FIRST hand evaluation of removable plug aftermarket cartridges

M

macbroom

I am starting this thread to provide refillers with a facts only reference about using clear

aftermarket refillable cartridges that have REMOVABLE PLUGS, in their Canon printers.

I would politely ask that all posters to this thread report first hand experience only and

copy/paste the following standard format when posting.

PRINTER MODEL # :
CARTRIDGE TYPE :
ELEMENT TYPE (FOAM/FIBRE) :
RETAILER/COUNTRY :
RECOMMEND RETAILER (YES/NO) :
INK TYPE/BRAND :
NUMBER OF REFILLS TO DATE :
RATING OF PRINT QUALITY(1-10) :
CHIP TYPE(OEM/AFTER M/ARC) :
RESETTER TYPE/BRAND :
ACCURACY OF INK LEVELS(1-10) :
RESET PROBLEMS(YES/NO) :
CART LEAK(YES/NO). :
BAD SEAL ON PLUG(YES/NO) :

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS:

Please use this format and refrain from turning this thread into a back and forth debate over

the advantages/disadvantages of this method of refilling.

Thanks,

Max

Here are my results:

PRINTER MODEL # : MG 6120
CARTRIDGE TYPE : PGI-225/CLI-226
ELEMENT TYPE (FOAM/FIBRE) : FIBRE
RETAILER/COUNTRY : Inkproducts.com/USA
RECOMMEND RETAILER (YES/NO) : YES
INK TYPE/BRAND : UV PROTECTIVE/BRAND UNKNOWN
NUMBER OF REFILLS TO DATE : 2
RATING OF PRINT QUALITY(1-10) : 9
CHIP TYPE(OEM/AFTER M/ARC) : OEM
RESETTER TYPE/BRAND : BLUE,BATTERY POWERED/BRAND UNKNOWN
ACCURACY OF INK LEVELS(1-10) : 7
RESET PROBLEMS(YES/NO) : NO
CART LEAK/BAD SEAL(YES/NO) : NO

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: 2 of my oem chips only gave a slightly longer final flash as opposed to

a steady on. From what I read this is standard for EU chips and maybe the Canon Canada

printer had 2 of these included with my printer.

M

macbroom

I'm going to bump my own thread.

I've been doing a fair bit of reading on this site lately and I understand that the opinion of some of the most frequent posters is to USE OEM CARTS ONLY to refill. Comments such as "been there, done that". I would be interested in the specifics of your first hand experiences with those carts and what exactly were the problems with them...poor ink flow, clogging, print head flooding, leaking, print quality decrease over time etc.

I have also read some comments in the non oem cart section of the forum of people who have had good results with certain brands of this type of cart after many refills. What brand were they and where did you purchase them?

Please stick to the standard form and put other observations in the comments section.

Thank you for checking in on my thread and good luck in your refilling endeavors....regardless of method!

panos

Print Addict
Reaction score
PRINTER MODEL # : MP750
CARTRIDGE TYPE : BCI-3BK
ELEMENT TYPE (FOAM/FIBRE) : FIBER
RETAILER/COUNTRY : UNKNOWN/GREECE
INK TYPE/BRAND : N/A
NUMBER OF REFILLS TO DATE : 80
RATING OF PRINT QUALITY(1-10) : N/A
CHIP TYPE(OEM/AFTER M/ARC) : N/A
RESETTER TYPE/BRAND : N/A
ACCURACY OF INK LEVELS(1-10) : N/A
RESET PROBLEMS(YES/NO) : N/A
CART LEAK/BAD SEAL(YES/NO) : NO

ALSO

CARTRIDGE TYPE : BCI-3M
ELEMENT TYPE (FOAM/FIBRE) : FIBER
RETAILER/COUNTRY : UNKNOWN/GREECE
RECOMMEND RETAILER (YES/NO) : NO
NUMBER OF REFILLS TO DATE : 2
CART LEAK/BAD SEAL(YES/NO) : YES

AND

CARTRIDGE TYPE : BCI-3
ELEMENT TYPE (FOAM/FIBRE) : N/A (SPONGELESS)
RETAILER/COUNTRY : JETYOUNG/CHINA
NUMBER OF REFILLS TO DATE : 0
CART LEAK/BAD SEAL(YES/NO) : YES

The above illustrates the difficulty in your effort. Aftermarket cartridges are just too many, to random, too changing.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
panos said:
The above illustrates the difficulty in your effort. Aftermarket cartridges are just too many, to random, too changing.
Many years ago I purchased prefilled bci-6 "arrow" carts. When Nifty-Stuff reported that some had feed problems and when he opened a fill hole to refill them the remaining level in the reservoir side sudeenly dropped and was sucked into the sponge. I took the cover off of the air vent maze and found that there were two different carts - obvoiusly pressed by different molds - with the same brand label and from the same vendor. There are so many factories in China making these carts, and the vendors undoubtedly pick the least costly ones to sell. I'm sure that you would get one manufacturer's carts one time and another the next from the same reseller. The carts that had feed problems had a much smaller air vent hole. I expanded it and then had no trouble with them. Some time later I was given about 80 bci-6 OEM once-used carts, so I threw the aftermarket ones away and never bought non OEM carts again.

wilko

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma
I only use OEM carts for refilling but I have used "Think" carts, from Choice Stationary UK , in the past and they were of good quality. Using OEM carts is the best bet but if you really need to use aftermarket carts, the price is a clue to their quality. Cheap aftermarket carts mean trouble. More expensive carts are almost always of better quality. However, bear in mind that there may be exceptions to this rule.

M

macbroom

As this thread has degraded to include non form responses it might as well be a free for all regarding this method .

I agree with the last post...I am in Canada and paid over $130 (including GST/shipping etc.) to set myself up to refill my 6120. I didn't buy some cheap crap carts from eBay. The carts alone cost $40. As the Hat has said you need to spend some money to save money and I agree with that. There are 3 or 4 non eBay sellers that sell this type of cart and I am interested in the results that others have had with these carts and even with the eBay carts.

If we don't move forward we fall backward!

galore

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
anyone has any experience with seller and item 270937343658 on ebay please ? Would appreciate any comments

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
galore said:
anyone has any experience with seller and item 270937343658 on ebay please ? Would appreciate any comments
The item you were looking to buy will work for you but cant say anymore than that about them.
My advice to you is to stick with OEM cartridges if you wish to refill and have as little problem as possible..:)

CakeHole

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP610
I am starting this thread to provide refillers with a facts only reference about using clear

aftermarket refillable cartridges that have REMOVABLE PLUGS, in their Canon printers.

I would politely ask that all posters to this thread report first hand experience only and

copy/paste the following standard format when posting.

SNIP...

Im not going to do that because there is no need, if you are in Canada and want to..... "provide refillers with a facts only reference about using clear aftermarket refillable cartridges that have REMOVABLE PLUGS, in their Canon printers."...... Then i suggest you and any other fellow Canadians just head on over to...
http://www.precisioncolors.com/canon.html
Find the printer you want them for and buy a set there.

Any question on quality you can address to the boss on here named @mikling though i can assure you already he will only stock versions that work and what he has tried and found to be best.

Depending on model of printer he will either supply flushed OEM carts or aftermarket refill carts with auto-reset chips, like these... http://www.precisioncolors.com/C5Ecart.html

Last edited:

CakeHole

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP610
There are plenty of cheaper alternatives on ebay. Why does everyone here post precision colors and octoinkjet?? Is this a commercial front for these sites masquerading as a printer forum?

Or maybe it is because some people do not make recommendations just based on price but how much you can Trust the individual.

There are loads of people that post Ebay links on here, Alibaba and other marketplaces also, if you do a search you would realise that.

If you had bothered to read the whole thread you would also see there was a choice stationary (a UK company) recommendation before mine.

If you think it is a front for 2 companies in completely different parts of the globe then you are free to leave and not have to read any of it. Probably best if you are going to zero in on single posts rather than read a thread entirely.