Ip8500 ink tank full error message

Trevors

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon ip8500
It's great to have so many of you looking over my shoulder at my work. Sorry to be so poor at it BUT I get so far and then am not sure if I've got it right.

eg at point 4 of PBJ list the green light does blink but at the same time the printer head judders about. Eventallly the green light stays on.

Next you say "
Pressing the stop resume button once when the printer is in service mode selects the service test print with an extended nozzle check plus more." Does the -service test print- automatically produce a printed page? If so then it does not work for me. How else would I know about the extended nozzle check?

Also when and if I get to "the EEPROM info print that holds a detailed record of the printers history"; how would I know or read this?

It's good that you have told me NOT to take things apart before I have re-set the counter. At least I know where to start!

Do I leave the USB connection to my PC in place?

Trevor

jimbo123

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
MP830 MP980
trevor

PeterBJ's post explained it well, after step 4 make sure give it some time to stop making noise, 1-2 min, once the green light stays on you are in service mode

once in service mode:

1. to print EEPROM data page: RESUME, RESUME, POWER - top line should show the D=NN%, then hit POWER to turn OFF and then POWER to turn back on

2. to reset counter: follow PeterBJ's full instructions: then RESUME, RESUME, RESUME, RESUME, POWER

3. now redo 1. above to see if counter, D=NN% has been set to 0%

here is a sample EEPROM printout of my MP830, it has been reset once, D=35.7%

J

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
• Printers: Canon MP830, IP4500, MX700, MX860, MX870, MP980
• Method: German Durchstich Method, Lazy Method(refill single set of ink carts)
• Ink: Hobbicolors and OCP
• Misc: Squeeze bottles - so much easier than syringes

Trevors

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon ip8500
Hi J,

Thanks for your suggestions.

I attach a video clip of my actions. There is no commentry but you can hear the ink cartridges doing the normal head cleaning back & forth movement. Eventually after pressing the 2 x resume button you can see the power light go back to the 7 x orange -1 x green mode.

Have I missed anything out?

Thanks.

Trevor

PS I see I can't attach a video clip. Can I dropbox it to you?

jimbo123

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
MP830 MP980
trevor

my experience with flashing errors is limited, especially on printers with non-chipped carts

better to upload the video it to youtube, etc, then paste in the link so to let others see and comment

for example, here are postings that includes a youtube video i made re squeeze bottle refilling, just paste in the youtube link using the link icon when replying

http://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/refilling-using-squeeze-bottles-w-pics-and-video-new.3935/

http://www.printerknowledge.com/thr...s-w-pics-and-video-new.3935/page-9#post-27700

i just noticed when i made the video i had done 80 refills, a few years later i'm now at over 500 refills over 2 MP830s. your printer is worth the effort to save.

J

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
• Printers: Canon MP830, IP4500, MX700, MX860, MX870, MP980
• Method: German Durchstich Method, Lazy Method(refill single set of ink carts)
• Ink: Hobbicolors and OCP
• Misc: Squeeze bottles - so much easier than syringes

Last edited:

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Have I missed anything out?

As the printer has been locked due to the absorber being completely full, it is possible that the only service mode operation that can be performed is the absorber reset. Printing the test and info page might not be possible at this point in time.

So the printer should enter service mode by carefully following one of the instructions from the service manual. the druckerchannel article, or the instruction by The Hat or by me. All these instructions describe the same procedure but using different words. The procedure from Canon's service manuals can be a bit confusing.

Once service mode is entered, select the absorber counter reset by pressing and releasing the stop/resume button 4 times, and execute the command by pressing the power button. The power light may blink and then light steadily. After the light is steady or you have waited for say 10 seconds, then the counter should be reset and the printer unlocked.

You can now select the EEPROM info print by pressing the the stop/resume button twice and execute the command by pressing and releasing the power button. Hopefully the printer will now produce the EEPROM info print with the "D = 000.0"

You can now leave service mode by pressing and releasing the power button once, without first having made any selections using the stop/resume button. This will turn off the printer. When turning on the printer normally, using only the power button, the printer should now be functional again.

I have found this Youtube video showing entering service mode and resetting the absorber counter for a Canon MP550. The buttons are placed differently than on your printer and the power and alarm lights are separate, not a combined green/yellow light as on your iP8500. But the procedure is the same.

Link to the video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvgneJYfVuI
PS I see I can't attach a video clip. Can I dropbox it to you?

You cannot attach a video, you can only link to it. I do not subscribe to dropbox, so I don't know the details of how to use it. Will a link allow me to see the video? If so could you either post a link, or if you don't wish everybody to see the video, then you could use the conversations feature to send me the link in a private message. I can then review your attempts of service mode operations.

Last edited:

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
By clicking the "film strips icon" you can insert a linked video directly in your post. This is the Youtube video from the previous post:

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Private video.jpg

This is in Danish. It translates to: "This video is private. If the owner has granted you admittance, you can log in". This is the result of my clicking the link. I don't have any Google accounts, and I don't want to. Is there any other method to access the video?

Last edited:

Trevors

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon ip8500
Try again now. See if that's any better. Or maybe try this

T

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Bingo! Now the video works, both the link in post #17 and #19 :)

Your procedure is correct. At 1:02 in the video the printer has entered service mode and is ready for your selection. The startup noises and flashing until 1:02 is normal. You correctly select and execute the command to print the EEPROM info.

I think the reason it doesn't work is that the printer is locked due to the absorber being full. I suggest that you enter service mode again, but this time select the absorber reset by pressing and releasing the stop/resume 4 times and execute the command by pressing and releasing power once.

After the reset, the printer is hopefully unlocked, and you can proceed with selecting and executing the EEPROM info print. Hopefully it works now. Finally leave the service mode by turning off the printer by pressing and releasing the Power button once, without having made any further selections.

Last edited: