New Pro-100 for $48.00 deal

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
I think: tax deduction, as it can be considered as advertising and promotional costs. Just a guess, as I do know nothing about the US legislation concerning taxation. Canon sells their printers at full wholesale price to the shops. The shops makes profit by adding a percentage to the price. You buy it and get a refund back from Canon. Canon makes profits by selling it to the shops and can deduct the cashback action as advertising and promotional costs from their profit before taxation....

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
I hadn't realized that these great deals are only here in my side of the pond.............why would Canon leave out the other half of the equation?...........makes no sense to me.
Surely Canon knows that the Euro theater is a major buyer too?

Perhaps Canon wants to get EPSON out from US market, or in other words they cheat to get bigger chunk from the pie

George in Georgia

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pixma Pro 100, Epson R1800
I thought the USA was pretty hot on Anti Dumping, I know Aus is and I thought the EU was too.

It may be that there I a loophole created with the rebate???
Could it be that there isn't any US manufacturer being damaged by what might be considered dumping, unlike situations in the past with steel, for example. Some sort of arcane tax scheme as suggested by Pharmacist is a good possibility.

Robert Lemlin

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, Canon i9100
With Ink Cost at about $16.99 per 13ml tank retail, I get cost of over $600 a PINT, so it's not hard to see how they can give this printer away.

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
With Ink Cost at about $16.99 per 13ml tank retail, I get cost of over $600 a PINT, so it's not hard to see how they can give this printer away.
Ahhh...that's the primary resaon why we refill!! Ink for us is about $30/pint (+/-).

msmart

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon iP4500
There are several people in my area selling NIB with the paper for USD $150 on craigslist.

I wonder if they took advantage of the deal and are trying to make a quick $100.

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
There are several people in my area selling NIB with the paper for USD $150 on craigslist.

I wonder if they took advantage of the deal and are trying to make a quick $100.
Yup! Just check if the barcode is missing from the box. If it is, that's their "ploy"! Plenty being parted out on eBay, too!

Robert Lemlin

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Ahhh...that's the primary resaon why we refill!! Ink for us is about $30/pint (+/-).

Understood. I am on the fence right now regarding using refill ink. I am concerned about longevity, but seriously considering whether this is something to be concerned about considering my images probably aren't museum quality.:\
I am think about picking up a 2nd pro-100 and using PC inks right from the start and keeping my other one for use with canon inks for my more cherished images. WE'll see.

I wish Aardenburg would start a PC based permanence test. I wonder how many people would be willing to contribute say $25 to see that happen?

Robert Lemlin

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
FYI- This $100 coupon deal ends TODAY!

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 3880. Canon Pro 9000,
Understood. I am on the fence right now regarding using refill ink. I am concerned about longevity, but seriously considering whether this is something to be concerned about considering my images probably aren't museum quality.:\
I am think about picking up a 2nd pro-100 and using PC inks right from the start and keeping my other one for use with canon inks for my more cherished images. WE'll see.

I wish Aardenburg would start a PC based permanence test. I wonder how many people would be willing to contribute say $25 to see that happen?

The maths to calculate trajectory to Mars is demonstrated to be spot on, the SAME maths applied to ink life requires a 200 year wait???
In 200 years you will have spent several million dollars on OEM ink, your prints will have faded to oblivion, and I will have only spent thousands on refill, as a bonus I MAY have had the enjoyment of reprinting my cherished images at least once (equiped with better gear and knowledge they will be museum quality!!)

So!.........be brave, come on over to the dark side, we are having lots of fun with all the stuff we bought with the dollars we saved on ink!!!!!