Need canon printer that supports airprint AND uses 221 carts?

lowepg

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I need a airprint capable printer...

I'm bummed because I have a perfectly good Mp990 (3 in fact!) and a Pro9000 printer...

However, Im giving up on the workaround for printing from ios devices and just NEED to get a airprint printer...

I have ink and empty carts to do CLI8 or the 221.220 carts... is anyone aware of a working options to use those carts?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
lowepg said:
I need a airprint capable printer...

I'm bummed because I have a perfectly good Mp990 (2 in fact!) and a Pro9000 printer...

However, Im giving up on the workaround for printing from ios devices and just NEED to get a airprint printer...

I have ink and empty carts to do CLI8 or the 221.220 carts... is anyone aware of a working options to use those carts?
It would be a cheaper option to investigate and install a Wi Fi device
that will work with your current mp990 and pro9000 printer setup,
However if you must.

The MG range below the MG4250 can work with your 221/220 cartridges
and the Pro 100 is the only other printer that can use your CLI-8 cartridges..

lowepg

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Wifi print servers will NOT work with ipads.... even Apple ones (airport express).... been there- tried it.

One other option I think would work might be expanding my options to include CLI-226/PGI-225 printers. If I understand correctly, I can pull the chips off them and glue then onto some of my existing (clear) 220/221 carts.... I would only need to invest in a 226/225 resetter.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
lowepg wrote:

...If I understand correctly, I can pull the chips off them and glue then onto some of my existing (clear) 220/221 carts.... I would only need to invest in a 226/225 resetter.
This is correct, and an added bonus is that the 220/221 cartridges are more easily refilled, due to their windows to the ink compartments. Many people use the windowed 220/221 cartridges in stead of the opaque 225/226 cartridges for ease of refill.

For transferring the chips see this: http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=41631#p41631 Don't get the chips mixed up, as they are coded for color among other things, only transfer one chip at a time.

F

FastForward

Wi-Fi is a major advantage, despite what the old school members think. I can print from my Ipad, Android tablet, and any computer in my house without messy cables. I can even print stuff for my neighbors. Fast forward not rewind!

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
FastForward said:
Wi-Fi is a major advantage, despite what the old school members think. I can print from my Ipad, Android tablet, and any computer in my house without messy cables. I can even print stuff for my neighbors. Fast forward not rewind!
Strange - I haven't seen a groundswell of negative comments by members, either newbies or "old school members", against use of Wi-Fi. There have been some reports of problems getting all-in-one printers to perform all their functions with wi-fi, and some inquiries have been made for a way to set up a non-wi-fi printer to function as a wi-fi or to network without being attached specifically to one of the networked computers. On this issue (or any other, for that matter) I'd be hard pressed to know which of our 10,000 plus members are "old school" or what they think about Wi-Fi. Rest assured that old guys also have iphones, ipads, tablets, laptops, netbooks, and whatever other wi-fi devices we use, and we do print without the use of those "messy cables"!

I suspect that our attention on this forum has been directed more to the printer's function and less to the method by which our various devices send data to the printer. That most of us have the devices that you mention and print with them to a wi-fi printer hasn't been an issue of widespread discussion.

lowepg

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I know you CAN find indirect ways to print from Ipads, Iphones, i-devices, etc. All those method require either sending the docs to a hardwired PC, or using 3rd party apps to "fake" the printing capability. Ive tried them all! While this works for me- I decided I wanted a cleaner option for my 3 kids who use ipads more than laptops for email, school work, research etc. NOTHING is simplier than the direct print to an airprint-enabled printer.

I did not mean to debate the usefulness of WIFI here- sorry if I opened a can of worms. I bring it up as a explanation of why my printer choices are (self) limited.

The issue I was having was trying to find a printer that supported airprint but also used the older 220/221 carts... a tall order since those are older carts and airprint is a newer feature :)

The good news is I see now I can expand my search to include 225/226 carts (using a chip swap) and this looks to include several viable candidates (like the MG6220).

Final disclosure:
I use a Pro9000Mk2 for all photo prints
I use a dinosaur HP4700N for volume printing

This is simply an extra machine for the mobile printing needs to the household! Im not trying to print my 13x9 photos on a wireless all-in-one :)

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
lowepg

There is no need for you to apologise, because all you did was just to ask for help in choosing a Wi-Fi printer for your kids,
it was probabily just some newbie rattling his cage for a bit of attention thats all, I suspect.

Any of the newer printers that will take the 225 cartridge will do fine, none of the older 221cartridge printers are Wi-Fi enabled
so just be careful which of the MG series you pick, please double check first.. :)

lowepg

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
The Hat said:
lowepg

Any of the newer printers that will take the 225 cartridge will do fine, none of the older 221cartridge printers are Wi-Fi enabled
so just be careful which of the MG series you pick, please double check first.. :)
Are there any particular "fan favorites" when it comes to the canon 225 machines here?

Ive not been thrilled with the Mp990 to be honest.... its got decent output, but its a PIG on ink cleaning cycles.... I made the mistake of turning if off between uses... it EMPTIED the tanks without making ANY prints (I use it as a scanner for the last few months).

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Funny you should say that because the newer printers tend to use their ink to wash in.. :ep