iP4700 - your thoughts on CD/DVD printing

strobemonkey

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi all,

After much deliberation that I need a second printer - something that can print directly onto CDs, I've decided to get a Cano IP4700 instead of my original plan to get the Epson P50.

I'm now very happy with the output I'm getting from my MP560.

Will I get the same output with the IP4700, is there a waste ink mod available for this model just like the epsons? Will I be able to use A4 size canvas? Lastly, what are your thoughts with regards to direct cd printing with this model?

TIA

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
strobemonkey said:
is there a waste ink mod available for this model just like the epsons? Will I be able to use A4 size canvas? Lastly, what are your thoughts with regards to direct cd printing with this model?
Spoke to you about this yesterday I believe and as yet there is no data on waste ink modifications but if someone wants to ship me an iP4700 to take apart, fit a waste kit to (documenting as I go) and ship it back I'd be happy to do it... (if you pay the shipping that is :))

strobemonkey

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I've had the iP4700 since Saturday and I'm not happy with the disc printing. Discs have staright lines across the printable side after printing. To me it looks like its caused by the rollers. I never had this problem before with Epson RX685. I'm using waterproof printable discs.
Anyone else having the same problem?

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
The master at CD DVD printing is now the Epson Artisan 700/800/710/810. No others compare to the ease and simplicity.
If that is the primary function of the printer, your search has now ended.

Leonardjohn

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
To many to list
I agree with Mikling the Artisan rules!

Great dvd and cd printing.

LJH

ViciousXUSMC

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
I have the same problem as strobemonkey with the IP4700. I have faint vertical lines across my disks that you cant see except when the light hits my disks in a certain way, its more visible on dark colors and black than bright colors and white.

I had no clue what could be causing the issue, after printing a handful of disks seeing how it was always 100% vertical to my design I realized it was almost definitely the rollers inside the printer. I did roller cleaning and inspected my cd tray to make sure the disk is sitting all the way down. Everything seems normal. This is a brand new printer and I have no idea why it would have a flaw like this.

Things to note:

I am also using the waterproof disks like strobemonkey not sure if that has anything to do with it. (JVC Watershield)

I have a North American model of the printer with the CD printing disabled by default, I had to remove the plastic guard in the front and flash the firmware to a foreign model.

I am looking for any assistance possible if you guys know how to resolve the problem or have ideas to help, getting a new printer is not an option it took me a long long time to finally give in and buy this one :D

mrelmo

Print Addict
Reaction score
try printing on a disc that is not a watershield i believe that the watershield's coating is just thick enough to cause the lines, if you use a non-watershield disc just give it a couple like sprays of a cheap hair spray and that will seal the disc so they don't smear or bleed

ViciousXUSMC

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Ok will try when I run out of disks, I did so much reading on disks before making my purchase. It was hard to choke down the high cost of the watershield disks but all my reading lead me to believe they were the best to get for both quality and durability.

Guess ill just get some Verbatim Plain Whites next batch.

Found that recomended printer the 710 for $99.00 @ Best Buy kinda makes me feel bad about the IP4700 purchase, I got it for $60.00 but had to pay $35.00 for the tray on e-bay while the 710 has the integrated tray :/

I think... the IP4700 has cheaper ink though so that is a plus. But the 710 is also a scanner & copy too wow! (but I though dedicated printers were supposed to perform better than all in ones guess I was wrong?)

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Unless things have changed.... Canon printers sold in the USA do not come ready for CD printing. If the model is internally capable for CD printing, you will need to hack the firmware, hack the hardware, and still obtain a CD Tray. Models capable and instructions for setting up can be found at http://pixma.ulmb.com/

AFAIK, Epsons and HP's come ready to print on CD's right out of the box.

BTW... Are you ViciousX USMC or Vicious XUSMC?

strobemonkey

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I've given up on the ip4700 and replaced it with epson P50 which prints discs without problem.