My new Epson R2000

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
I always thought that DYE inks can be mixed, but PIGMENT can't as they contain particles that do not mix, that's why Pigment printers have so many inks like (red,orange, green, blue). DYE printers just over spray the colors onto one another to get new colors.

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Why are there so many new? R2000s without printhead or ink, for sale on Ebay for £60 or less? Are the ink and printhead that costly?

Because the R2000 is the NEW Direct to Garment Printer of choice!
They do a pretty rough job in the removal of the print head. I saw a video and it made me cringe.

Also that is why there are full sets of OEM inks for R2000 for about $15 and up.
I own 15 full sets. I no longer bother with anything else.

Joe

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
I always thought that DYE inks can be mixed, but PIGMENT can't as they contain particles that do not mix, that's why Pigment printers have so many inks like (red,orange, green, blue). DYE printers just over spray the colors onto one another to get new colors.

You are 100% correct.
If you need orange, red, green, or blue pigment ink, you must therefore you orange, red, green, or blue pigment to begin with.

That is the theory but hell, who knows right?

Joe

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
  • $18.99
  • or Best Offer
  • +$26.46 shipping

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Pigment ink does mix: remember the old method of mixing paint in the primary school to obtain different colors ? water color/gouache is actually pigment based, so it does wonderfully well.

I know those cheap original cartridges...but remember: not everybody lives in the States and for me it would be too expensive including the hatred import levies and tax duties when importing from the USA....Otherwise I would have bought a Canon Pro-100.:th.

costadinos

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
7900, 4900, 9890, R2000, P50
Could check the hue/tone of the following mix of yellow and vivid magenta to reproduce orange and red with the ones of the Orange Champion and IS/OCP red ink:

orange: 3 drops of yellow + 1 drop of vivid magenta (for example in a small plastic container)
red: 1 drop of yellow + 4 drops of vivid magenta

and swap it out on a piece of photo paper with cotton stick and do the same with the Champion orange and IS/OCP red ink ?

This is a very easy test to do and I tried to make orange and red. As I don't have native orange and red ink, maybe you could upload a scan of the swaps using the above inks, so I can see if my mix is the right one ?

You were spot on for the orange. 3 parts yellow + 1 part magenta.
For the red 1 yellow + 4 magenta is much more towards magenta than the pure red ink.
The closest I could get is with 1 part yellow + 1 part vivid magenta.

Pure red/orange inks on the left, mixture on the right in the following shots.
Hope this helped.

_DSC0660.jpg _DSC0661.jpg

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Thanks Costadinos,

Are you sure the right picture shows the original ink on the left side: it is more magenta to me and the right dot of ink is reddish ? Maybe 2 parts of yellow and 3 parts of magenta ?

Thanks for fulfilling my request.

costadinos

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
7900, 4900, 9890, R2000, P50
Thanks Costadinos,

Are you sure the right picture shows the original ink on the left side: it is more magenta to me and the right dot of ink is reddish ? Maybe 2 parts of yellow and 3 parts of magenta ?

Thanks for fulfilling my request.

No, it's correct. It's a photo with flash and auto WB, so the colors maybe a bit off between the red and orange sets.
What I did was place 4 drops of magenta on the paper and then add one, two, three and four drops of yellow on top of them and compare visually (and similarly for the other color).
The best match was 3Y+1M and 1Y+1M.
And all OEM HDR orange, OCP orange for the R2000 and IS orange for the 7900 were pretty similar. The R2000 orange is just a bit more dense (at least it looks like that), but the hue is pretty much the same...

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Let's have a look at my swabs on photo paper, what's your opinion about this:

mix orange red and magenta 1.jpeg

I mixed the ink on a small plastic tray, dip a cotton swab in it and strike the cotton on photo paper. The right swab is vivid magenta. What do you think ?