MIS ink/inksupply.com inks cross contaminating in hp c309 AIO.

nerdful1

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Interesting, mis inksupply said it was a possibility that a bad seal to the bottom of the cart could introduce air and make a leak. This at the time didn't make sense either. I figured it would leak out, of which I never see any ink arounf the strainer seal, or the air would cause ink starvation.

I'll take a look at the carts I have from hp, sealed in a bag somewhere, and put the chips back on.

I don't know about purge pad counting, if it is done, can be displayed or reset, etc.

I do know it got rid of some error codes.

I was never able (Except once under linux, then never again) print a dvd label. It freaks out, clicks and grinds, etc.

HP themselves admitted to never getting it right and mentioned a third party program to purchase to do more than simple lable printing.

I see canon printers with dvd label printing, but not following them, being too busy with this one.

I'll try for some pix, but it is easy to disassemble.

I am going to cut off the "hood" over the head park position to better able to clean the spitoon in the future.

This may also cause the unit to "not notice" that a ink cart has been removed while the power is off.

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
Sorry, limited time to comment, but it just occurred to me. After reviewing what you have written, it seems possible that you could have been overfilling a little. Leave the cartridge open an upright for a few minutes before you install it. It should not drip at all. I would even blow out a few drops or maybe 1/2 mL or so, just to make sure it's not overfilled.

Mikling's method for top filling is to seal the outlet, then fill ink chamber 1/4 full, or 1/2 full if you fill it fast. Then seal the vent with you thumb or by some other method, and fill ink chamber the rest of the way. Then seal the ink chamber, and you can be confident you haven't overfilled the sponge chamber.

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
nerdful1 said:
I was never able (Except once under linux, then never again) print a dvd label. It freaks out, clicks and grinds, etc.

HP themselves admitted to never getting it right and mentioned a third party program to purchase to do more than simple lable printing.
I print CDs and DVDs all the time, but it's a huge pain in the neck until you discover some of the secrets. I don't think you need to buy anything. I sure wouldn't spend money on software that in all likelihood may not work better than what you have.

It does just as you said, and throws all kinds of fits, asking for a different tray, etc. And you have to cancel (from the printer!) and make sure the job is also cancelled in the computer. Maybe even turn it all off and sleep it off. Then I had to open some HP control panel somewhere (I forget where, but you really have to search them all out). I couldn't figure out why I couldn't print anything, then I discovered that in the secret panel somehow it was set not to accept jobs. Once I was trying to print a 4 3/4" square label for a CD case, and it insisted on putting a hole in it and not printing outside the circle. (If only I could get it to do that for a CD.)

I'm sure you know there are lots of confusing printer control dialogs ALL OVER the computer. My secret is, you have to check all the print options from the print dialog box. And you have to check them every time unless you print on the same size paper etc. each time. In OpenOffice or Libre Office you need to ignore the File > Printer settings... menu. As far as I can figure, it's identical to the File > Print etc. menu, except that it doesn't work. Once you get the right page source, etc., and the printer agrees to that, it seems to work fine. And for printing something like a CD (or CD label, perhaps), I finally just went to Windows and picked one of the canned options. Then I used the same numbers in Linux and created a template. It work, sort of. You have to set the page size just so (and it's not the actual size that you want!). Now I hardly ever have any problem.

So now I can usually print CDs without problem from Ubuntu, except for one problem. It prints way off center. So I'm giving up and print CDs from LibreOffice for Windows.

I don't know whether the bugs are in the HP driver or in the programs. I'd file some bug reports, but I can't figure out where to shoot.

I almost forgot the other secret. The print menu has a small preview of the page. That usually works correctly, and it will tell you if everything is screwed up. Good luck with that printer. Other than it being a bit finicky, I kind of like it. (I think ALL inkjet printers do a lot of extraneous clunking and grinding and make a big production out of every page.)