German refillers: do you use sharp or blunt needle?

l_d_allan

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
I haven't tried the German refilling method, but am considering it.

My impression is that after making a hole in the bottom on the sponge side, you slide a 2" needle through the sponge side to reach the reservoir side.

I would think the first time would require a sharp needle, and perhaps subsequent refillings. Do German refillers on this forum use sharp or blunt needles? Would a blunt needle tend to snag sponge material? If you get the hole positioned right at the bottom, can a blunt needle be used? But does that set up a "channel" for ink to possibly leak out.

One think I like about top filling is that you can use a blunt needle into the reservoir through the inlet port. I haven't stuck myself with a sharp needle ... yet ... but figure it would only be a matter of time.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
If you use Canon OEM cartridges and put the hole just above the bottom of the cartridge, a blunt needle will slide right underneath the sponge. The only problem I have ever had is getting it the last bit into the reservoir. It seems there may be a lip that snags the end of the needle. Usually, I can bend then needle down towards the bottom of the cartridge which will cause the end of the needle to rise up and overcome the lip.

I believe you are correct that the needle can open up a "channel" for air to leak in and ink to leak out. That is one reason why I recommend sealing the refill hole with a good sticky tape like gorilla tape.

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
I didn't realize the Canon cartridges also have that lip. It seems to me, some people use a sharp needle and angle down through the sponge. Then if the needle hits the wall, it will tend to slip down along the wall into the hole. You need a sharp needle, at least the first time, to make the hole through the sponge, but it doesn't necessarily have to be a hypodermic needle.

The other method is to push the needle horizontally under the sponge. Then when you hit the lip, you have to somehow get the tip of the needle up about 1 mm to get it through the hole. It seems to me that either a blunt or sharp needle would work.

One thing about a sharp needle: you can always convert it into a blunt needle.

RMM

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
I've always used a blunt needle.

I do usually seal the hole with 3M electrical tape.

jimbo123

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
MP830 MP980
before first refill, i use a sharp needle to push a pilot hole into sponge.

followed by a blunt needle attached to my squeeze bottle to refill.

J

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Printers: Canon MP830, IP4500, MX700, MX860, MP980
Method: German Durchstich Method
Ink: Hobbicolors ink, PMT-BK, UW8
Misc: Squeeze bottles - so much easier than syringes

jimbo123

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
MP830 MP980
GH, yes strictly 100% canon carts here.

if you haven't tried squeeze bottles yet, give them a shot. i use the 4oz bottles, works great, saves time.

J

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Jimbo, I don't understand why you need a sharp needle. If you make the German refill hole close to the bottom of the cartridge, you can slide the needle right along the bottom of the sponge. Are you making the hole higher up?

jimbo123

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
MP830 MP980
good idea and good timing. i have a new PGI5 that i need to set up for filling.

will try to get a hole as close to the bottom and then go in with just a blunt needle.

J

barfl2

Print Addict
Reaction score
There are a different ways to make the all important refill hole. Most of which seem a bit hit and miss to enable the needle either blunt or sharp to arrive straight through the middle running along the bottom so you can see it (BC/CL carts). I have measured a EOM cart and it is .0.435 across bottom nominally 7/16" and 0.487 at the top. wall thickness appears 0.062.5 nominally 1/16". It should not be too difficult to make a drilling jig to put say a 1 - 1.5mm drill 7/32" from one edge and 1/16" from the bottom edge. It is only a
an idea but I will try and make one and see how it goes.

barfl2