G&G carts for Canon!!!

Fishin' the Kadmoni

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
No, Neil, you misunderstood. I meant you had edited YOUR posts. Anyway, I found the G&G/Ninestar website so I'll try to contact them through that email address since the one I got from the vendor isn't getting a response. And by the way, I took your advice and ordered a bunch of cartridges from inkgrabber. If THEY leak, then I think I'll give up and start filling cartridges myself, since that would probably result in less mess

neilslade

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Today I received a CASE of ink from Inkgrabber-- they even have the old style labels with color specific for each color cart.

No leaks. No problems, great colors.

Mention my name and you may use this email as well- she assisted me in my case
raylene@ggimageusa.com

rurik

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi,

I have been using Canon Pixma ip 6000d for about 4 months. Thats how long the original Canon 6-inks set (supplied with the printer) lasted me. 3 days ago I had to replace Cyan and Magenta Cartridges. I replaced them with G&G ones.

Heres the problem that I face and can not solve: when the media type is plain paper and the quality is normal, the image prints out good (in terms of colors),

however, when I switch to high quality under Plain paper", the image comes out with too much purple color. I assume theres access of cyan or magenta on the print out. I tried every media type available (gloss photo, matte photo, other photo paper, etc.). I also tried custom quality settings. In every combination the image comes out purplish. Looks like the only time when I get the true colored print is when I use normal quality with plain paper" settings. Switching between different color profiles also did not help.

I run a small business and depend on high quality prints on photo paper. If anybody can suggest anything to help me I will greatly appreciate it.

neilslade

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
First, this sounds dumb, but make sure you've got the right carts in the right place.

Second, I've printed out tens of thousands of excellent prints with all profiles and combinations- no problemo
here's a scan of a print made moments ago, plain paper, high quality, using all G&G colors-- its perfect
http://www.neilslade.com/rachel.jpg This is on plain Xerox paper, printed on my ip3000 with all G&G colors, high setting, plain paper

I do the same on photo paper

Third,
run a purge print such as this http://www.neilslade.com/gifs/TestPrint6Color.jpg

if you see a color not printing, or printing weird-- there's your problem.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Just a thought but I saw something similar in an iP4000 where the user had put in a photo magenta instead of a magenta.. You might want to double check that you're not using the incorrect carts in some of the slots... ie: PM instead of M, M instead of PM, PC instead of C, C instead of PC...

You get the idea...

rurik

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thank you Neilslade, thank you Websnail for posting your suggestions.

I double checked the cartridges theyre installed correctly, I have printed out the colors chart it also looks normal. I did not know what else to think of.

But this morning it showed that my photo-magenta (still original Canon one) is running low. Since I had a new G&G PM, I replaced it. It seemed to solve the problem. Now my prints look great again, under any media type and quality settings.

So I assume there was a mismatch between G&G Magenta and Canon Photo Magenta. Now I have both M and PM by G&G, and it seems to work fine. Interesting.

Thanks again for your help.

neilslade

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Generally I have no problems at all mixing brands, do it all the time. Could simply have been one bad cart, which is not at all uncommon, from any company. Glad your printer is working again!
Neil

kep55

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I found out about this site from Tom's Hardware Forumz and saw this thread as a possible help.
So, I had been printing a number of brochures on Staples brochure paper (Item #610488; 170g/m3; 8 mil) with the printer set at High Resolution paper. I use a Canon i550 printer. The printer just "died" as far as giving good print quality.
I tried to clean the print heads, the portion that comes in contact with the ink cartridge, using isopropyl alcohol. The magenta does not flow at all. The cyan and yellow barely flow and the black splotches along the left edge. I tried printing a page from a basic users manual I am writing for Excel and the colors on the WinXP start menu came out as very pale green and very pale sky blue.
So, was this caused by my being cheap & using G&G ink (from Meritline, who has not responded yet to my lament / complaint) instead of Canon ink? OR did the print head just die after several years ( and several thousand) copies and faithful service?
In either case, is it worth repairing? (I have my doubts.)

neilslade

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Please see my site
http://www.neilslade.com/papers/inkjetstuff.html

And READ EVERYTHING.

Canon printers rarely fail because of mechanical failure or electrontic failure.
The most common problem is cart failure, or a printer head clog.

Neither is lethal.

If I've said this once, I've said it 1000 times.... :) G&G carts are every bit as good color, and clog proof as Canon. How do I know?
I've been using the stuff for years- and I have EIGHT printers.

what the G&G ink doesn't have is the lightfastness of Canon ink, but in most cases and most jobs, this is irrelevant. Only when you need archival prints should you worry about using $12 ink cartridges. Otherwise, the color and dependability of G&G rivals Canon. If it didn't, I assure you, I wouldn't be using the stuff for my business, book, and photo printing.

1) Run a purge print http://www.neilslade.com/gifs/TestPrint6Color.jpg

determine which colors are faulty

2) First replace the cart of the faulty color

3) run several more purge prints to get the ink going. DO NOT WASTE INK DOING HEAVY CLEANING CYCLES-- you can do 2 or 3 LIGHT CLEANINGS which only use air

4) If the color remains bad or doesn't show in the test print-- then spray out that color's white inlet sponge with compressed air per my sites instructions.

5) If THAT doesn't work, soak the whole head in 1 inch of denatured alcohol for 5 minutes, then rinse from both sides of the head with hot TAP water for 2 minutes.

6) If even THAT doesn't work, try soaking in a dish of WINDEX or amonia for a while, rinse and try again.

I would be really surprised if none of the above worked.

I've got Canon printers that still print PERFECT as the day they were new after TENS OF THOUSANDS of prints, on the original print head, with G&G ink.

Neil

kep55

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
NEIL, YOU'RE A GENIUS! You just saved me $150! I pulled the print head out and ran about 48 ounces of cold Brita-filtered water through the print head. I let it set for a couple hours and then ran the nozzle check. It printed. I ran your four color test blocks and they printer (although there's some horizontal banding on the magenta). I then printed Matisse's "Harmony in Red" (http://www.georgetown.edu/faculty/i...brary/Matisse/matisse-harmony_in_red-1908.jpg) and it printed pretty darn well on plain paper normal settings. Still some slight horizontal banding, but not enough to be really noticeable.
Thanks!
Oh, I guess I'll be keeping the G&G inks I ordered from Meritline.