G3501 CANON Pixma - Seserve mode failure...

got2boll

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma G3501
Hello,
I had en error 0b00 on my printer PIXMA G3000 CANON.
As the procedure I found stated, I put it on "service mode". Then, by mistake of course, I clicked on the power button.
Since this momment, no way to get the printer turned on. any action on different button has no effect, the device remains turned off.
I tried to find information about such problem, but no way to find anything. I actually don't know what to search for, as it always drive to 'service mode' procedure....
Any clu please to help ?
Thank you all,
Gauthier

James Mike

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG6270;G3010
You can try leaving the printer unplugged for about 30min to a day and see if it will boot up after that as it could be that it is still stuck in service mode frozen.If it does boot into normal mode you can retry entering service mode. if it doesn't go into service mode or freezes when trying to enter service mode your printer may have been locked out and need to have its eeprom reprogrammed.

got2boll

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma G3501
Thank you very much James, it went right with a 30 minutes unplugging. it's now back to life (L.E.D on), even if I did not succeed to reset the counter. I will try again tonight. I got an error code 006 !

got2boll

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma G3501
shame on me, such test was obvious ;)

James Mike

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG6270;G3010
shame on me, such test was obvious ;)
Don't be, been there once and can relate to the feeling of panic/dread of the possibility of killing the printer outright especially if a quick unplug/plug of the device elicits the same behavior.

If you are using a PC to reset the waste counter do double check that the software you are using is new enough for your printer other the printer may lock out you out from service mode

If your using the onboard service mode then the G4000's Service Manual may be a good reference (seems similar to the G3010 atleast eeprom print command is the same).

Another thing to note is that replacing only the waste pads(for the 5b00 error) that is accessible via the rear hatch(partial replacement) is only rated for 11000 instead of 15000 pages (same with the G3000 service manual) that a full waste ink counter reset is supposedly rated at. Official instructions say to set the ink counter to 30% when not replacing fully(which involves tearing the printer apart) to avoid waste ink spillage.

1696608083791.png

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I thought the push button service mode operations for newer Canon printers were just not true, but the clip from the G4000 service manual shows an instruction. I thought that no Canon service manuals newer than circa 2010 were available on the web, but searching for the G4000 manual I found this download that does not need a subscription. I also found a download for a service manual covering the G1000-G2000-G3000 model printers here. Both manuals are from 2017. I found no downloads for a service manual for the G3501 model, but maybe it is considered a model G3000 series?

These service manuals are worth reading as they contain some mechanical and disassembly info. They also mention the proper service tool for the G1000-G2000-G3000 series models is at least V4718 and for the G4000 models it is V4904. The G4000 manual also has more about the push button method or built-in service tool. The normal service tool offers more options, but for a reset the built-in service tool is sufficient and you don't risk losing access to service mode by using a too old service tool (too low version number).

There might be another reset method that does not need a service tool, the WIC Reset. You can download the tool for free and you can get some info for free and find out if it works with your printer. For doing a reset you will have to buy a key at around 10 USD. More about the WIC Reset and Canon printers here. For Mac users there is an iWIC version of the tool available.

Here is a YouTube video showing entering service mode and using the push button way of reset. It is claimed the method works for G1000, G2000, G3000 and G4000 models. I don't know if a G3501 is considered a model G3000 series so the method also works for that printer? But maybe the use of a wrong procedure can lock access to service mode in the same way as the use of a too old service tool can do?

Thank you very much to @James Mike . I learned something new and found two more service manuals.

Last edited:

James Mike

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG6270;G3010
I thought the push button service mode operations for newer Canon printers were just not true, but the clip from the G4000 service manual shows an instruction. I thought that no Canon service manuals newer than circa 2010 were available on the web, but searching for the G4000 manual I found this download that does not need a subscription. I also found a download for a service manual covering the G1000-G2000-G3000 model printers here. Both manuals are from 2017. I found no downloads for a service manual for the G3501 model, but maybe it is considered a model G3000 series?
Im surprised as well with the existence of the service manuals, The G3501 looks identical to the g3000 so that could be the case. Too old of a firmware may be the cause of the missing push button service mode (if the printer wasn't locked out) the G4000 SM mentions it being introduced in v1.030 while the G3000 SM seems to have been made with only the older v3.010 firmware available (the G2000 in the linked video seems to be running v3.030)

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Here's another video that I did here in case it's of use too:

I'd originally thought it was WICReset or Service Tool only myself but for G1000 to G4000 it seems not. Worth noting that G5000 series and above are a different story though.

Redhugh

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon G4511
Here's another video that I did here in case it's of use too:

I'd originally thought it was WICReset or Service Tool only myself but for G1000 to G4000 it seems not. Worth noting that G5000 series and above are a different story though.
Hi I get to the point after pressing the stop key 6 times & the power light stays green but it won't do anything after this..
I press the stop key 3 times but it doesn't switch between green & yellow lights.
Is there anything else I can do?
Any help greatly appreciated.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
It is not clear to me if the printer entered service mode. Did the yellow and green lights alternate while pressing the stop key 6 times and did the display go black? If they did then then the reason that push button service mode operations doesn't work could be that the printer's firmware is too old. According to the service manual it must be v1.030 or later. You will then have to use a service tool which must be version 4.904 or later.

I don't have a G4511 printer but the firmware version is probably printed below the nozzle check together with the number of printed pages.

If the green and yellow lights didn't alternate while pressing the stop key 6 times and the display didn't go black the printer has not entered service mode. Watch the video carefully and notice that you first press and hold the power button, While holding the power button press and release the stop button 6 times, then as the last thing release the power button. The green light should now start flashing and the printer does some upstart routines. When the green light is constant the printer is ready for service mode operations.

Watch the video carefully and notice how the buttons are operated. You can reduce the playback speed of the video to half to make it easier to see the procedure. The speech will still be understandable.

BTW the service manual says to press the stop button 5 times to enter service mode and 6 times without scanner ( I don't know if that means service mode can be entered if the scanner is defective or removed from the printer?) If 6 presses of the stop button doesn't work then try 5 times instead.

The link to the service manual in post #6 still works. You can download the manual even if the preview doesn't work. Both AVG Internet Security and Malwarebytes Antimalware gave the download a clean bill of health. If you haven't done so already I recommend to download the manual.

Last edited: