HP78 replacement, priming problem

khblue

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi,

I've had a CISS running for a year or more on an HP1220c and the quality of print has gradually reduced so I decided to replace the cartridges with new OEM ones (integral print head) and reconnect the system. (originally bought the CIS System off ebay, no idea of brand)

Black cartridge worked fine.

Colour is a problem though. I drilled out holes in the identical places on the front of the cartridge and put in the silicon rubber collars.

But, even if I fill the tubes all the way up to the cartridge using a syringe to create positive pressure from the reservoir, then connect them up to the cartridge, the ink runs all the way back down to the reservoir. This happens for all 3 colours.

I've tried filing the tubes, then connecting the tubes to the cartridge, with the pipe clamps in place, then sucking out 7 ml of ink from the bottom of the cartridge, using the priming tool, then releasing the clamps; but the ink still runs all the way back.

The reservoirs are at the same level they have always been. I tried raising them a couple of inches and all the black ink ran out the cartridge, so that's not the solution !

I'm confused please would someone help me !

Thanks

RMM

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Seems like you don't have a good seal at the print head.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
The problem is that the black cartridge is using a bag and the colour HP78 a sponge system. These two cartridges need different pressures. Therefore you will need to detach the black external bottle from the colour bottles and put it lower.

khblue

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Yeuch! They are all in a block, rather than bottles.

I guess I could drill holes in bottle tops and go that route.
Where would I buy the tubing and elbows if I went the way of making my own system ?

Strange that the cartridge that came with it was fine though, maybe they removed the sponges to create an easier flow ?

khblue

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
If I decide to replace the lot then what site do you suggest? (UK please)

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
khblue
The answer is a straight forward one, dump the CISS and go the refilling route.
Its better cheaper and so much easier to control; CISS can be a pain in the butt.. :|

kgvickers

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Don't know if the OP is still monitoring this thread -

The HP 78 cartridge has an air-bleed on each of the three colors. I've not looked at one in a while so this is from memory - from what I can recall, there's a hole on the top of each color section and this hole appears to be filled in with a little plug. These plugs actually have groves on them that allow air to enter the cartridge as the ink is depleted from printing. You'll need to plug those holes completely. I'd use airplane glue or silicon.

Keith