My poor Pixma ip3000

Ron350

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
-
Warning do not attempt this with the print head installed!

Remove the print head before attempting this!

On both of my iP3000 printers I have about .080 (thickness of a Popsicle stick) between the carriage and the bumpy black plastic part underneath.

I can lay a .080 Popsicle stick on the bumpy part pushed up against the white rollers and the carriage will barely slide over it. This is done with the carriage bar in the lowest position.

If you have less clearance than .080 you must have a problem with the upper steel frame carriage assembly that holds the steel bar.

ip3000 fan

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Ron, with the carriage in its un-lifted position, I have no clearance at all. The two flanges of the holder, which support the printhead catch on the linear bumpies. It seems unlikely that there is damage to the upper steel frame. The printer has not been even moved from where it has been for years, the carriage bar seems securely in its position, and the bar is straight, with the carriage moving freely as long as it is in the lifted position.

Is there any thing that might cause the carriage bar to drop lower than it is supposed to? Thanks for all your help on this.
ip3000 fan

Ron350

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
-
From your description eater the bar is low or the print surface is high.

Look closely on both ends of the upper carriage and make sure that the Red screw is tight and the two steel bumps are in the slot just under the screws.

Look closely at the egg shaped white plastic cams that lift the print bar. The cam on the right side is part of the white gear. Look at the steel ledges that the cams rest on and make sure they are not bent.

This article about changing the waste ink sponges is the only on line pictures I know of. Compare these with your printer?
http://www.druckerchannel.de/artikel.php?ID=1831&seite=1&t=panic_waste_ink_tank_full

Where is Trigger 37 when we need him hope he is well.

ip3000 fan

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Ron, I'm mystified. Both red screws are tight, and steel bumps are in the slots. The red screw on the right is not quite as well horizontally centered as the one in the druckerchannel photo, but as it is tight, it must have been like that all along. The ledge upon which the cam rests certainly is not bent down. It does seem to have a slight incline towards the back in other words it doesn't appear to be a perfect horizontal. No photo to compare that with. The spring that looks like a paper clip sits on the left of the cam, between the cam & the steel plate.

Just to make sure, if I understand you correctly, even with the carriage in its lowest unlifted position, it should completely clear the linear nubs ... by a popsicle stick, and the carriage should move just as freely back and forth as if the carriage was in its lifted position ??

You mentioned that the print surface may be too high? That the entire bottom surface with all the linear nubs and the foam between the two rows of linear nubs, that all of that may be too high? Please clue me in how that is possible, because the carriage bar seems to check out ok. Thanks again.
ip3000 fan

Ron350

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
-
Wow every thing you describe about the red screw and the cams sounds just like my printer.

I just repaired the head holder and installed it and the clearance is much closer now. With the head holder in place there is only about .040 clearance between the plastic bumps and the bottom of the plastic head holder.

I have no idea how the print surface could be too high all I can do is describe what mine looks like.
The black plastic with all the bumps on it seams to be resting in a steel frame. I can look on both ends and see where the plastic is resting on the steel frame.

ip3000 fan

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
OK, I'm into to it now :/ Decided to try and get the holder out. Unclipped the right clip. Left clip obviously busticated. Carriage slid all the way to the left. Left side carriage bar retainer clip removed. Having trouble wiggling it out. By rotate, I assume you mean rotate the bottom of the holder outward (towards me). Please correct if wrong. Where the holder is held at the top of the carriage... underneath the printhead clamp also a seeming obstacle.

Anyway, where it is now has allowed me to view somewhat the bottom of the holder. and here is a shocker (at least to me). At the left front corner of the right-side flange, there is a large (>2mm) pointed protrusion downward. Is that supposed to be there? :eek:

Ron350

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
-
I do not see any protrusions on the bottom of my head holder.

Find the plastic hook and save it so you can repair the holder.

Where the holder is held at the top of the carriage... underneath the printhead clamp also a seeming obstacle.
The holder is just stuck in a slot that acts like a hinge when you rotate the holder toward you.
The bottom of the holder will catch on the black plastic CD assembly.
You will have to push down on that CD assembly with your thumbs as you pull the head holder toward you.

ip3000 fan

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Wow! Too Much. :lol: First I succeeded in getting the holder out. The previous time I detached the retainer clip for the carriage bar. It turns out it is not necessary to detach that retainer clip which is good because it was a pain to reattach. This time by pressing down near the ink level sensor steel plate with my thumbs I got it out and ...

The left and right lower flanges look like the have MELTED :lol: They are wavy and hanging down ... both the left and right flanges, the worst being as described before the left front corner of the right flange, which hangs (I measured) exactly .4cm lower than the flat & good part of the flange.

Just please confirm for me that these flanges are supposed to have flat bottoms, and then I'll know for sure what the cause of the problem is. Now, might you have any suggestions for how to re-melt those flanges again and bend them straight?

If I get this thing fixed, I'll be so proud of myself, it will be even better than it never having broke at all!;)

ip3000 fan

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I'm thinking of just filing off the lowest hanging parts of the flanges. What do you think. I guess my old print head must of had a short and got really hot & bothered.
Any particular maintenance that I should do as long as I got the case off? Thanks for all your help on this. I'm thinking she's gonna live.
ip3000 fan

Ron350

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
-
Mystery solved.

Just please confirm for me that these flanges are supposed to have flat bottoms

Yep both of the flanges are supposed to be flat on the bottom. The two flat pieces of plastic on the bottom that the head fits between.

Did you find the plastic hook for the right side?

Wonder if Canon will sell a replacement head holder?