German Durchstich refill method for Canon carts with pictures

pebe

Printer Guru
Reaction score
binkie said:
My problem is that I am not able to fill the ink chamber more than half before ink starts to come out of the vent maze, the ink outlet, and the hole I drilled by the ink outlet. Pressure seems to build up when ink is injected into the ink chamber. How do I get the ink chamber full so that the ink monitoring will be accurate when I reset the chip?

Binkie
It sounds like your needle is not long enough to reach well inside the tank. Mine butts up to the prism. As the ink goes into the tank so only air should flow back through the annular gap round the needle. If you have ink coming out of the port you must be injecting into the foam.

binkie

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
pebe said:
binkie said:
My problem is that I am not able to fill the ink chamber more than half before ink starts to come out of the vent maze, the ink outlet, and the hole I drilled by the ink outlet. Pressure seems to build up when ink is injected into the ink chamber. How do I get the ink chamber full so that the ink monitoring will be accurate when I reset the chip?

Binkie
It sounds like your needle is not long enough to reach well inside the tank. Mine butts up to the prism. As the ink goes into the tank so only air should flow back through the annular gap round the needle. If you have ink coming out of the port you must be injecting into the foam.
The needle is hitting the prism. The problem is, so is the foam. There may not be an angular gap around the needle for the air to flow through.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Binkie,

I think the best thing to do is the following: put your mouth -yes indeed- above the ventilation opening above the sponge area and blow the ink as much as possible out of the cartridge. Since you are using the German Durchstichmethod you have to put your finger tightly on the refill hole to preven the ink will spurt out (if you don't want have a small stain on your finger you can use small piece of rubber pressing against this hole).

After all the ink has been blown away you refill the cartridge again with the refill method, this time you fill the ink chamber as full as possible BUT without forcing ink into the sponge, so do this upside down with the ink outlet facing up. Turn the cartridge back (ink outlet facing down) and let the ink penetrate into the sponge by itself. After a few minutes turn the cartridge back again and now fill the chamber very slowly until completely full.

The problem with foaming should now be eliminated.

binkie

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
pharmacist said:
Binkie,

I think the best thing to do is the following: put your mouth -yes indeed- above the ventilation opening above the sponge area and blow the ink as much as possible out of the cartridge. Since you are using the German Durchstichmethod you have to put your finger tightly on the refill hole to preven the ink will spurt out (if you don't want have a small stain on your finger you can use small piece of rubber pressing against this hole).

After all the ink has been blown away you refill the cartridge again with the refill method, this time you fill the ink chamber as full as possible BUT without forcing ink into the sponge, so do this upside down with the ink outlet facing up. Turn the cartridge back (ink outlet facing down) and let the ink penetrate into the sponge by itself. After a few minutes turn the cartridge back again and now fill the chamber very slowly until completely full.

The problem with foaming should now be eliminated.
Pharmacist,

Sorry, I seem to have had a senior moment. I typed "foam" instead of "sponge". The problem is that some of the sponge has been pushed into the ink chamber by the needle. It appears as if the needle is partially injecting ink into the sponge which has been pushed into the ink chamber, in addition to injecting some ink into the ink chamber. Rather than the ink chamber getting filled, ink is being force out of the outlet hole and top breathing maze. I can't seem to get the ink chamber to fill much past the half mark. It seems to be some sort of back pressure.

Binkie

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Binkie,

The working method is the same. Foam or sponge. Just blow away until the cartridge is almost completely empty and refill again.

binkie

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
pharmacist said:
Binkie,

The working method is the same. Foam or sponge. Just blow away until the cartridge is almost completely empty and refill again.
Pharmacist,

Thanks for your patience and input. It is appreciated!

I let the cartridge sit overnight. This morning I again inserted the needle, this time taking care to carefully spin the needle as I slowly pushed in through the sponge and into the ink chamber. I moved the needle in and out about a half inch and was able to work some of the sponge back inside the sponge chamber. This allowed the tip of the needle to be inside the ink chamber without touching the sponge, even though some of the sponge was still sticking into the ink chamber. I was then able to slowly fill the remainder of the ink chamber and now have a full working cartridge.

I will file your suggestion, should I need it in the future.

Binkie

Lamba

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
When pushing the needle in, is it suppose to cut through the sponge or go under it?

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
The best way is to go under the sponge, but it not harmful if you are piercing through the sponge substance.

jackson

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I reset my first cartridge today (5BK) on an iP4300 and also refilled using the German injection method.
Practiced on a virgin Hobbicolors cart with the needle and found that resistance from the foam insert required a lot of force to get to the ink chamber;the Canon cart was, in contrast, simple to penetrate:aim the needle and go.
I started the hole with a 1/16th drill and finished with a pin.
Another point I noticed (using the black ink) was that the ink coating the inner wall made it hard to see if the chamber was in fact full.
I put in the full 12cc's from the syringe and hoped for the best.
No leak and the nozzle check was good.
Seeing that Canon are coming out with new carts to stymie the peasants made me glad I stocked up on a spare ip4300 and two ip4500's:at least I can thumb my nose at them for a while.

Gompy

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
jackson said:
Another point I noticed (using the black ink) was that the ink coating the inner wall made it hard to see if the chamber was in fact full.
I put in the full 12cc's from the syringe and hoped for the best.
No leak and the nozzle check was good.
Hi Jackson,

Best way to refill the black ink carts, especially the PGI-5BK , is to put a light behind the carts when you're going to refill them...

Regards, Gompy