agree 100%.

Takes me a couple of attempts to get a solid green light to indicate a reset. Always have this fear it will not reset until I see the green.

Works fine on the waste tank as well. There is a procedure that has to be followed for the waste reset - if you are not familiar watch Jose Rodriguez's youtube video on the subject and all will be revealed.

rs