Have you ever tried to report a landline fault in the UK?

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
Don't UK residents have a formal government body to lodge complaints with for regulated utilities. We do here in the States (all land-lines are regulated).

Yes, we do, it is called Offcom, (Office of Communications, I imagine). It keeps on making statements of it intentions to toughen up!

What we really need is a system that the water supply industry has, where they actually pay householders penalty fees (£50 on one occasion) if you are deprived of water without warning. I could hardly believe it when it happened to me.

Incidentally the internet access disappeared as well last night, but has returned this morning, but for how long.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I have reviewed internet comments on the subject and the number of disgruntled users on all the various service suppliers is very large, the sector clearly is in trouble and needs a major intervention.
‘Emulator is right the system has gone to hell. :barnie

All of the broadband suppliers in the UK are in a price war (Free fall) and the customers are left in a mine field, move and you lose your wallet, move another way and you step on legalities and kerfuffle (Double talk) stay where you are still gets you nothing ( Lousy Service).:idunno

It’s what’s called free enterprise, but it isn’t a free it’s pure frustrating, when it was government controlled things ran a lot smoother, now it’s just a turkey shoot.
:bow Sorry Emu I didn’t mean to get you mixed up with a turkey …
Emu.png

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Hi Emulator

I guess your phone/internet installation is ADSL? Could the ADSL modem and/or a possible phone/data separation filter or maybe the telephone itself have become defective? This could explain why measurements indicate that the line is OK.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Sounds like your phone system is regulated by the same chaps that used to oversee quality control of the British dental profession.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Sounds like your phone system is regulated by the same chaps that used to oversee quality control of the British dental profession.
I know I shouldn’t ask especially when its @stratman that’s on line :eek: but what has the snake oil dentist got to do with the phone lines.. :idunno

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
Yes, we do, it is called Offcom, (Office of Communications, I imagine). It keeps on making statements of it intentions to toughen up!

What we really need is a system that the water supply industry has, where they actually pay householders penalty fees (£50 on one occasion) if you are deprived of water without warning. I could hardly believe it when it happened to me.

Incidentally the internet access disappeared as well last night, but has returned this morning, but for how long.
Then make your intentions clearly known in writing to both "OFFCOM" and your "provider" (make sure BOTH get the same message and it is clearly addressed to BOTH parties) to withhold payment until they provide what you pay for.

That said, there is a grace period for service interruptions in the States (something like 48 hours) before they are required to make refunds).

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Did you not read your own post @The Hat? Even you write of serious issues in the context of "free enterprise". Emu wants government to do more than pronounce intention to do something. That is a regulatory issue, or at least appears to be one based on the posts presented.

I think you hit the head of a nail when you wrote "what has the snake oil dentist got to do with the phone lines". Poor regulation of both industries, or at least according to the old jokes about dentistry in merry old England, which may have had more to do with people not going to the dentist rather than bad dentists. (?)

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
I must admit, I was puzzled by the reference to dentists. They don't feature much in our daily news topics or jokes at the present time. Come to think about it, there aren't many jokes at all.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I must admit, I was puzzled by the reference to dentists. They don't feature much in our daily news topics or jokes at the present time. Come to think about it, there aren't many jokes at all.
Have you not seen any Austin Powers movie? His teeth were a running gag.

Mike-Myers-Austin-Powers-1-.jpg

There used to be a lot of jokes about my city's river catching on fire. Don't hear those much anymore. Time moves on and comedy finds a new victim.

You must be a young one. Us older folks remember back to the days before computers when jokes about Brit teeth were a staple. At least if our memory is still intact.

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880

ahem... after all you asked

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/7633254.stm

from the good old BBC. Would they lie to you?

Roy S.
Who's dentist purchases a new BMW after my visits.