Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
boiling is not recommended as the safe temp is 40c

Harvey

Print Addict
Reaction score
boiling is not recommended as the safe temp is 40c

Remember that there is ink in the sponges of the cartridges, I have my carts open, but I don´t remove the sponge and there is some residual ink, when water boils the ink in the sponges gets transfered to water, and sometimes water gets into the sponges. I can see the sponges getting very wet from water coming up through the sponges.

My believe is that due to the fact that print nozzles are not boiled without any coolant, in this case the ink, which is designed to keep the nozzles cool when firing as is required for thermal inkjet printing. This avoids any damage to the nozzles, also ink migrates to the water and water gets into the sponges. This is not the same when boiling individual cartrigde printheads. These printheads won´t benefit from boiling because they won´t have any ink cooling them as the ink is in the cartridges.

When I considered the boiling time was over I just refilled the carts, placed the lid on the carts and after a deep clean head no more streaking or banding. This always worked for me when even a purge adapter for CISS worked. Both the pigment and the tricolor cart worked perfect in this case PG 210, and the CL-211.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
What @Smile means is that you can use hot water but boiling water in never to be recommended, because it can be to destructive.

It may work well for you but the question is for how long..

Harvey

Print Addict
Reaction score
What @Smile means is that you can use hot water but boiling water in never to be recommended, because it can be to destructive.

It may work well for you but the question is for how long..

Boiling water was indeed destructive with standalone printheads, but don´t know why with printheads integrated to the cartridge is another story. Maybe I boiled the cartridges 10 times, and even electrical contacts got wet, and no problems at all.

Now I can´t do more testing as the printer is not with me, I boiled new carts and empty virgin ones. No problems at all.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Boiling water was indeed destructive with standalone printheads, but don´t know why with printheads integrated to the cartridge is another story. Maybe I boiled the cartridges 10 times, and even electrical contacts got wet, and no problems at all.

Now I can´t do more testing as the printer is not with me, I boiled new carts and empty virgin ones. No problems at all.

Maybe you live in the mountains or something you boiling temp is lower :)

Harvey

Print Addict
Reaction score
I wish I´d live in the mountains I live at 400 meter above sea level.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
I replaced the cart to entirely different one, but same problems remain.
The black cart nozzles dries in few days.

I suspect wear in the printer base purge unit (non replaceable part) so I have to get new printer.