New updates and firmware for Epson Pro 3880

martin0reg

Printer Master
Reaction score
After learning your lessons for modifying the valve I reset also OEM. I would not update firmware - but what about the printer driver? Which version do you have for 3880 : 6.60 or 6.63? It shows up in the printer menu..

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880
As I said, it is installled, but I haven't turned on the printer yet.
I can not "test" the last step, it will either affect the cart chips or not..

So this is a question for actual 3880 refilllers who have updated the driver.
@jtoolman ..what do you think about driver updates?

PS: certainly there is no guarantee, what works fine on one system may fail on another.. But after the latest cartridge blocking by HP I become more anxious

My current driver is v6.63 and I do not perceive any adverse effects.

Not sure if it is the driver that came on the CD or if I downloaded an updated driver over the past 18 months.

Can say for sure the driver I downloaded from the Epson supplied CD had the ABW feature as an integral part. The ABW feature is very powerful. As well as my Canon Pro 100 prints B&W , the Epson ABW is now my first goto choice for B&W prints because of the ABW feature. YMMV.

My humble opinion is that danger from rogue drivers is far less than firmware updates. So far as I know you can usually roll back the driver to a previous driver version and most times they do not add irreversible code to the driver functions. I am open to correction on this point!

rs

martin0reg

Printer Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the info... and yes, it seems I can install version 6.60 after 6.63 back again.
I need 6.63 for the "epson print layout" utility.
If you like ABW, take a look at the link to "EPL" in post #6

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
My current driver is v6.63 and I do not perceive any adverse effects.
My humble opinion is that danger from rogue drivers is far less than firmware updates. So far as I know you can usually roll back the driver to a previous driver version and most times they do not add irreversible code to the driver functions. I am open to correction on this point!
rs
Canon and HP are definitely using something other than a firmware upgrade to nobble the refilled, so be careful with any new driver installation, and no, the alterations they make can’t be reversed.:duc
Nothing has been proven to date...:hide

martin0reg

Printer Master
Reaction score
be careful with any new driver installation, and no, the alterations they make can’t be reversed.:duc
If you' are right, than it's too late for me anyway.
But it seems (!) I can in fact replace ver 6.63 by the earlier 6.60, by clicking on a setup.exe of the unzipped driver. But then again I have no ABW in EPL... so I will try the 6.63

@Roy Sletcher
Do you use any sort of resetting e.g. refill carts with secondary auto reset chip or a resetter for refilling OEM carts? Because If you use OEM carts only there would be no risk of disabling the resetters.

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Nothing has been proven to date...:hide

Correct - and that applies either way. We are still in speculation territory, but working under caution.

Do you use any sort of resetting e.g. refill carts with secondary auto reset chip or a resetter for refilling OEM carts? Because If you use OEM carts only there would be no risk of disabling the resetters.

I am using Precision Colors inks refilled into OEM carts with OEM chips using the redsetter for resetting. It is working extremely well for me, being simple and fast with colour very close to OEM straight out of the bottle. I only use my own profiles for colour critical work.

As more and more users refill it gives an incentive to the third party suppliers to continue their efforts and hopefully make it worth while for them to continue their improvements to over ride the OEM manufacturers efforts to stop refilling.

For example Mikling and Websnail frequently post updates on their lines of research and refill innovation

rs

martin0reg

Printer Master
Reaction score
Thank you again for your quick answer - which leads me to another question: which "REDsetter" do you mean? I thought this brand of resetter is only for canon...
I have bought my resetter from Florida (ebay item 181401461962 - thanks to jtoolman for recommendation) because others from aliexpress/china didn't really work at that time. But they had a guide for aligning the chip, which I miss on mine...

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Thank you again for your quick answer - which leads me to another question: which "REDsetter" do you mean? I thought this brand of resetter is only for canon...
I have bought my resetter from Florida (ebay item 181401461962 - thanks to jtoolman for recommendation) because others from aliexpress/china didn't really work at that time. But they had a guide for aligning the chip, which I miss on mine...

Hi Martin - We may be talking at cross purposes here. I have both a Canon Pro 100 and an Epson 3880.

The canon I refill as described in the above message and reset with the REdSETTER. The REdSETTERR was slow coming to market and I think I could have been the first commercial adopter about 3 years ago. I am pretty sure I purchased it from Octoinkjet because his supplies were available before Precision Colors.

Resetting the OEM carts on my 3880 was a real problem. Aware of JToolman's warnings I purchased from Florida, USA eBay vendors on condition of being able to return it if it didn't work.

The first two didn't work, and the return was expensive across an international border, so had to stop that source. Eventually contacted Mikling of Precision colors for advice. He offered me a resetter for a trial on condition I pay for it if it worked. It works fine and the joke is that it was cheaper than the failed ones I bought on eBay from Florida. Precision Color's customer service is outstanding. Especially in view of the small amounts I buy from him. For the record the resetter is blue colour and is labelled QE 589 Chip Resetter.

rs

martin0reg

Printer Master
Reaction score

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Hi Roy, I remember this discussion
http://www.printerknowledge.com/thr...0-blocked-in-software.10115/page-2#post-84325
where we found out that my resetter from Florida, without any label, contained the same logic board like the one from Harry Briels, named QE-589.
But I don't know if the ability to reset is a hardware thing only or if it could be re-programmed with a "newer crack" by the manufacterer..

Give the fact that we are buying manufactured products from unknown manufacturers in plain boxes with little or no documentation, and removable labels, from what is basically an international flee-market of dubious repute, means we cannot be certain of anything.

The acid test is it works or it doesn't.

Even though the one Harry Briels bought has the same visual appearance and reference number as mine on a label that is easily removable does not guarantee they are the same.

Roy