Need advice on buying a Printer

C-Corp

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I have a current customer that switched over to a different printing system and they have this printer they aren't using sitting in their office. I was looking at it, but tbh I know nothing about this so I was hoping for some help.

It's an HP 3550 (purchased in 2004) comes with Manual, software and several packaged cartridges. One black cartridge, two yellow, and one Magenta.

They are asking $300 for the whole package. My concern is it being 5-6 years old. How much life does it have left in it?

Appreciate some help, thanks

Justin

refilldude

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
check the transfer belt and the life left on the fuser first

aarenlainey

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I think this was a host based printer which has some limitations as opposed to a PCL or postscript printer.Try to fire it up print off a configuration, supply status and usage page from the information menu.This will give you some idea of its condition.

jasiiboss

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
I presume Printer in Q is the HP color Laser 3550 using the Q2670/1/2/3 cartridges.
If it is in working condition BUY IT!

TheTonerGuy

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
These older printers were built very solid and reliable compared to the crap out there today. If you feel that it is in good shape, then go for it.

Furthermore, the toners used in these older printers are not Chemical Toners. As such they tend to be much easier to refill should you decide to do so. Since the printer comes with a few cartridges, you will have the opportunity to refill them. If you think this is something you want to do, then by all means by the printer.

Advantages of old technology
1) bigger cartridges that hold typically 3 or more times the toner found in today's models
2) easy to refill, no contamination issues caused be chemical toners.
3) Solid reliable performance compared to today's technology that is fragile and weak by comparison.

In any case, that's my 2 cents.

TheTonerGuy