ink pad replacement

mrelmo

Print Addict
Reaction score
i have not had the need to replace an ink pad yet, however i forsee it happening in the near futrure, has anyone considered possibly using a dremel tool with a cutoff wheel and maybe just cutting the bottom all the way around maybe 1/2 inch up. then seperate the bottom from the printer and putting a new pad in, once the machine is out of warranty what is there to lose, if i find a printer at a garage sale i my try this, as disassembling from the top down seems a little difficult. hmmmm any thoughts

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
mrelmo, it's not that simple. As you saw from the above link provided by ghwellsjr, the ink pads are multy layered and in areas you probably would not be able to simply cut out a hatch from the bottom and access. The truth is that the printer manufacturers do not really want to make it too easy for a handy with tools, user to be able to get int there and replace them. They want you to buy a new printer.

The only AIO printer I've come accross that practicaly makes it simple to replace ink pads is the Epson Artisan series. They simply have a metal hatch underneath on the right side of the printer. One screw, you remove the hatch, it sort of hinges open and out, the complete pad is in that removable compartment. After replacement, you reset the ink counter with the Epson waste pad/ink reset tool from Epson.

I wish small Canon multy use printers had that feature. I have recently rediscovered Canon printers and I am begining to really love them.

I agree that they should include a small user replacable waste ink tank or compartment, but I seriously doubt they will be so generous to the end user.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
mrelmo if i find a printer at a garage sale i my try this, as disassembling from the top down seems a little difficult. hmmmm any thoughts
I dont know if it will work but sounds very interesting and if youre willing to try then why not give it a go.
I know the pads are tucked right into the bottom but they can still come out from the bottom.
The printer case will end up only be a few millimetres shorter and with a bit of glue be none the worse for it..:)

emerald

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
mrelmo: The degree of difficulty of cleaning the waste ink pads depends on the Canon model number. If you're dealing with an all-in-one printer as described above in the above post #2 by ghwellsjr, you're entering a fairly complicated endeavor. If, however, you're dealing with a printer with no scanner or fax, it can be done by a patient technician willing to follow instructions. Let us know your Canon model number and we can take it from there. There's a lot of experienced forum members willing and ready to help.

I would not cut into the printer base regardless of the model number.

PeterStalder

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
You can find video on youtube how to replace waste pads. It is very easy to understand