Found a Canon MP620...

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Lukasz wrote:

Sorry for misinformation and thanks for explanations.
Sadly, I have to admit, but I was confident that these printers (ink type X20/X21) supports both CST input and standalone service mode operations. I was giving those instructions in last 1-2 years and no one was complaining - that's very bad.

You can do a nozzle check and a print head cleaning as stand alone printer operations on printers like the iP3600 of the PGI-x20/CLI-x21 generation. The printer only models have no LCD display.

These operations are done in normal user mode, not service mode, even if they involve the stop/resume button, and so are similar to the service mode operations on older printers. See this from the iP3600 service manual:

standalone.jpg

Łukasz

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
MG6250 (MG5150 before)
In Belgium it is not allowed to retrieve objects from the recycling area (even not from the street), once deposed is public property.

Hi,

in Poland there are plenty of these printers in aftermarket. I mean broken or returned printers from so-called Western Europe, transported on pallets, probably from large shops. Some are salvaged by scrapers directly from street in small numbers.

My recent printer (MG6250) is from German scrap site, I think. Is in far better shape than from local aftermarket.

Ł.

zepat

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon MP620
Here we are...cleaning the print head with "Pharmacist" solution, resetting the Canon Ink carts with resetter I got from "Palombian", refilling top method described by the wise master PeterBJ...this is a picture from Nozzle check from my fresh renovated MP620...
2014-08-01 09.43.37.jpg

I'm very happy today:weee:celebrate:ya
Thanks to all of you!!
Best regards

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Congratulations!!! :thumbsup

mswannie

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG3650, MG7550, MG7750
It looks to me like the printer has some clogged nozzles in pigment black, but no electronic damage to the print head or logic board, so with some luck in unclogging the print head you will have a fine printer :)

The most important thing to remember when unclogging Canon print heads is that water or cleaning fluid left where it does not belong, especially behind the ribbon cable and the circuit board can cause a short or a leakage current that can ruin not only the print head but also the logic board. The print head must be properly dried before reinstall.

Canon print heads rely on a steady ink flow to cool the nozzle heaters, without this cooling they risk burning out, so only print nozzle checks until the problem is solved.

For cleaning I recommend a window cleaner with ammonia or "Pharmacist's cleaning solution". Here is a gentle cleaning method that saved a salvaged Canon MP540 for me.

The problems with pigment black could be caused by the purge unit not working properly for pigment black, so I recommend to do this purge unit test by turbguy.

A service manual for the printer might be useful, you find it here. Sadly the server only works sporadically, so if the manual doesn't load, you will have to try again later. The server is online at this moment.

For an extended nozzle test and an EEPROM test print with the printer's history, you will need a canon service tool used with the printer in service mode. The procedure for entering the service mode and using the service tool is found in the service manual and also in the first post in this thread. The procedure is the same for the MP540 and the MP620. Even if the printer is wireless the service tools only work with a USB connection.

You find a download of Canon Service Tool v3400 here. The download contains two files, the service tool of around 400 kB and an unknown file around 10 MB. Delete the 10 MB file. Neither AVG internet Security nor Malwarebytes Antimalware found any threats in the download. Be very careful when searching for service manuals and service tools; there is a high risk of downloading something very unwanted.

Good luck with the unclogging and remember that one of the most important ingredients in print head cleaning is patience.
Hi Peter,

Sorry to be so annoying. the download above has two files but which do I delete - the bottom one? I have had all kinds of hassle with Webssearch and iStart and other vile things infecting our Windows PC recently and I'm really afraid to download stuff now.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Hi mswannie,

After unpacking the downloaded archive, it will contain a folder named Service tool v3400. This folder contains two files named Service tool v3400 and st3400.

The Service tool v3400 that is 434 kB in size is the file to keep.

The st3400 file is an unknown file type and 11194 kB in size. This larger st3400 file should be deleted.

I understand your fear of suspect downloads after having had some nasty infections. The search for the service tools and service manuals has become very risky during the last half year. You need a good Internet security program that is kept up to date if you venture into the "dark alleys" of the internet. Always scan downloads before opening them.

I have checked the download using both AVG Internet security, paid de luxe version, plus the free version of Malwarebytes Antimalware (MBAM) that does on demand scans. Neither security program found any threats in the download.

I hope this answers your question.

Last edited:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Always scan downloads before opening them.

I have checked the download using both AVG Internet security, paid de luxe version, plus the free version of Malwarebytes Antimalware (MBAM) that does on demand scans. Neither security program found any threats in the download.
One more thing I use at times is a scan done at https://www.virustotal.com/ which will scan your file, either a single file or a compressed (Zip) file, by 54 different anti-viral, anti-malware applications on their server. I just test scanned an .exe installation file and it found 1 out of 54 positives. I interpreted this as a false positive. Other times it is quite obvious when multiple well-respected anti-malware apps red flag the file you are scanning. So you still have to use your own judgement with this web site. But it is still the "bee's knees" of scanner sights that I know of.

Last edited: