Ip8500 ink tank full error message

jimbo123

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
MP830 MP980
video worked, looks like you only pressed RESUME twice, try RESUME four times to reset and hopefully stop those blinking lights, see below

to reset counter: follow PeterBJ's full instructions: then RESUME, RESUME, RESUME, RESUME, POWER

Trevors

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon ip8500
We've got there! Thanks for all your help. You were correct, I had to set the page counter to zero first. I've now printed the EEPROM page and see that D=000.18 but the TPAGE =06695? I don't use my printer that often, mainly for photos. Does a photo = more than a single page of BW text?

Trevor

jimbo123

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
MP830 MP980
definitely a "multiple-country" effort to help you resolve your problem

PeterBJ: - Denmark
The Hat: - Ireland
Jimbo123: - USA

good job by all, glad we could help you,

J

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
• Printers: Canon MP830, IP4500, MX700, MX860, MX870, MP980
• Method: German Durchstich Method, Lazy Method(refill single set of ink carts)
• Ink: Hobbicolors and OCP
• Misc: Squeeze bottles - so much easier than syringes

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Congratulations. Well done. You are now a qualified service mode user :thumbsup

It is often said that a picture is more worth than a thousand words, and even more for moving pictures, so your idea of uploading the video was brilliant. Without the video I would still have been wondering if your procedure was wrong, or the printer had encountered an electronic error preventing service mode operations.

For interpretation of the EEPROM info print see the service manual page 1-14 and on, and also this post for more info: http://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/canon-service-tool-v2000.6615/page-5#post-49833 plus my answer. This is for a newer printer, but much of the info is the same for many printers.

Your printer may be 10 years old, so maybe you printed that much over the years? If you want to, you can upload a scan of the info print. Only upload the part with the normal print. The hex dump printed in a smaller font is not needed. I can then explain what I know about interpreting it.

Last edited:

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990

jimbo123

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
MP830 MP980
again congrats on resolving the "flashing lights" problem.

understand that it did not resolve the issue that the printer thought your internal ink waste pads were saturated, D=95% or greater

some "fly blind" and just keep printing, others put something under the printer in case it starts to leak ink, others take the printer apart so to replace the waste pads. there is risk involved with all 3 approaches.

replacing the pads is one of those, "only difficult the first time" tasks. second time around its a breeze.

J

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Trevors

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon ip8500
IMG_0744eeprom page 15 March 2014.jpg
Here is the printed page.

T

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Starting from the top:

iP8500 is the printer model. V1.07 is the firmware version. IF(USB1=1 USB2=0) means this printer has 2 USB connections one for USB1 and one for USB2. The USB1 connector is in use. IF could mean Interface. ST=... is the time for first print in format yyyy.mm.dd - hh:mm

ER(.....) is the list of last encountered errors. 10 errors can be stored, so only 4 errors accumulated over 8 years is impressive!
ER0 and ER3, both = 01000 are harmless operator call errors meaning the rear paper tray is empty. ER2 is a operator call error, a warning that the ink absorbers are becoming full, printing is still possible, D=95. ER1= 05b00 is a service call error meaning that the absorbers are now full, D=100, and the printer has been locked.

LPT=... is Last Print Time= yyyy.mm.dd - hh:mm

PC(M=003 R=000 T=00255 D=000 C=108) PC means Purge Count. M=003 means 3 manual print head cleanings were ordered by the user. R=000 means no deep print head cleanings were ordered. T=00255 means 255 print head cleanings were ordered by a firmware timer. D=000 means no print head cleanings were ordered by the firmware printed dot counter. C=108 means 108 print head cleanings were ordered by the firmware due to the change of an ink cartridge or the print head. CLT0 and CLT1 = ... are time and date for the last print head cleanings. The reason for two values is that the print head has two sections that can be cleaned individually.

CH=0001 means that the print head was never changed or removed for cleaning outside the printer. CT(G=.....) is number of cartridge changes, IS(G=0.....) is Ink Status. AFAIK it can have four values 0,1,2 and 3. My guess is that 0 means a full cartridge and 3 means an empty or low ink cartridge.

IS(G=000........) is Ink Consumption. I cannot figure this out. Maybe it is a factory calibration value.

P_ON is a power on counter meaning the printer was powered on automatically by receiving a print job 2769 times, manually by the power button 75 times and automatic by a timer 0 times. A_REG=1 means the print head was aligned automatically once. M_REG = 0 means the print head was never aligned manually.

UR(A(Geo......) are the values from a print head alignment.

WP are wiping count = 6760 times. At power on and at some intervals determined by the firmware, the underside of the print head is wiped clean. CDIN(LG=000 PB=000) is a direct from camera print connection record. It looks like this was never used. MSD(49710) is longest time without printing in ?? time units. Maybe this is in minutes? It would then mean the longest period without printing was 34.5 days.

TPAGE=06695 is the total number of pages printed.
PAGE(All........) is a list of prints from the rear tray, meaning total 6674, Plain Paper 4451, High Resolution + Matte Photo paper 0, photo paper pro + photo paper plus glossy + photo paper plus semi gloss = 86, glossy photo paper = 319, postcards =0, envelopes =0. Letter size + 4X6" = 1598, 2L size(?) + 5X7"=13.

UCPAGE(....) is number of pages printed from the cassette. Nothing was printed from the cassette.

BDPAGE is the number of duplex pages. a total of 21 was printed, no double sided photo paper and no postcards were printed.

CDPAGE is Camera Direct pages, none were printed. EDGE is number of border-less prints with a total of 399, all were other format than postcard and were fed via the rear tray. CDR=00000 means no printable CDs were printed.

CDRP(...) are CD alignment values. CDRS is a CD sensor calibration value

Head Temp0 and Head Temp1 are print head temperatures in centigrade. The reason for two values is that the print head is divided into two sections. The temperature of 28.5 C is fine. Env temp is environment temperature, meaning temperature somewhere inside the printer, 25 C is also fine.

HDEEPROM is an EEPROM mounted on the back side of the contact circuit board of the printhead. The data are Version, Serial Number, Lot Number, ID = 1, maybe this means first print head. Injection Level=....... is probably a factory calibration value.

I am really impressed by this record. No problems during 8 years of use. Only problem encountered was the ink absorber becoming full. This shows that these old printers are really good build quality and that you have taken very good care of your printer. You see this is really a detailed record of printer usage history.

Please study the service manual and druckerchannel instruction carefully before taking the printer apart. I don't know this printer but I know the mechanically similar iP4000 well, and have disassembled and reassembled these printers more than once, so feel free to ask in case of problems. It would really be a pity to ruin this gem by making a mistake, now that it has been unlocked and is working again.

Last edited:

jimbo123

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
MP830 MP980
PeterBJ, great job explaining all the fields, always wanted to know what the obscure ones were.

in looking at my EEPROM print, looks like 2 errors, ERR0=1160 and ERR1=1003. any ideas what they are?

attached is my print, see anything else that jumps out at you ?

looks like nearly 1000 print head cleanings over 6+ years, is that right ?

J

Trevors

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon ip8500
Starting from the top:

iP8500 is the printer model. V1.07 is the firmware version. IF(USB1=1 USB2=0) means this printer has 2 USB connections one for USB1 and one for USB2. The USB1 connector is in use. IF could mean Interface. ST=... is the time for first print in format yyyy.mm.dd - hh:mm

ER(.....) is the list of last encountered errors. 10 errors can be stored, so only 4 errors accumulated over 8 years is impressive!
ER0 and ER3, both = 01000 are harmless operator call errors meaning the rear paper tray is empty. ER2 is a operator call error, a warning that the ink absorbers are becoming full, printing is still possible, D=95. ER1= 05b00 is a service call error meaning that the absorbers are now full, D=100, and the printer has been locked.

LPT=... is Last Print Time= yyyy.mm.dd - hh:mm

PC(M=003 R=000 T=00255 D=000 C=108) PC means Purge Count. M=003 means 3 manual print head cleanings were ordered by the user. R=000 means no deep print head cleanings were ordered. T=00255 means 255 print head cleanings were ordered by a firmware timer. D=000 means no print head cleanings were ordered by the firmware printed dot counter. C=108 means 108 print head cleanings were ordered by the firmware due to the change of an ink cartridge or the print head. CLT0 and CLT1 = ... are time and date for the last print head cleanings. The reason for two values is that the print head has two sections that can be cleaned individually.

CH=0001 means that the print head was never changed or removed for cleaning outside the printer. CT(G=.....) is number of cartridge changes, IS(G=0.....) is Ink Status. AFAIK it can have four values 0,1,2 and 3. My guess is that 0 means a full cartridge and 3 means an empty or low ink cartridge.

IS(G=000........) is Ink Consumption. I cannot figure this out. Maybe it is a factory calibration value.

P_ON is a power on counter meaning the printer was powered on automatically by receiving a print job 2769 times, manually by the power button 75 times and automatic by a timer 0 times. A_REG=1 means the print head was aligned automatically once. M_REG = 0 means the print head was never aligned manually.

UR(A(Geo......) are the values from a print head alignment.

WP are wiping count = 6760 times. At power on and at some intervals determined by the firmware, the underside of the print head is wiped clean. CDIN(LG=000 PB=000) is a direct from camera print connection record. It looks like this was never used. MSD(49710) is longest time without printing in ?? time units. Maybe this is in minutes? It would then mean the longest period without printing was 34.5 days.

TPAGE=06695 is the total number of pages printed.
PAGE(All........) is a list of prints from the rear tray, meaning total 6674, Plain Paper 4451, High Resolution + Matte Photo paper 0, photo paper pro + photo paper plus glossy + photo paper plus semi gloss = 86, glossy photo paper = 319, postcards =0, envelopes =0. Letter size + 4X6" = 1598, 2L size(?) + 5X7"=13.

UCPAGE(....) is number of pages printed from the cassette. Nothing was printed from the cassette.

BDPAGE is the number of duplex pages. a total of 21 was printed, no double sided photo paper and no postcards were printed.

CDPAGE is Camera Direct pages, none were printed. EDGE is number of border-less prints with a total of 399, all were other format than postcard and were fed via the rear tray. CDR=00000 means no printable CDs were printed.

CDRP(...) are CD alignment values. CDRS is a CD sensor calibration value

Head Temp0 and Head Temp1 are print head temperatures in centigrade. The reason for two values is that the print head is divided into two sections. The temperature of 28.5 C is fine. Env temp is environment temperature, meaning temperature somewhere inside the printer, 25 C is also fine.

HDEEPROM is an EEPROM mounted on the back side of the contact circuit board of the printhead. The data are Version, Serial Number, Lot Number, ID = 1, maybe this means first print head. Injection Level=....... is probably a factory calibration value.

I am really impressed by this record. No problems during 8 years of use. Only problem encountered was the ink absorber becoming full. This shows that these old printers are really good build quality and that you have taken very good care of your printer. You see this is really a detailed record of printer usage history.

Please study the service manual and druckerchannel instruction carefully before taking the printer apart. I don't know this printer but I know the mechanically similar iP4000 well, and have disassembled and reassembled these printers more than once, so feel free to ask in case of problems. It would really be a pity to ruin this gem by making a mistake, now that it has been unlocked and is working again.