My poor Pixma ip3000

ip3000 fan

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm glad I found this forum. While many people might give up on this printer as it's making sounds one would expect to hear from a malfunctioning blender (I turn it off as soon as I hear it), I recently had the experience of buying a printer for my father, and was surprised to discover that Canon's lower end models of today just don't compare with what was sold a few years back. The proof is on Ebay, where a new ip 3000 generally goes for double its original price and double today's lower end printers. Bottom line is I want to fix my ip3000. Hopefully it won't pass on, only to be a fond memory.

Well I guess much of the space here is devoted to sad stories so here it goes.

1. A few weeks back, my printer started printing strange patterns along with readable but very poorly printed text. I was also getting communication errors on my screen although I could still sort of print.

2. Then, I got the 5 orange flash "replace the printhead" error, so I bought a genuine Canon printhead on Ebay for about $50, thinking my printer will be like new.

3. I tried to print with the new printhead only 3 times. As best as I can recall, even with the first print (a nozzle check) I think I heard some noise from the printing that I never heard before. There was no black grid at all, the numbers/letters which name the ink tanks were brown, not black, and the blues were faint. Next I printed a purge graphic (Neil's). I became alarmed at the noise of the printing (although it was not yet the broken blender noise). The blues and black were both way off color. Next I tried to do a printhead calibration. This caused me to get at out of ink error (cannot continue) though I don't recall getting the preceding "low ink" error. When I checked my tanks, sure enough, both the black and the blue had no ink in the liquid-only reservoir.

4. In the couple day interim before I bought new ink tanks, my son tried to print something for school. When the printing failed, I looked at the printer and saw that it was giving a code alternating green and orange 12 times, which I later learned to be the 6A00 error. The carriage was all the way to the right and wouldn't move One post I saw (not on this forum) said to manually pull the carriage to the left. It seemed to be stuck however. Then I bought on Ebay a rather disappointing pdf "Manual" for less than $4. It should an exploded view of the parts, but no explanations. A post on the internet said to use a flat-bladed screwdriver and look closely for arrows showing where the screwdriver could separate the pieces. Much to my amazement, and without too much difficulty, I succeeded in taking off the sides and top without breaking anything. (yeah)

5. Well the first thing I wanted to do was to replace the empty ink tanks as my new printhead was at risk of clogging. Then I tried to move the carriage left, but even now that I could get a good grip, it still wouldn't budge. It was hitting something that was stopping it. So then thinking that maybe for some reason the printhead wasn't inserted properly (not that there is a trick!), I took out the ink and tried to remove the printhead, but IT WOULDN'T COME OUT. It seemed like there was no good reason for it not to come out, so I decided to force it, and sure enough it came out and upon examination, seemed none the worse for the wear. So I put the printhead and the ink tanks back in a tried again. Still error 6A00 and the carriage won't move. At this point, at least the printhead slipped in and out of the carriage properly and wan't stuck in the carriage like before.

6. I then came across an internet post that said that the error can be caused by the mechanism which wipes ink off the printhead becoming glued tight by dried ink. In order to see better what was happening, I started the printer without the printhead installed. Sure enough I could see that the approx. 1"sq white plastic piece which is the base of the mylar wipes was in fact trying to move, but was stuck. What a relief!

7. Now I discovered that probably all this time, I could have moved the carriage if I aggressively lifted it first. (there is quite a bit of spring tension) I moved the carriage to the left part way so that I could access the area of the wiping mechanism. with just a faint touch the white square unstuck and slid (either forward or backward, I can't remember). the point is that now it moved freely. With a q-tip and alcohol I cleaned up the area a little bit, put the printhead and ink tanks back in, lifted the carriage and moved it back all the way to the right, and started the printer. Still error 6A00 and the carriage wouldn't move. To see what was happening, I took the printhead out again and started the printer. Success, I thought. The wiper mechanism moved freely and smoothly, the pads upon which the printhead sleeps moved up & down or down & up, but then .... BROKEN BLENDER FREAK-OUT, and after what seemed like an eternity of 1 or 2 seconds, the noise stopped and I now was getting error code 5100 (alternate green and orange 2 times). Error 5100 can refer to Carriage Unit, or timing strip, or logic board, or carriage motor. Not wanting to overlook the obvious, I vote for Carriage Unit.

8. It was suggested to me by a local business machine repairman that I try cleaning the timing strip. Using simple orange cleaner mixed with water on a q-tip, I cleaned both sides of the timing strip. There was no change in the printer's behavior ... namely it was rude and obnoxious.

9. Please note that with the printhead installed I get error 6A00. With the printhead out I get the horrible noise and error 5100. I tried a few more times with the printhead out, and my finger next to the power button ready to turn it off, and looking closely to try and see what might be physically blocking the movement of the carriage. I can't really see very well, but it seems that the bottom of the carriage might be catching on the black plastic frame which holds the pads for the sleeping printhead.

My Conclusions FWIW

1. It's my un-informed opinion that the noise is simply from the carriage trying to move, but being blocked ... possibly by the frame of the resting pad. This could be caused by either the carriage being too low, or the resting pad mechanism being to high.

2. The 6A00 error that I still get if the printhead is installed, may be being cause by the sliding movement of the white plastic square being blocked by the printhead. This if it is true, also indicates that carriage is too low. This also probably explains why my printhead got stuck in the carriage and could only be removed by force. It had somehow gotten locked up with the wiper mechanism.

3. Lastly, in the two printings that I did after I first installed the new printhead, I was getting some noises that I never heard before. Some of them sounded (in retrospect) like the carriage was dragging along the bottom. I know what that feels like because if I try to move by hand by lifting up against the strong spring tension, I can feel the carriage pass over the approx. 24 block plastic linear nubs at the bottom of where the carriage travels. This also seems to indicate that the carriage is too low.

In other words, I think that there is some malfunctioning of a mechanism or process which is supposed to lift the carriage to a higher level. Lastly I have to believe that the fact that all of this occurred immediately upon my first installing the new printhead,

... is a complete coincidence! How hard can dropping in a printhead be? :eek:

Without some outside expert input, I'm afraid I've done all I can do. Sorry for this insanely long post. Thanks for reading.

headphonesman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
http://www.fixya.com/support/t126701-error_code

dont know if this helps....................an engineer that repaired my 600 recently (feed path roller blockage ) , was discussing common errors on the Canon said some had had the wrong grease applied to the lift mechanism.............which sounds like you last interpretation.

hope something works for you.

ip3000 fan

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks headphonesman. That information is in the hopper.
ip 3000 fan

Ron350

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
-
IP3000 fan

It sounds like you started off with a purge assembly jam that progressed into a major problem.

The iP3000 have two clear wiper blades on the white sliding part. One of the clear blades is held in place by a thin white piece of plastic that pops up and causes the purge unit to jam.

With the ink carts (tanks) and print head removed you are left with the empty print head holder hanging there clipped on the main parts that the slides on the steel bar.
This print head holder is held in place by a small plastic tab on ether side of the holder. These tabs break easily and may be the cause of your dragging noise problem.

ip3000 fan

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Ron 350, I think you might have hit on it ! Please tell me, if one gently pulls the holder from the bottom towards the front of the printer, is the amount of movement or "play" identical on both sides of the holder, or does the left side (looking at the printer from the front) pull out a little further? I'm suspecting that the left side tab broke, and wondering about the possibility of super-gluing the holder back onto the "main part" (as you described it) it at the approximately 1cm long vertical segment at the very bottom on the left side. Please tell me if on your printer that left side can be pulled out a little further than the right side ... or not. Thanks. I'm hopeful again.
ip 3000 fan

Ron350

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
-
If both of the plastic retainer hooks are not broken the print head holder (whatever its real name is) should have no play at all. The head holder should feel like it is part of the assembly it snaps into (the part that the drive belt drags back and forth.).

I have two used iP3000s and on both printers the left side hook was broken. I can pull the left side of the holder toward me a little but the printers worked OK. I have carefully removed both head holders and the right side hook is good on both pieces.
I would like to find a way to fix this with out having to glue the part in place. Flimsy part should be held in place by screws and not plastic hooks.

The part # on the back of the holder is QC1-4473-T1-3.

Last year I picked up a used i560 and the left side hook was broken on that printer also. The i560 holder is designed just different enough so that they will not interchange with the iP3000.
Makes me wonder what is stressing the left side more than the right side of the print head holder?

ip3000 fan

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Ron350, or anyone ... I'm wondering, when the tankless and printhead-less carriage is manually moved left and right (without lifting up against the spring tension),

... whether one can feel the carriage go bumb-bump as it moves over the linear nubs, and whether that bump-bump feels the same whether the carriage is moved left or right.

Note, this can only be found out with the casing off the printer, and please don't remove the casing on my account !
ip3000 fan

ip3000 fan

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Ron350, I'm not clear as to where the two "hooks" are that attach the holder to the main carriage. Could you please describe in more detail? Can the holder be removed from the main carriage by detaching these hooks? I want to be able to examine the underside of the holder as that's where it seems to be catching. Thanks.
ip3000 fan

Ron350

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
-
Wish one of the older members would chime in and give the correct name for these parts.

Slide the head assembly to the left and look at the right side of the carage head assembly. You will be able to see a square hole just in front of the steel bar.
This hole is the right side release hole for the head holder.
There is a small round hole just in front of the square hole but I do not know what that is for.
There is a hole in the same place on the left side but it is harder to see because of the steel wire retainer clip.
Once both clips are loose from the main carriage head thing slide everything all the way to the left.
Then unhook the left spring that holds the steel bar in place.

Then rotate the head holder toward you and out of the trench that it moves back and forth in. The trench that has the long sponge in between the bumpy plastic.
Even then you will have to push down on the steel plate that covers the ink level sensor assembly to have room to rotate the head holder out.
Looks like the head holder was not designed to be removed with the steel bar still mounted in the printer.

Once that is out rehook the left bar retaining spring and inspect every thing.

I have several magic markers and paint sticks to mark where parts go.

ip3000 fan

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Ron, thanks for your clear post. Though the left hook is most probably broken I now think that this is not what is causing the carriage to jam. When I manually rotated the drive train which operates the purge unit, and which also lifts the carriage, I stopped at the point where the carriage was at its maximum lift, and was able to freely and smoothly move the carriage all the way left & right. If I start the printer however the carriage drops and if the carriage is all the way to the right, it definitely interferes with the movement of the wiper mechanism, and also cannot move to the left because it catches on the frame around the head resting pads. If the carriage is to the
left enough to be past the entire purge unit area, the carriage hangs & jams if it is being driven to the left, and if it is being driven to right, it goes luppity-lup as it drags over the linear nubs. Seems like the carriage position and the cycle of the drive train don't agree with each other. Thoughts?
ip3000 fan