G&G carts for Canon!!!

neilslade

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
G&G inkjet Canon Carts
April 5, 2006

I just wanted to make sure people are aware of the fact that G&G fixed the leaky cart issue.

I think this is VERY important for eveyone to know, primarily because my recent aftermarket ink cartridge tests showed that the G&G ink is clearly superior in terms of overall use and color accuracy compared to the other inks I tested.
Please see
http://www.neilslade.com/inktest.html

I will be testing Arrow, My Ink, and MMC carts this next week as well and posting the results on my site.

Thanks
Neil

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Neil - I've had good luck filling virgin MIS and Hobbicolors carts with MIS inks, which I have used after reading your info about a year and a half ago. I replaced the MIS fill hole plug with s.s. screws and o-rings and replaced the plastic screw in the HC carts with the screw/o-ring as well. Ink does come out of the MIS carts a bit more freely than OEM refilled carts, and there is a TINY bit of ink at the base of the intake in the printhead, but I've had no leaks and they function really well. MIS Virgin carts are a bit pricey, but I do have one set for the i960 and like them. You might consider trying a HC starter kit as I've read many posts about good ink from them in addition to the carts that come with the kit. Also, Alotofthings has several brands of bci-6 carts and if you call them you can verify that the Procolor carts are prefilled with Formulabs inks, which have gotten high marks from everyone who uses it. I don't know anything about the quality of the carts. If you try them please report back.

neilslade

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
There should be ZERO ink on the underside of the print head-- I tried the stainless steel screws and 0 rings and quickly abandoned- they all leaked. One person said he uses a hot glue gun successfully, I haven't tried that yet.

Thanks for the other leads.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Mybe I wasn't clear - there was no ink under the printhead - just a trace ring of color at the base of the cart outlet where it contacts the black foam gasket at the ink intake on top of the printhead. About the screw/o-ring - Rob had that problem initially and then realized that the O-rings he used weren't small enough in diameter. When he tightened the screw down the o-ring squeezed out from under the screw head and, therefore, didn't completely seal the fill hole. Did you use panhead sheet metal screws? You need a broad enough flat surface under the screw head to compress the o-ring but not squeeze it out from under the head. The o-ring has to be really tight fitting on the screw. Except for the set of OEM carts that came with my printer (fitted with computer friends blue blugs) all of my carts are sealed with the screw/0-ring and have never leaked.

neilslade

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
well, I used a tight o ring, and tightened it as much as I dared--

BUT NOW THAT I THINK ABOUT IT

I tired this primarily on G&G carts, which I am now finding are COMPLETELY CRAP lately

see my web page above- probably this is the leak problem not the o rings!

Fish Chris

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hey Neil, maybe I should have waited for a reply from Inkgrabber, before I made this post....

But I just have to say this; I just called Inkgrabber and spoke to a very nice girl by the name of Amy. In a friendly, but very straight foward way, I explained that "WE" have a big problem here.... and by "WE", I mean all of us that have purchased, and attempted to use these faulty carts, and "Inkgrabber" who has been selling all of these faulty carts. Before she could respond, I explained that this was a big internet topic, and that "The whole world was waiting to see how Inkgrabber was going to take care of their customers". (Geez, the Internet sure makes the old "isolated case" excuse obsolete, doesn't it ?)

I went on to say that, "Sure, I would like to have a whole bunch of carts replaced.... However, if they were not of a different brand, I would have near zero confidence in them". Amy said she understood this completely, and asked if she could look into this further, and then get back to me. I totally trust that she will.

Anyway, I finished the call by telling her that I have enjoyed doing business with them in the past, and that they have always been very friendly, helpful, and professional, and that I really hoped they could get this whole thing straight, as I would prefer to continue doing business with them in the future.....

Guess we will see, huh ?

More to come,
Fish

neilslade

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Out of curiosity-- what ALTITUDE do you live at?

I'm in Denver, CO 5280 feet, a mile high-- but this has never been an issue before....

BTW, yes, the Inkgrabber people have been wonderful to do business with- and I HATE like hell to complain about a product they sell-
but at this point, the G&G carts are UNUSABLE.

Osage

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I have never dealt with inkgrabber but a problem of this nature is somewhat an acid test of any vendor. In the interest of fair play, I think they have some rights to respond---and we can see if they stand behind their products.

But a batch of bad cartridges has huge damage potential--to possibly irreplaceable unchipped Canon printers.

Fish Chris

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Okay, they called me back from Inkgrabber, and gave me a very acceptable offer.....

They are sending me a return shipping label right now, so that I may send back all of the carts from my last order (well, almost all..... unfortunately, I threw away 3 or 4 of them, back before anyone knew how bad this whole thing was going to get) but basically, I have 9 carts in storage, 6 in the printer, and 3 or 4 in the inside trash can...... plus I will probably get 6 to 12 carts back from my buddy, who ordered for his i960 along, with my order.

Inkgrabber says they will replace "all" of these carts with the previous brand that they had sold (Rainbow....... hope they are not 'old' leftovers..... but either way, probably better than the current G & G carts). So I then asked if they were going to go back to Rainbow brand ? She said, they were not sure at the time being, but that they were looking at all the options, and working hard to rectify the situation.

So okay, Yes this has been a major pain in the arse, but on the other hand, I feel that the Inkgrabber staff is doing all that they can, to take care of this unfortunate situation.

Personally speaking, I will definately give them a fair chance, before dropping them.

Peace,
Fish

Oh, hey Neil, I live about 6 feet above sea level...... any lower, and I'd be swimming :)

neilslade

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Leaking ink doesn't harm the print head, its just an unecessary mess you have to clean up.

I would know, I've had to do it dozens of times with these carts.