How do people refill the canon cli-225 & cli-226 ink cartridges?

l_d_allan

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
ghwellsjr said:
But my first choice would be to not buy a printer that uses opaque cartridges that has no resetter available.
Sorry ... it really wasn't my place to put words in your mouth.

And not meaning to be argumentative ...

So we can agree to disagree on the merits of chip transplants? I've never been in the position of having to self-monitor ink levels, so maybe it isn't as bad as my uninformed speculation.

But do we agree to agree that for most forum members, chip transplanting is probably a:
* hold-your-nose
* necessary evil
* work-around

if you are in the unfortunate situation of having to refill a CLI-226 based printer?

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
whitewallpaul said:
Hey ghwells,

I went to Damien high school in La Verne--

I had a question for anyone familiar with the German method- are the cartridges built in such a way that you can accurately designate a spot by which the needle would be able to make clean pass into the reservoir? Is the sweet spot the same every time?

thanks

Paul
What years were you at Damien? My wife was a substitute teacher and our son was student there about twenty years ago.

I have only refilled BCI-6 and CLI-8 cartridges via the German method and although I sometimes have trouble getting the needle into the reservoir, it has never been too difficult. I just rotate the needle/syringe and/or gently "bend" the needle up and down to aim it over the lip. I use 18 gauge needles to do this, it might be risky with 20 gauge.

l_d_allan

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
northbeach said:
I suppose one can use non OEM replacement cartridges available without chips.
Probably not .. the printer is going to insist on detecting a reset chip if you want ink level monitoring.

Also, I have seen non OEM refilled 225 and 226 cartridges with chip for sale. I believe they are clear. I do not know if they can be refilled. No chip resetter is available. One supplier sells them for around $8.00 for the smaller size.
I'm only just now starting to appreciate the internal complexity of the oem carts. See an older thread about "Cart Anatomy" and followups on print-head internals. Amazing. I would never, never, NEVER use a non-oem cart. Virgin empties are available at low cost Then you don't have to ever, ever, EVER use a non oem-cart.

northbeach

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
l_d_allan said:
northbeach said:
I suppose one can use non OEM replacement cartridges available without chips.
Probably not .. the printer is going to insist on detecting a reset chip if you want ink level monitoring.

Also, I have seen non OEM refilled 225 and 226 cartridges with chip for sale. I believe they are clear. I do not know if they can be refilled. No chip resetter is available. One supplier sells them for around $8.00 for the smaller size.
I'm only just now starting to appreciate the internal complexity of the oem carts. See an older thread about "Cart Anatomy" and followups on print-head internals. Amazing. I would never, never, NEVER use a non-oem cart. Virgin empties are available at low cost Then you don't have to ever, ever, EVER use a non oem-cart.
Can someone give me the direct url (s) that discuss the negatives regarding non-oem carts. Are there no non-oems that are good?

FRUSTRATED PRINTER GUY

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
whitewallpaul said:
are the cartridges built in such a way that you can accurately designate a spot by which the needle would be able to make clean pass into the reservoir? Is the sweet spot the same every time?

thanks

Paul
I was actually wondering the same thing. I am getting all my ducks in a row to refill opaque 225 and 226's.

Continuing my search for information :cool:

FRUSTRATED PRINTER GUY

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
ThrillaMozilla said:
whitewallpaul said:
are the cartridges built in such a way that you can accurately designate a spot by which the needle would be able to make clean pass into the reservoir? Is the sweet spot the same every time?
The opening between the chambers is small and rectangular. The opening is slightly above the floor, so you will probably have to raise the needle off the floor a millimeter or so.
Roger that. Thank you.

whitewallpaul

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
ghwellsjr said:
whitewallpaul said:
Hey ghwells,

I went to Damien high school in La Verne--

I had a question for anyone familiar with the German method- are the cartridges built in such a way that you can accurately designate a spot by which the needle would be able to make clean pass into the reservoir? Is the sweet spot the same every time?

thanks

Paul
What years were you at Damien? My wife was a substitute teacher and our son was student there about twenty years ago.

I have only refilled BCI-6 and CLI-8 cartridges via the German method and although I sometimes have trouble getting the needle into the reservoir, it has never been too difficult. I just rotate the needle/syringe and/or gently "bend" the needle up and down to aim it over the lip. I use 18 gauge needles to do this, it might be risky with 20 gauge.
I graduated in 98--

Father Travers and Father Cronin were both still going strong

Paul