IP5200 refill, not happy with image quality

Photofan1986

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP540, IP3000 dead :(
So here is a scan of the nozzle check with the Canon oem inks. As it should look. http://www.pictureshack.us/images/57878_nozzle_check_high_res_good.jpg
The mystery is that today, I cleaned some cli-521 carts for my mp540 the same way as I do with the cli-8 tanks, dryed them the same way, and finally filled them the same way and with the same ink (except another cyan). Well, verdict: no problem whatsoever. No lines, and perfect nozzle check as with Canon inks.
Honestly, I'm at a loss. :barnie

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The uploaded image of the OEM nozzle check looks much better, with much more regular magenta and cyan stripes, I think that it is perfectly OK.

Your successful cleaning, drying and refilling the CLI-521 cartridges indicate to me that your technique and the ink is OK. This leaves the used CLI-8 cartridges as suspect. What is wrong with these cartridges, I cannot figure out, but try refilling one of the new OEM cartridges, when it runs empty. Hopefully that refilled cartridge will behave properly.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Photofan1986 said:
So I tried another solution, I washed the cart again using Pharmacist's solution and shook it vigorously until almost no water was inside the sponge. I let it dry overnight, and tried to refill today. Though luck, ink won't flow into the sponge.

I think @PeterBJ maybe onto to something about the CLI-8 carts because some of the other colours are nowhere near as affected as the magenta and Cyan are, they could have received some damage on a previous purge by allowing the sponge to get over dry ?

Try getting a replacement magenta cart for your current troublesome one and refilling that as you did with the 521 carts or use a 521 magenta carts, you’ll need to file down the clip a little to make the cart snap in to place plus don't forget to swap over the chip.

Her are your two nozzle checks side by side !
2 Nozzles together.jpg Click to enlarge.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
From nozzle check the problem might be the ink IMO. Try some different ink.