How do people refill the canon cli-225 & cli-226 ink cartridges?

Rotk

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hello

A few hours ago I bought a set of w/o chip tranparent cli-226 refillable ink cartridges from ebay, after I tried to search for a chip resetter ppl say they're not out yet.

Now I'm kinda confused, by any chance does anyone know a way we can still use refillable ink.

Many thanks in advance.

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
I would not use those compatible cartridges. They are more likely to give you more troubles than refilling with the original. No Epson ink cartridges has transparent shell. People have refilled them for years. You can do the same with Canon CLI-226s.

Rotk

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thank for the heads up Tin, now I kinda understand why I see vendors rarely sell them, at least they were pretty hard to find.

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
You're welcome. You can use OEM CLI-221 which has transparent shell. But you will need to transplant the chip from the CLI-226 and mount it on the CLI-221. I have not done it to prove that this will work. But there seems to be people doing that.

whitewallpaul

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hey hows it going-

I just removed part of the label tape on the Yellow 226 cartridge topside to reveal a clear view into the ink tank. I then shined a flashlight on the bottom side up through the tank and have a transparent view of the ink. It would certainly be enough to identify the profile of the needle entering the tank to refill German method.

I'm stumbling around trying to figure the best method for refilling this printer I just got. I haven't confirmed that this will work for all colors in the printer but it looks to me like you could stick with your originals and skip all the chip swapping or aftermarket nonsense. You just need a light source under the cartridge during the process.

Paul

update:

just checked black 226 cartridge with same method-- you would need a pretty strong light to cut through. I couldn't see anything with a pensize led streamlight so not sure how feasible this would be as a solution. Would work fine with yellow and maybe the other colors, but not sure about black.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
whitewallpaul
Forget it Paul, after all youre hard work the cartridge would be useless and leak like mad.
The label on top of the cartridge serves a very good purpose and is not there just for identification.

If you want to refill your cartridges then get a set of 220s with the little clear window in the side,
change the chip from your now empty 226s onto these and your problem is solved.

Changing the chip is easier than pulling the cartridge label off and wont damage the chip if done carefully.
Do a quick search on the refilling of the 226s because there is a load of information that would help you decide..

whitewallpaul

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up on label function- i figured they made it extra difficult to conceal a solution, not to keep from leaking.

Time for some jb weld...

I was leaning towards cli 221 as solution but found some reports of opaque cartridges in recent production runs- makes sense seeing as the construction is identical to 226 less the chip.

In either case ive sourced a 221 set with clear windows and plan to run that route

Glad i got word before i made a huge mess!

What do you guys suggest for sourcing the aftermarket grey ink? Most kits and ads list only the cyan magenta yellow and black- will i have any issue with grey?

Paul

whitewallpaul

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks for the lead- much appreciated

One last question, I read a few threads on flushing

when refilling OEM cartridge (recently emptied but still saturated with original Canon ink) with compatible aftermarket ink, should there be any concerns other than a slight color variation if I forgo the flushing process?

I know inks not the same as paint, but seeing that paint can be very incompatible between brands, ingredients, etc. I figured I'd double check.

I'm not super concerned with an exact color match at this point and the difference in color would correlate to the gradual process of ink equilibrium over the course of several refills.

Does that sound right?

thanks again for the info

Paul

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
whitewallpaul when refilling OEM cartridge (recently emptied but still saturated with original Canon ink) with compatible aftermarket ink, should there be any concerns other than a slight color variation if I forgo the flushing process?
No Paul youre good to go, there is no need to flush out the OEM ink before refilling the cartridge.
Not unless youre a perfectionist and need perfect colours right away..:)