How do people refill the canon cli-225 & cli-226 ink cartridges?

l_d_allan

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Tin Ho said:
You can use OEM CLI-221 which has transparent shell. But you will need to transplant the chip from the CLI-226 and mount it on the CLI-221. I have not done it to prove that this will work. But there seems to be people doing that.
I guess I'm being even more slow than usual, but I don't see how this works. I'm ignorant about CLI-221 and CLI-226 based printers. Also, I realize that Tin Ho isn't advocating this chip transplanting, but passing on information.

* Assumption #1: People are refilling CLI-221 carts with a 221 resetter (220's and 225's ignored in this post).
* Assumption #2: CLI-226 carts can't yet be refilled satisfactorily by hobby'ists because the 226 resetter isn't yet available.
* Assumption #3: A 221 resetter won't reset a 226 cart.
* Assumption #4: A 221 cart can't be used in a 226-based printer.

** If a 226 chip is put on a 221 cart, then will a 221 resetter work on the transplanted 226 chip?

** Does putting a 226 chip on a 221 cart make the chip suddenly think it is now a 221 chip? Seems like this has to be the case for a 221 resetter to work on a 226 chip, but that certainly isn't my understanding of how chips work.

** For that to happen, would a 221 resetter work on an unmodified 226 cart with 226 chip intact? If so, why do you need a 226 resetter, which I thought doesn't yet exist?

** I can imagine it being a "hold your nose feasible work-around" to swap a 221 chip onto a 226 cart, and then resetting with a 221 resetter. But you've still got the problem of refilling an opaque 226 cart.

** Plus it seems like you'd have a double inventory of carts ... a 221 or 226 "donor" for the 226 or 221 "recipient". The "donor" cart wouldn't have any chip mounted on it, and is useless at least until the 226 resetter shows up.

** Or am I completely unclear on the concept? Is one or more of the above assumptions off, such as #3 or #4? Am I adding 2 + 2 and getting 3?

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Your assumptions are all correct. The problem that is being solved is to overcome the opaque 226 cartridge so that you can see the level of ink so you know when to refill and how much ink you're putting in it.

By transplanting the 226 chip to a 221 cartridge, you can make a cartridge with a transparent window that will work in the 226 printer but since there is no resetter available, you have to tell the printer that you are willing to void the warranty and you have to visually keep track of the ink levels to know when to refill again. If you don't swap the chips, it is very difficult, if not impossible to know when to refill, not to mention, when to stop injecting ink into the cartridge.

Even when a restter becomes available, you will still want to use the 221 cartridges with transplanted chips, just so that you can tell when you have refilled the cartridges.

The downside is that unless you can find some cheap empty 221 cartridges, you will have to pay a lot for new ones.

l_d_allan

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
ghwellsjr said:
you can make a cartridge with a transparent window that will work in the 226 printer but since there is no resetter available, you have to tell the printer that you are willing to void the warranty and you have to visually keep track of the ink levels to know when to refill again.
So when the printer complains about the ink being Empty, you either over-ride it each and every print, or somehow permanently over-ride it and basically say to the printer ... "Mind your own business ... stop bothering me ... warranties are for wimps"

And on the significantly smaller cart (9ml vs 13ml for CLI-8), you then put up with visually checking ink levels often, as ink levels don't run out consistently. Or worse, you treat it like a C41 multi-color cart and replace most or all carts when one gets low?

And of course, opening the printer cover to visually check ink levels initiates unnecessary cleaning cycles, doesn't it?

And the pictures I've seen of CLI-221 is that the clear window doesn't necessarily go clear to the bottom of the reservoir? Even if it does, an implication would seem you are treating carts as Low sooner than necessary.

Or just keep printing until evidence shows up for ink starvation and get used to buying new print-heads outside of warranty?

The problem that is being solved is to overcome the opaque 226 cartridge
To me, the way to solve that problem is to not purchase CLI-226 based printers.

whitewallpaul

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
It seems in recent cli 221 production runs, canon has switched to opaque cartridges exactly the same as CLI 226 with a different chip and label. Avoiding the 226 and opting for 221 based printer would be ok until the supply of older clear 221 cartridges is exhausted.

The switch to opaque 221 carts has been mentioned by other members and i did confirm with one dealer who indicated his recent stock is indeed opaque and no longer has clear reservoir sides for inspecting ink levels.

Two birds, one stone- reduce production cost, discourage refilling

Paul

northbeach

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I suppose one can use non OEM replacement cartridges available without chips. These fill from the top as far as I know.

Also, I have seen non OEM refilled 225 and 226 cartridges with chip for sale. I believe they are clear. I do not know if they can be refilled. No chip resetter is available. One supplier sells them for around $8.00 for the smaller size.

whitewallpaul

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
That leads to an interesting conversation....

Check the forum for info on aftermarket carts

Paul

l_d_allan

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
ghwellsjr said:
Your assumptions are all correct.
Whew. Thanks for the clarification.

I started refilling late last year, and CLI-8 resetters had been available for some time. My impression is that "back in the bad old days", CLI-8 resetters weren't available. Back then, the situation was more or less similar to what CLI-226 based printer owners face now:
"Canon: If you want to save money refilling, you need to monitor your own ink levels."
Ugh.

The problem that is being solved is ...
In my previous rant, it may have been unclear that I am pretty sure ghwellsjr (like Tin Ho) is NOT advocating the chip transplant.

My frustration was intended to be directed at Canon, and also those advocating the chip transplant. The posts I've read seem to imply "it's no big deal", with little or no mention of the negative implications.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
l_d_allan said:
In my previous rant, it may have been unclear that I am pretty sure ghwellsjr (like Tin Ho) is NOT advocating the chip transplant.
I think Tin Ho was advocating a chip transplant and so was I. I don't see any way around it without a resetter to let you know when the cartridge needs refilling. And even with a resetter, it sure is nice to be able to see how much ink you're putting in the reservoir.

But my first choice would be to not buy a printer that uses opaque cartridges that has no resetter available.

whitewallpaul

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hey ghwells,

I went to Damien high school in La Verne--

I had a question for anyone familiar with the German method- are the cartridges built in such a way that you can accurately designate a spot by which the needle would be able to make clean pass into the reservoir? Is the sweet spot the same every time?

thanks

Paul

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
whitewallpaul said:
are the cartridges built in such a way that you can accurately designate a spot by which the needle would be able to make clean pass into the reservoir? Is the sweet spot the same every time?
The opening between the chambers is small and rectangular. The opening is slightly above the floor, so you will probably have to raise the needle off the floor a millimeter or so.